Green Lama - The Common Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lama - The Common Thread

We are now 13 issues (PS #0-7, #1/2, FCBD, BT #1-2, DDD #1) into the Project Superpowers Universe and while Black Terror, (Dare)Devil, and Masquerade have the first spin-offs, it seems the writers have another favorite character - the Green Lama. The Green Lama and Black Terror are the only characters who have appeared in every issue so far, and Terror only appears on the TV screen in 'Devil #1. Lama has had at least a semi-active role in every stage of the story to date. I would hope he'd be in line for the next round of spin-offs, but fear he may end up in more of an advisory role throughout the line. At least, that's what it looks like at this point.
    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 12-17-2008, 10:03 PM.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

For me that's how i'd like him to be, he kind of reminds me of Dr. Strange or The Spectre, he could do his own thing in a series or bounce between books, either way I'm a happy man.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I agree that the Green Lama could be one of the more successful characters. It will be interesting to see what Dynamite does in regards to which costume the Green Lama will wear. If you carefully check out his various appearances, you will note that occasionally he is wearing the all dark green robe and at other times the more traditional two-tone green, tight fitting Mac Raboy costume with wide belt, gloves and trunks. Personally, I favor the Mac Raboy look. Have others an opinion?

Comment

As close to a "Raboy look" ... as possible!!

Originally posted by Glens46golden
        I agree that the Green Lama could be one of the more successful characters. It will be interesting to see what Dynamite does in regards to which costume the Green Lama will wear. If you carefully check out his various appearances, you will note that occasionally he is wearing the all dark green robe and at other times the more traditional two-tone green, tight fitting Mac Raboy costume with wide belt, gloves and trunks. Personally, I favor the Mac Raboy look. Have others an opinion?
        I prefer the Mac Raboy look, too!!
        I'm worried that Green Lama is "too old"!!
        I would hope he could get a bit younger, put on his gloves, and "pound" the crap out of a few villains once in a while.

It seems as though the artists are making him look too "old"... or not facially well-defined enough... (maybe it's just me) ... but I hope they get him to look a lot more heroic, define what he looks like more clearly, and get him into an adventure or two...in a Raboy costume.

He can have an advisory role---but let him become an Action hero, too!!

He COULD be one of the more successful characters!! I agree!!
        Last edited by captainzero; 12-20-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Im indifferent on his look, but I'd like to see more of him in action but I'd like for him to keep within the advisor role as well. So many oppertunities with him...
          Dynamite Entertainment
          Forum Administrator

Comment

Green Lama... how do you look??

Originally posted by comixfan1980
            Im indifferent on his look, but I'd like to see more of him in action but I'd like for him to keep within the advisor role as well. So many oppertunities with him...
            Well, I'M not indifferent about his "look".

To me, it makes a difference in how he looks.
            When I said I thought he "was not facially well-defined enough ... but I hope they get him to look a lot more heroic, and define what he looks like more clearly," .... I really meant it.

I would like to see the DE P:SP's artists decide what "he looks like"!!

I would hope they look at Raboy's Green Lama... his face...and his body structure... and say: "This is OUR Green Lama!" "This is what he looks like."

Then, give each artist a copy of Raboy's drawings of Green Lama's face shots: front view, side view, ... etc. ...and then each artist would know how he looks... and how they should draw him.

Man, I really complained about how Green Lama looked in the Give Away... SuperPowers book with 'Devil and The Claw on the cover. I thought the Green Lama looked terrible in that issue. (Yet, nobody complained but me.)

I don't know who the artist thought he was drawing... but whoever it was--- he sure didn't look like The Green Lama. (I ask you to go back to that issue ...the Dynamite Special ... Free Comic Book Day... The Death-Defying 'DEVIL Issue... and look at the Green Lama on page 2 and page 3.

What the heck was the artist thinking when he drew those panels of Green Lama.!?? I'm sorry... but that DOES NOT look like Jethro Dumont...The Green Lama!! Ya can't fool me!!

Like I said, I would like to see him as a strong, heroic, Raboy-type Green Lama...so that we can, at least, recognize him.
            Last edited by captainzero; 12-20-2008, 08:01 PM.

Comment

a new Green Lama solo series, yes! I keep suggesting it

And if the title right to this public domain character is impossible to get, then a bit like a certain Captain Marvel forced to the battle cry Shazam, the character of Green Lama could be piblished under his own battle cry

"Om Mani Padme Hum"
              or
              "Superpowers Of The Lama"
              or
              "The Magnificent Lama"
              or
              "The Great Lama" (2 letters short from full original title)

Cool replacement titles are endless

I also love everyone of those Dark Horse Green Lama hardcover archives 1 & 2, and hope for more golden age comics reprints Project Superpowers related and others, DC, Marvel, Pulp,,, in quality paper hardcovers, from any publishers that have the balls to do them

And speaking of Green Lama, here are the old time radio classics of the Green Lama still available, with one recreation

http://sites.google.com/site/bedardrenaud/greenlama
              Last edited by Renaud; 02-18-2011, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Well I guess thats how you feel, but I don't see the casual reader really caring too much, if at all. LOL half the PS readers probably don't even know who he is nevermind his different looks.

Maybe he will get his own mini or ongoing someday and they will revise his look to appeal to the "classic" crowd???

Originally posted by captainzero
                Well, I'M not indifferent about his "look".

To me, it makes a difference in how he looks.
                When I said I thought he "was not facially well-defined enough ... but I hope they get him to look a lot more heroic, and define what he looks like more clearly," .... I really meant it.

I would like to see the DE P:SP's artists decide what "he looks like"!!

I would hope they look at Raboy's Green Lama... his face...and his body structure... and say: "This is OUR Green Lama!" "This is what he looks like."

Then, give each artist a copy of Raboy's drawings of Green Lama's face shots: front view, side view, ... etc. ...and then each artist would know how he looks... and how they should draw him.

Man, I really complained about how Green Lama looked in the Give Away... SuperPowers book with 'Devil and The Claw on the cover. I thought the Green Lama looked terrible in that issue. (Yet, nobody complained but me.)

I don't know who the artist thought he was drawing... but whoever it was--- he sure didn't look like The Green Lama. (I ask you to go back to that issue ...the Dynamite Special ... Free Comic Book Day... The Death-Defying 'DEVIL Issue... and look at the Green Lama on page 2 and page 3.

What the heck was the artist thinking when he drew those panels of Green Lama.!?? I'm sorry... but that DOES NOT look like Jethro Dumont...The Green Lama!! Ya can't fool me!!

Like I said, I would like to see him as a strong, heroic, Raboy-type Green Lama...so that we can, at least, recognize him.
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980
                  Well I guess thats how you feel, but I don't see the casual reader really caring too much, if at all. LOL half the PS readers probably don't even know who he is nevermind his different looks.

Maybe he will get his own mini or ongoing someday and they will revise his look to appeal to the "classic" crowd???
                  The look of Green Lama in Project Superpowers is perfect the way it is, and if he gets his own series which seems more and more unavoidable, I hope the same design is kept; all though, I would also like to see occasionally Jet in civilian clothes, like a suit and tie, old time classic radio feel

To me the Superpowers BIG THREE are

DAREDEVIL - BLACK TERROR - GREEN LAMA
                  Last edited by Renaud; 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud
                    The look of Green Lama in Project Superpowers is perfect the way it is, and if he gets his own series which seems more and more unavoidable, I hope the same design is kept; all though, I would also like to see occasionally Jet in civilian clothes, like a suit and tie, old time classic radio feel

I agree, I love the look of him the way he is and it works for me. Now if we can only get him his own series.....

I hope after the mini's DE decides to make DDD am ongoing.....
                    Dynamite Entertainment
                    Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Glens46golden
                      could you show a pic of the other look?

Comment

Green Lama is one of those characters who seem to have a "mystical" feel to him kinda like Obi-Wan, where that if he died or something happened to him he could come back as a spirit and give guidence to the other characters. I personaly wouldn't mind him in this role after a few years....
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud

Terror, DDD & Green Lama are most definatly the "big 3" of the PS universe, add Masquerade and Samson and you got your top 5!
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Comment

Masquerade was mostly in the background during the first Project: Superpowers mini-series. I was quite confused when I heard the announcement that she would be in the first round of spin-offs, as she had hardly no face time.

I mean, I'll buy all the issues anyway, but she just seemed like an odd choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiclo
                              Masquerade was mostly in the background during the first Project: Superpowers mini-series. I was quite confused when I heard the announcement that she would be in the first round of spin-offs, as she had hardly no face time.

I mean, I'll buy all the issues anyway, but she just seemed like an odd choice.
                              I think there was a comment about her being more important than people realize. Sounds like they have big plans for her.
                              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X