Stardust The Superwizard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stardust The Superwizard

I hope and pray that Stardust The Superwizard will appear in future issue .I would love to see how or if Alex Ross would redesign his costume.He is one of my all time favorite golden age characters.

Thing is, AC Comics owns the Stardust trademark. This doesn't necessarily stop Stardust from appearing (so long as the name isn't mentioned on the cover or in the solicits, it's not a trademark violation), but Super Power Heroes Inc (the corporate entity that owns Project Superpowers) has a history of changing characters' names to avoid trademark conflicts. Of course, they could dodge the problem by trademarking "Stardust the Super-Wizard," but I am not sure they would be willing to do that.

Comment

I can't see why they would want Stardust in the first place. He was a terrible character, had every power in the book and then manifested new powers to suit whatever villain he was fighting that issue. It would require a complete overhaul on the character to make him worth reading. Perhaps loosing the "Super-Wizard" angle and just making him "Stardust" would be enough to largely fix both the copyright problems and the character problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Constantinople
        I can't see why they would want Stardust in the first place. He was a terrible character, had every power in the book and then manifested new powers to suit whatever villain he was fighting that issue. It would require a complete overhaul on the character to make him worth reading. Perhaps loosing the "Super-Wizard" angle and just making him "Stardust" would be enough to largely fix both the copyright problems and the character problems.

I'm not familiar with this character but heroes that have the abilities to do whatever it takes to beat someone are boring to read IMO. But your suggestions would most likely help that issue and create a fun to read character. The "Super Wizard" would have to go, but "Stardust" sounds cool.
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

But back in the golden and sliver age Superman had new power nearly every 2nd issue.I think it great that Stardust is nearly omnipotent.

Comment

Originally posted by flood1976
            But back in the golden and sliver age Superman had new power nearly every 2nd issue.I think it great that Stardust is nearly omnipotent.
            No, that was just Superman using his standard powers in different ways. They were all some sort of combination of Super-Speed and Super-Strength.
            Okay, he started to Fly rather than Jump Over Buildings at some point, but that's more of a Ret-Con than anything else.

Now, the Superman Movies? There Superman manifested new powers at the drop of a hat. Time Travel? Duplication/Illusion? And that thing he used on Non, that cello-tape-"S"? Crazy.

Also, Stardust being Omnipotent and being in the Dynamite Super Powers universe would be terrible.
            "Oh, no! The Supremacy has launched the Clown's latest-"
            "Don't worry, Black Terror, I've already defeated them."
            "Oh. Er, thanks, Stardust-"
            "No worries. Also, I've captured the Advocate, Black Baron and Emperor Seng II."
            "Hey, er, leave some for us, or we won't have a story-"
            "Sorry, what was that? I defeated all of Dynamic Forces while you were talking."
            "Hey, look here-"
            "Oh, and World Peace has been met, and I've come up with a way to solve World Hunger."
            "Er-"
            "Frankly, I don't know why I didn't do any of this stuff sooner."

You know what P:SP doesn't have that all the other Super Hero universes have? Something happening in Space. There must be some sort of Golden Age alien threat for a space-travelling Stardust to fight.

Comment

That was hilarious!

But if they revamped Stardust and the urn effected his omnipotence then maybe it could work.....?

No, that was just Superman using his standard powers in different ways. They were all some sort of combination of Super-Speed and Super-Strength.
              Okay, he started to Fly rather than Jump Over Buildings at some point, but that's more of a Ret-Con than anything else.

Now, the Superman Movies? There Superman manifested new powers at the drop of a hat. Time Travel? Duplication/Illusion? And that thing he used on Non, that cello-tape-"S"? Crazy.

Also, Stardust being Omnipotent and being in the Dynamite Super Powers universe would be terrible.
              "Oh, no! The Supremacy has launched the Clown's latest-"
              "Don't worry, Black Terror, I've already defeated them."
              "Oh. Er, thanks, Stardust-"
              "No worries. Also, I've captured the Advocate, Black Baron and Emperor Seng II."
              "Hey, er, leave some for us, or we won't have a story-"
              "Sorry, what was that? I defeated all of Dynamic Forces while you were talking."
              "Hey, look here-"
              "Oh, and World Peace has been met, and I've come up with a way to solve World Hunger."
              "Er-"
              "Frankly, I don't know why I didn't do any of this stuff sooner."

You know what P:SP doesn't have that all the other Super Hero universes have? Something happening in Space. There must be some sort of Golden Age alien threat for a space-travelling Stardust to fight.
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980
                But if they revamped Stardust and the urn effected his omnipotence then maybe it could work.....?
                If the guy is Omnipotent, then how did Fighting Yank get him in the Urn in the first place?

"Hey, Stardust, would you mind taking a minute off your busy schedule and stare at that wall while I prepare to point this Urn at you?"
                "Why, yes, of course! But what's so important about this wall- Wait, Urn? What are- OH GOD!"

Taking the guy's power levels down in the first place, as it were, would be a good place to start. But, then, he'd just be a non-patriotic Super-American. You could probably play up that he's an alien and he's trying to hide that from all the Human Super Heroes.
                But of course, this is all up to Alex and Jim to decide what characters are introduced and which are not.

Plus, it looks like that AC Comics has a pretty firm grip on the rights to the character in the first place, what with owning both Stardust the Super Wizard (I know there's a collection of his, plus other Golden Age stories in print) and a similarly named character.

Comment

Plus, it looks like that AC Comics has a pretty firm grip on the rights to the character in the first place, what with owning both Stardust the Super Wizard (I know there's a collection of his, plus other Golden Age stories in print) and a similarly named character.
                  As I said, they own the trademark. A collection of his original adventures was published by Fantagraphics Books, and, as their disclaimer correctly states, all of his original appearances and the rights to the character himself are all in public domain.

Now, as for Stardust being too powerful, I think it would be to leave him as is. The reason why I'm saying this is that, taken outside the context of his stories, Stardust as a sociopathic murderer with major entitlement complex and no regard for any opinion other then his own. Playing him like that would make him the most dangerous villain our heroes ever faced.
                  Last edited by Strannik; 11-09-2008, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I think Stardust would work perfectly in the Sp universe even in his all powerful form, but I think he should stay a hero, there is already one hero who has become a villain and thats one to many. I think Krueger is good enough writer to put a interesting spin on Stardust.

Comment

Originally posted by Strannik
                      As I said, they own the trademark. A collection of his original adventures was published by Fantagraphics Books, and as their disclaimer correctly states, all of his original appearances and the rights to the character himself are all in public domain.
                      Well, that shuts me up, then!

Originally posted by flood1976
                      I think Stardust would work perfectly in the Sp universe even in his all powerful form, but I think he should stay a hero, there is already one hero who has become a villain and thats one to many. I think Krueger is good enough writer to put a interesting spin on Stardust.
                      Frankly, the only good spin that I personally can think of Strannik's. From a non-linear prospective, Stardust is more nuts than a room full of scotums and a murderous nut at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Strannik View Post
                        As I said, they own the trademark. A collection of his original adventures was published by Fantagraphics Books, and, as their disclaimer correctly states, all of his original appearances and the rights to the character himself are all in public domain.

Now, as for Stardust being too powerful, I think it would be to leave him as is. The reason why I'm saying this is that, taken outside the context of his stories, Stardust as a sociopathic murderer with major entitlement complex and no regard for any opinion other then his own. Playing him like that would make him the most dangerous villain our heroes ever faced.
                        I too would like to see Stardust as a Hero turned Villain.

Comment

Working...
                        X