Alex Ross' Covers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Ross' Covers

Bear in mind, I have not been an obsessive collector of comics for many years. I may just be looking at the wrong comics.

I seem to recall - in my heavy collecting days, nearly 20 years ago - that comic book covers generally had something to do with the story. Whether previewing the issue's big fight, teasing a big plot-twist, or something. Since I've started reading comics again, I've noticed a lot of books now seem to have pretty generic covers. Generally the hero striking a dramatic pose. Even my favorite comic - The Lone Ranger - has been guilty of this. Cover blurbs are a rarity, word ballons even more so. I miss all of that.

Having said that, I've noticed Alex Ross' covers for these spin-offs really do (or look like they will, anyway) reflect what's happening in the pages underneath. And we even get some cover blurbs - "Reintroducing the Silver Streak!" "Reintroducing the Ghost!" "The Abducted!" A beautiful throwback to the days of old. Of course, that's fitting for a series reviving Golden Age characters. I've also noticed this rule applies to the majority of Ross' Marvel and DC work as well. You can look at most of his recent JSA, Avengers/Invaders, and Superman covers and get an idea of what you are going to read about. (his depiction of Superman vs. Atlas is a particular favorite of mine.)

As much as I love Alex Ross' covers as just wonderful works of art, I wanted to give him kudos for keeping (most of) them tied into the actual contents of the books themselves. It's something I haven't seen a whole lot of covers do in these last couple years I've been visiting comic shops again.

-Would this be a good place to throw in my dream of seeing an Alex Ross cover for the Lone Ranger in the future?-
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

I personaly think Alex Ross is one of if not the greatest cover artist in the history of comics, both for his art work and his knack for doing covers for huge, huge storylines and events...
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Covers that let you know something about the interiors!

Originally posted by MadMikeyD
      Bear in mind, I have not been an obsessive collector of comics for many years. I may just be looking at the wrong comics.

I seem to recall - in my heavy collecting days, nearly 20 years ago - that comic book covers generally had something to do with the story. Whether previewing the issue's big fight, teasing a big plot-twist, or something. Since I've started reading comics again, I've noticed a lot of books now seem to have pretty generic covers. Generally the hero striking a dramatic pose. Even my favorite comic - The Lone Ranger - has been guilty of this. Cover blurbs are a rarity, word ballons even more so. I miss all of that.

Having said that, I've noticed Alex Ross' covers for these spin-offs really do (or look like they will, anyway) reflect what's happening in the pages underneath. And we even get some cover blurbs - "Reintroducing the Silver Streak!" "Reintroducing the Ghost!" "The Abducted!" A beautiful throwback to the days of old. Of course, that's fitting for a series reviving Golden Age characters. I've also noticed this rule applies to the majority of Ross' Marvel and DC work as well. You can look at most of his recent JSA, Avengers/Invaders, and Superman covers and get an idea of what you are going to read about. (his depiction of Superman vs. Atlas is a particular favorite of mine.)

As much as I love Alex Ross' covers as just wonderful works of art, I wanted to give him kudos for keeping (most of) them tied into the actual contents of the books themselves. It's something I haven't seen a whole lot of covers do in these last couple years I've been visiting comic shops again.

-Would this be a good place to throw in my dream of seeing an Alex Ross cover for the Lone Ranger in the future?-
      A really good observation, Mikey. A friend and I were having this conversation just today. (12-24-08)
      It was a great loss when the cover artists started the "generic cover" approach and got away from portraying a symbolic cover for the story inside.

Nice observation that Ross is giving us that "look". Most of his cover art is "tied into the actual contents of the books themselves".

Good point. And I wished more cover artists would go back to that approach.!!
      I couldn't agree with you more!!
      Last edited by captainzero; 12-25-2008, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Alex didn't do it for most of the P:SP run for good reasons, he was giving everyone a look at some of the heroes. Frank Cho has been doing it with Jungle Girl and some of Mat Wagner's Zorro covers tend to be a bit of a mix, hints or characters from the book, but not totally reflecting the interior story.
        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2
          Alex didn't do it for most of the P:SP run for good reasons, he was giving everyone a look at some of the heroes. Frank Cho has been doing it with Jungle Girl and some of Mat Wagner's Zorro covers tend to be a bit of a mix, hints or characters from the book, but not totally reflecting the interior story.
          Yes, I agree, Ghornet. In the P:SP run...Alex's cover approach was "for good reasons".
          We needed a "good look" at some of the heroes...and those covers may have been the best way to do it.

Comment

Alex Ross' Covers

I just want to note that Alex Ross' Covers ARE one of the strongest elements of the Project: SuperPowers line.... for me!!

Another strong element is ... the characters. The Returning Golden Age characters.
            I'm still abit disappointed with the story of the first arc... but that's not the point here.

The Alex Ross Covers have been, for me, the "tent pole" that has made this whole thing work.

I remember back to THE PROJECT'S: #0 issue. (The "Zero" issue!)
            Those two Ross covers... when put together ... gave us a wonderful panorama of all those great GOLDEN AGE HEROES!! Oh, man,... how great was that!!??!
            Daredevil, The Black Terror, The Flame, Green Lama, The Face, The high-flying Owl, .... A "Flag" character!! American Spirit, a new? character...The Scarab, Pyroman, Miss Masque with a heavy-duty outfit...and gun, The Arrow, a some-what blinded Samson, ...and there... lurking in the background...
            THE CLAW!!

Man, oh, Man!! The Daredevil and THE CLAW... on the same cover... WOW!! What a "rush" for me!!
            And to see the BLACK TERROR... AGAIN... rendered by Ross!! So great!!
            And, ... Green Lama... most of us ... or some of us, at least, remembered these wonderful GOLDEN AGE HEROES!!

Many of us may have remembered The Flame!!
            Some, maybe, ... Pyroman, The Arrow, Miss Masque,... maybe a younger, sighted Samson.
            The Face(Mr. Face) ... had appeared years ago... in an issue or two of some Ace Comic. (I think, Ace??.)(As did Daredevil and THE CLAW... in a reprint by the same company... with a Ditko cover.)

Anyway, it was a GREAT COVER of these wonderful GOLDEN AGE SUPER-HEROES ... rendered by Alex Ross... that was just a knock-out of a (two) cover display that brought many a Golden Age fan to... "real excitement".

Ross kicked off the line to a real visual extravaganza!!
            Last edited by captainzero; 01-01-2009, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Ross' Interior art...

Also, Ross' interior art... of the Fighting Yank was a beautiful "core" to the first arc story. The "picture" ... painting... reminded us of the heroic nature of the once great, Legendary Fighting Yank!!
              He was once a hero of Great renown...now, ... he'll probably be remembered for "the great betrayal".!! (Great for us Golden Age fans... not so good for his reputation. )

Ross also gives us a glimpse into the World of the magical Urn... The Pandora's Box... that has trapped the Golden Age heroes. We see some of the almost eternal "darkness" that surrounded our Heroes...Black Terror, Daredevil, Pyroman, The Face, Miss Masque, The Owl, The Target and the Targeteers, The Flame... and the other captive heroes...at the end of issue #0.

Also, Ross' Fighting Yank's War Journal that gave us some insight to not only Fighting Yank, ...but The Green Lama and The American Spirit, too!!
              and lay-outs for the Battle of Kokura were a nice addition, also.

Project SuperPowers: Issue #1... Ross gives us a great cover of BLACK TERROR and THE GREEN LAMA... in "action"... with DYNAMIC MAN and The Dynamic Family hauntingly in the background!! ...with the equally haunting words of.... DYNAMIC FORCES!!

In the Fighting Yank's War Journal: More insight on The BLACK TERROR, DYNAMIC MAN and THE DYNAMIC FAMILY (Dynamic Woman looks preeety lucious to me. Oh, if I was only a good-looking, male, superhero comicbook character!! )(I'd warm her up... and change her oil.!! !! )

Then, ... for me, one of the greatest sequences of the whole PROJECT...

THE GOLDEN AGE CHARACTER SKETCHES pages:

with a good number of GOLDEN AGE SUPERHEROES (and a heroine here and there) standing, heroically, together.

Man, what a sucker I am for this kind of thing. (In all honesty, ... sometimes ...when I bought the P:SP books... my first impulse was to go to the back of the book... and see who was on these pages. To see "the cast" of the P:SP line... and who might appear in the future. I was seldom disappointed.)

Well, ... I won't go on right now. I'm out of time. Hope I didn't bore anyone on my reflections... and I'm really just started on the subject: Alex Ross' Covers.!!
              Last edited by captainzero; 12-26-2008, 02:55 AM.

Comment

I just wish Alex Ross would do some interior art on P:SP.
                Last edited by flood1976; 12-27-2008, 05:13 AM.

Comment

For me it's been the characters and the story and setting in which they were placed. This line's only fault in my eyes is that there isn't enough for us to consume at this point of time!!! LOL!

Originally posted by captainzero
                  I just want to note that Alex Ross' Covers ARE one of the strongest elements of the Project: SuperPowers line.... for me!!

Another strong element is ... the characters. The Returning Golden Age characters.
                  I'm still abit disappointed with the story of the first arc... but that's not the point here.

The Alex Ross Covers have been, for me, the "tent pole" that has made this whole thing work.

I remember back to THE PROJECT'S: #0 issue. (The "Zero" issue!)
                  Those two Ross covers... when put together ... gave us a wonderful panorama of all those great GOLDEN AGE HEROES!! Oh, man,... how great was that!!??!
                  Daredevil, The Black Terror, The Flame, Green Lama, The Face, The high-flying Owl, .... A "Flag" character??, a new?? character...The Scarab, Pyroman, Miss Masque with a heavy-duty outfit...and gun, The Arrow, a some-what blinded Samson, ...and there... lurking in the background...
                  THE CLAW!!

Man, oh, Man!! The Daredevil and THE CLAW... on the same cover... WOW!! What a "rush" for me!!
                  And to see the BLACK TERROR... AGAIN... rendered by Ross!! So great!!
                  And, ... Green Lama... most of us ... or some of us, at least, remembered these wonderful GOLDEN AGE HEROES!!

Many of us may have remembered The Flame!!
                  Some, maybe, ... Pyroman, The Arrow, Miss Masque,... maybe a younger, sighted Samson.
                  The Face(Mr. Face) ... had appeared years ago... in an issue or two of some Ace Comic. (I think, Ace??.)(As did Daredevil and THE CLAW... in a reprint by the same company... with a Ditko cover.)

Anyway, it was a GREAT COVER of these wonderful GOLDEN AGE SUPER-HEROES ... rendered by Alex Ross... that was just a knock-out of a (two) cover display that brought many a Golden Age fan to... "real excitement".

Ross kicked off the line to a real visual extravaganza!!
                  Dynamite Entertainment
                  Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by flood1976
                    I just wish Alex Ross would do some interior art on P:SP.
                    Yeah. Even just for a special one-shot or something.

Comment

Alex... a lot more, please.!?

Originally posted by Captain Canuck
                      Yeah. Even just for a special one-shot or something.
                      There was some talk that he would do some interior art for the series... wasn't there??
                      And I thought Stephen Sadowski was coming back to do more, too!!

I, too, wish that Alex Ross would do a LOT more for the Project.!!

The more, ....the better!

Comment

Originally posted by captainzero
                        There was some talk that he would do some interior art for the series... wasn't there??
                        And I thought Stephen Sadowski was coming back to do more, too!!

I, too, wish that Alex Ross would do a LOT more for the Project.!!

The more, ....the better!
                        Well, with Alex overseeing the plot and art and mapping everything out as well as doing covers he may have a full plate right now. Also, who knows what other projects he is working on, but maybe someday....
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
                        X