Urn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urn

How many hero were trap in the Urn??? and how was the Fighting Yank able to trap them all???? Another thing I found strange is why did the Fighting Yank not trap some super villain's in the Urn too?????

We have no knowledge of how many heroes were trapped. We were given "the List" of characters that we believed were the basis of this universe, but with the Prelude issue we see this involves more characters than were on the list - President West/Power Nelson and the Ghost being heroes not on the list. West wasn't trapped in the urn but the Ghost was. I wonder if Ross and Krueger have a definite list of classic characters they are going to use, or if they just plan to throw them in as they find uses for them. The Urn being the equivant of being a mutant in the Marvel Universe - the explaination needing no explaination.

As for the Super Villain question - if he was being manipulated for evil purposes, as it seems he was, he would not have been directed to do so. He was "following orders" like a good Soldier. He just should have questioned where those orders were coming from.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

I hope that the Urn will not always be used as the source for all the golden age heroes return.So far the only ones not affected are the Green Lama and Fighting Yank.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeyD
        As for the Super Villain question - if he was being manipulated for evil purposes, as it seems he was, he would not have been directed to do so. He was "following orders" like a good Soldier. He just should have questioned where those orders were coming from.
        I'd have to go have another look, but didn't the heroes represent hope? If so, trapping villains would have no purpose anyway. In other words, I think you're right, but I also think that's why Spirit didn't question it.

As far as how many there were, I agree that there might be a master list, but I doubt we'll ever see it in case the writers wanted to update it. Revealing it would just cause the writers to limit themselves.

Comment

Even if they reveal who is on the list, they can make changes in the future. After all, the list would not be in stone. I sure hope Iron Jaw is in the Urn. I'm also hoping Fox's Wonderman is there also!

Comment

Originally posted by Glens46golden
            Even if they reveal who is on the list, they can make changes in the future. After all, the list would not be in stone. I sure hope Iron Jaw is in the Urn. I'm also hoping Fox's Wonderman is there also!
            Depends. If they reveal it as part of the story, they're kind of commited to it.

Say Spirit writes down everyone so that the current group goes to find them all and make sure they're okay. Then, the writers want to throw Iron Jaw into the story, but he wasn't on Spirit's original list. How do you get around that? That Spirit forgot about him? "Oh yeah...That guy!"

If it's just a list on the website then sure, you can do whatever you want with it. But I think it's better kept as a mystery so that when characters appear, it's a surprise.

Comment

There is always an easy was around something like the list. For example, if Iron Jaw wasn't on the list, and later it was decided to use Iron Jaw, the write would state the list only had good guys and Iron Jaw isn't a good guy. Something like this is easy to fix..I mean it is only a comic book!
              Last edited by Glens46golden; 01-07-2009, 02:08 PM.

Comment

There is always an easy was around something like the list. For example, if Iron Jaw wasn't on the list, and later it was decided to use Iron Jaw, the write would state the list only had good guys and Iron Jaw isn't a good guy. Something like this is easy to fit..I mean it is only a comic book!
                If you're talking about the real world then yes, they can do whatever they want if they have a master list, I totally agree. They don't even have to explain it.

Comment

Who said that Fighting Yank was the only person to use the Urn.Who knows how many used it in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by flood1976
                    Who said that Fighting Yank was the only person to use the Urn.Who knows how many used it in the past.
                    When Yank is given his orders, he's told that Hitler acquired the urn during WW1.

Of course, they could be wrong. Or lying. But Yank did find it where they said it would be.
                    Last edited by Captain Canuck; 01-05-2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Let say that they wanted to use Supersnipe in a Dynamite comic and he wasn't on the list of heroes put in the Urn. All they would have to say is that he was in a dark corner of the Urn and they didn"t know he was there. It is no big deal, let Ross print a list of which heroes are in the damn Urn!

Comment

Let say that they wanted to use Supersnipe in a Dynamite comic and he wasn't on the list of heroes put in the Urn. All they would have to say is that he was in a dark corner of the Urn and they didn"t know he was there. It is no big deal, let Ross print a list of which heroes are in the damn Urn!
                        I'm not arguing with you, Glen, but I'm still unclear as to whether you mean in the comic book itself or in the real world.

Yes, if Ross wants to give Newsarama a list of the heroes he intends to use, that's fine. If one day they come across a character that they want to add to it, no big deal.

But if it's actually done as part of the story, it wouldn't make sense for them to do it. Do you own issue #0? Yank physically went to each hero and had him (or her) sucked into the urn. If Yank ever gives a full list of who he put in there, it makes no sense that he would forget someone.

The best explanation around it might be to say that Yank deliberately omitted Supersnipe for some personal reason, but even if that works, why paint yourself in that corner? Especially since you would be pinning that behaviour on a character who is trying to right past wrongs.

So what I'm basically saying is if Ross wants to issue a list, go right ahead (the character sketches in the backs of the books are pretty much that very thing anyway), but I doubt he'll do it as part of continuity.

I guess the reason we don't fully see eye to eye is that I don't buy into the "it's just comics" mentality. Even if it's just comics, I still want the story to make sense within the rules they've set. To just shrug it off as Supersnipe being in a dark corner would be pretty weak story-telling. Who put him there? Why? When? How did he or she get access to the urn?

These (and probably more) are all questions that they would have to do deal that they could easily avoid by never making the list part of continuity. So while I am personally interested in seeing it, I can understand why we never saw it in the comic book itself.

Edit: Name correction. I kept referring to the Fighting Yank as "Spirit".
                        Last edited by Captain Canuck; 01-05-2009, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Okay, we won't argue anymore. I guess I'm upset becasue I'd really like to see a list printed. As for good story telling, I think the Urn was a very good story telling idea. The way Ross has done this, all these guys were put in the Urn in their early or mid-twenties. They shouldn't age for years. I guess I'm exciting about Dynamite becasue they are using the best characters from many companies and have the potential of being one of the Big 3. This hasn't happened since Tower Comics came out with the Thunder Agents.

Comment

I'm of two minds on this subject.

1) I'd really like to see a definitive list so I can research all of these characters before hand.

2) I do not want to see a definitive list so that I can be surprised by the appearance of new characters.

I can't decide which I really want. If there was a list, I would probably limit my GA research and reading to only those characters. Without one, I'm discovering even more characters during my research than I otherwise would, which is also a lot of fun.
                            DECODER RING THEATRE
                            EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                            PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                            PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty curious too, especially when I saw the character designs at the end of each issue. Taht became one of the things I looked forward to most!

I think I would like to see the list too because even if I know a character I like is expected to be used, I won't necessarily know when he'll pop up so it'll still be a surprise (like the one Yank got when he took three arrows in the chest. Great surprise!).

I'm not AGAINST seeing it in the story, but I think I understand why they'd be relunctant to put it there. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X