X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Terror # 4

Due out May 20th....

finally!!!
    Last edited by md62; 05-11-2009, 09:47 PM.

Amen

Originally posted by md62
    Due out May 20th....

finally!!!
    We can only hope
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2
      We can only hope
      It's listed on Diamonds list for that week

Comment

Originally posted by md62
        It's listed on Diamonds list for that week
        That's a tentative list and I've seen a few books not make it so I don't want to get my hopes up.
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

I need this ASAP, lol, I'm loving the series and I cannot wait to get my paws on BT#4!!! Plus I want to read it before I dive into PS v2, which is out next month, so it's important for me to finish the BT issues before hand. I am so excited for the PS universe this summer!!
          Dynamite Entertainment
          Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

When I stopped by my LCS he told me to call on Friday to see if Terror #4 is on their invoice. I'll let everybody know. If I remember to call that is

Comment

It's Party Time!!!

Just talked to my LCS and Black Terror was invoiced for this wednesday!!

Comment

It Is Out!!!

It wraps up the story arc nicely and sets up P:SP Volume 2. I don't want to go into any depth and spoil it. There are a couple of nice twists and a few interesting comments. I'd give it a 4 maybe a 4 1/2.

Comment

I think I'd have to give it a 2 1/2 or a 3 (out of 5).

It was okay, but some of the dialogue was really clunky, and the appearance of the Inheritors was just too coincidental. I think it kind of clarified for me what the problem of the P:SP books has been, and it's that they're too plot driven. Clearly Ross and Krueger have an outline of how they want these stories to unfold (3 chapters from what I've read) ... but it's beginning to hurt the stories in two ways: (1) minimal characterization (because there's no time to explore characters ... we've got to get from point A to point B); (2) some fairly cringe worthy dialogue (e.g. Boy King's quip as he crashed through the ceiling wasn't even a pun, while the earlier exchange between US Jones and BT was really contrived sounding). Honestly, they need to step back from the schedule of stories they've clearly got in hand, and let characterization start determining how this unfolds. Okay, so power corrupts is the motiff (apparently) for Chapter Two ... but let that be driven by the interaction of the characters and their personalities, not by what appears to be an outline of: issue 1 "X" happens; issue 2 "Y" happens; issue 3 "Z" happens, and issue 4 concludes things/springs us towards the next arc. I'm really finding it hard to be sympathetic to any of the characters here (or latch onto any of them), and it's beginning to become clear to me that this is the result of the way the stories are being told. Plot is overpowering storytelling.

And I have to say I was disappointed with the art. Lilly's a GREAT artist ... but again we've got that washed out coloring coupled with sketchy line work. Was there really any reason BT's eyes and mask couldn't be crisply drawn in the panel when he aims the gun at the reader ... or that the figures in the melee were so roughly done looking? I don't know if the lack of an inker is an issue, but it looks like these books are "pencils to colors" produced, and it just doesn't come off well.

Sorry for the monologue -- but I really want this line to succeed. It feels, however, like it's misfiring a bit -- like things are off here and there. Others may feel differently, though, and that's cool if they do.
                  Last edited by jsf; 05-20-2009, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Totally agree with the above post....

Comment

I didn't have a problem with the art, but I'm not that concious of art.

I do agree that there's not a lot of character growth and that the stories seem to plot driven and a little forced. It's something to work on.

As for the Inheritors showing up being 'contrived' that may be the point. don't forget were given a hint that Tim might not be Tim, but Dynamic Boy (Wizard 1/2). Maybe "Tim" was in the know and brought the Inheritors in at the right point. That could also be why he's staying with them and not the main group.
                      Last edited by Ghornet2; 05-21-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I found the issue to be pretty good, not the best issue in the series but not the worst either, just a fun book. Hopefully this series continues back at #5 when PSv2 is over, I would like to see it picked up, maybe even with a new creative team, but I would be happy with the current crew regardless.
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by jsf
                          I think I'd have to give it a 2 1/2 or a 3 (out of 5).

It was okay, but some of the dialogue was really clunky, and the appearance of the Inheritors was just too coincidental. I think it kind of clarified for me what the problem of the P:SP books has been, and it's that they're too plot driven. Clearly Ross and Krueger have an outline of how they want these stories to unfold (3 chapters from what I've read) ... but it's beginning to hurt the stories in two ways: (1) minimal characterization (because there's no time to explore characters ... we've got to get from point A to point B); (2) some fairly cringe worthy dialogue (e.g. Boy King's quip as he crashed through the ceiling wasn't even a pun, while the earlier exchange between US Jones and BT was really contrived sounding). Honestly, they need to step back from the schedule of stories they've clearly got in hand, and let characterization start determining how this unfolds. Okay, so power corrupts is the motiff (apparently) for Chapter Two ... but let that be driven by the interaction of the characters and their personalities, not by what appears to be an outline of: issue 1 "X" happens; issue 2 "Y" happens; issue 3 "Z" happens, and issue 4 concludes things/springs us towards the next arc. I'm really finding it hard to be sympathetic to any of the characters here (or latch onto any of them), and it's beginning to become clear to me that this is the result of the way the stories are being told. Plot is overpowering storytelling.

And I have to say I was disappointed with the art. Lilly's a GREAT artist ... but again we've got that washed out coloring coupled with sketchy line work. Was there really any reason BT's eyes and mask couldn't be crisply drawn in the panel when he aims the gun at the reader ... or that the figures in the melee were so roughly done looking? I don't know if the lack of an inker is an issue, but it looks like these books are "pencils to colors" produced, and it just doesn't come off well.

Sorry for the monologue -- but I really want this line to succeed. It feels, however, like it's misfiring a bit -- like things are off here and there. Others may feel differently, though, and that's cool if they do.
                          It's not a monologue...I think what we are trying to do is give "constructive criticism"... or a "critique" ...to these comics that we love and care about...so, please don't feel you should apologize..... and I agree with many of your points.
                          Thanks for sharing.
                          If we don't give our honest "feedback"... how will they ever get better.!?
                          Last edited by captainzero; 05-25-2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

I really like the Black Terror... and I want the book to succeed ...and I would like to see the book get increasingly better, too.
                            For me, it wasn't a particularly strong issue...I thought it wasn't written very well.

It got a little messy during the battle.
                            I wasn't sure about all the participants. I'm still not sure what happened to the Police Corp.!!??
                            I was a bit disappointed in the meeting between Black Terror and Tim...
                            but I did like the ..."I don't have to, Bob, you're here." ...exchange.

I, too, thought the dialogue a bit clunky.... and I think the above post covered a number of the points I would try to make ....well.

I DID like the Liberator jumping between West's shot... and The Black Terror.
                            It should have been him... and I'm glad it was.!! For "old times sake".

I'm unhappy with this series...but maybe it's going to get better now.
                            I'm hanging on ...to see.
                            I love these guys... and I'm still glad they're back!!
                            Last edited by captainzero; 05-25-2009, 03:30 AM.

Comment

I just re read BT#4 and I am revising my opinion.
                              Again they tried to do to much in a short space. A problem with a set number of issues. The story/plot should determine the length of the story arc. At least once Astro City bumped a story because the previous issue needed the room.
                              I think this might continue to be a problem until the off shoots aren't tied tight to the 'main series', and allowed to take their own route and pacing. I think DE needs to set down the basic character personalities, bring in a few creators and allow them to take a character or group and give them free rein.

Comment

Working...
                              X