No announcement yet.

Urn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a little more food for thought for you; I wonder if Yanks' mission involved going to other countries?

Those of view with sharp detective skills probably peiced together that I'm Canadian. I know of a couple of WW2-time heroes in Canadian comics at the time. Did Europe have them as well?

It stands to reason that if Yank was sent to recover the heroes because they represented hope, he might have had to do so in other parts of the world as well.

What I don't know is how the "public domain" laws work. I came across a picture of a football game here in the 20's. It was said to be public domain, but does that mean that literally everyone can use it, or can it just be used in the country in which the work was done? I assume it's everyone.

If so, if they were so inclined, the writers might be able to include a group of international heroes as well. I'd be all over that.

Comment

Interesting. Copyright laws pertaining to Public Domain do differ from country to country. I think the US laws are currently the most adverse to things falling into Public Domain, though. The US has too many large corporations who need to keep control of their characters (Mickey Mouse, Superman, etc.). An example of the differing copyright laws actually just came up as Popeye is now Public Domain in Europe, but still very much under copyright in the US. Another example would be Peter Pan. The book and character are Public Domain in the US, but are still copyright protected in the UK. The UK keeps renewing the copyright since it is owned by a children's hospital there and generates a steady income for them.
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
      PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
      PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Many of you are probably aware of it, but here's a good resource for foreign superhero (mostly) characters.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/nonus.htm

Man, Spain has got some sharp looking ones...

Comment

I just assumed that every PD hero was in the Urn. In the sketch book they had the Shield and he is NOT a PD hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Glens46golden
            Okay, we won't argue anymore. I guess I'm upset becasue I'd really like to see a list printed. As for good story telling, I think the Urn was a very good story telling idea. The way Ross has done this, all these guys were put in the Urn in their early or mid-twenties. They shouldn't age for years. I guess I'm exciting about Dynamite becasue they are using the best characters from many companies and have the potential of being one of the Big 3. This hasn't happened since Tower Comics came out with the Thunder Agents.
            I agree about the Urn, it was a great way to bring the characters back and to explain a lot of things that may have "WTF" type questions to them.

About the "list" of characters debate, I'm kinda with Mikey on this one. I'd love to know who is on their way so I can check things out before hand, but I love being suprised and being like "Yes!!!!" when I see an old favorite or a character I always wanted to read about.
            Dynamite Entertainment
            Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Terror
              I just assumed that every PD hero was in the Urn. In the sketch book they had the Shield and he is NOT a PD hero.

Sorry Black Terror which sketch book did you see the Shield in????

Comment

I think he's referring to that first image of the American Spirit which was in the original Preview book (and later in Fighting Yank's War Journal). Below/inside the Spirit it shows various patriotic heroes including The Shield, Captain America, Uncle Sam, Captain Courageaous, Captain Battle, and several others. It was not intended to show characters appearing in Superpowers - Captain America is also very much copyrighted - only to show the inspiration for the Spirit.

On a side note - I'd rather see the Archie heroes in Superpowers than the main DCU...
                DECODER RING THEATRE
                EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeyD
                  I think he's referring to that first image of the American Spirit which was in the original Preview book (and later in Fighting Yank's War Journal). Below/inside the Spirit it shows various patriotic heroes including The Shield, Captain America, Uncle Sam, Captain Courageaous, Captain Battle, and several others. It was not intended to show characters appearing in Superpowers - Captain America is also very much copyrighted - only to show the inspiration for the Spirit.

On a side note - I'd rather see the Archie heroes in Superpowers than the main DCU...

Thanks for the update Mad Mikey and I agree with you 100% I would love to see Archies heroes as a part of the PSP universe.

Comment

I was wondering why where the superheroes sidekicks not affected by there stay in the Urn?

Comment

How do we know they were not affected? We have only seen the one picture of them (Prelude) that I'm aware of.
                      DECODER RING THEATRE
                      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Originally posted by Black Terror
                        I just assumed that every PD hero was in the Urn.
                        Well, not everyone was actually in the Urn. Here are the heroes we know for sure were not:

Green Lama (hidden in Tibet)
                        Samson (wandering the globe unknown to everyone)
                        Dynamic Man & Dynamic Boy (forming Dynamic Forces)
                        American Crusader (whereabouts unknown)
                        DECODER RING THEATRE
                        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Working...
                        X