Larsen's DD vs P:SP's DDD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larsen's DD vs P:SP's DDD

Which "take" on the Golden Age Daredevil do you prefer? Erik Larsen's Dynamic Daredevil (gotta say I wish Dynamite has used this name!) or Project: Superpowers Death Defying Devil?
    Larsen's Version of DD
    25.00%
    The Superpowers Version of DD
    75.00%

I liked both but I have to admit I preferred Larsen's take on DD -

Larsen seem to capture the "essence" of the fun aspect of Golden Age stories. His DD was fun & not so somber. I also love the name The Dynamic Daredevil. However I think there is room on the stands for both versions. DD is sort of like Batman - some readers like the grim Batman & some like the more "human" Batman.

Comment

Originally posted by md62
      Which "take" on the Golden Age Daredevil do you prefer? Erik Larsen's Dynamic Daredevil (gotta say I wish Dynamite has used this name!) or Project: Superpowers Death Defying Devil?
      And why I am not a Larsen fan....rightly or wrongly he's taken on his "golden era" mantra because of Dynamite's 'success' with these characters and then he takes uses Dynamic for Daredevil again using the oppourtnity to take a shot at Nick B's Dynamic Forces.

That just strikes me as unoriginal...the Image guys were all about rocking the boat but eventually jumped ship...I see Larsen doing the same with his Golden Age characters, he won't have any more shots across the bow so he'll find some other place to direct his latent sarcasm.

Nope, don't like his style, give me Death Defying Alex Ross and his PSP!

Ranger01

Comment

Quick question: Where is Larsen's DD listed with the "Dynamic" prefix? I didn't see him called "Dynamic Daredevil" in any of the issues of Savage Dragon I have.

I like both versions because they are different versions of the same character.

Ranger01 - How can you put down Larsen's use of Public Domain characters and call it "unoriginal"? Do you feel the same way about Alex Ross & DE, too? It's not like DE is the first company to ever use any of these characters, so I don't see how it's fair to say one person's use of the characters is wrong and but it's ok for someone else to do the same thing.

Comment

I didn't pick up the Larsen book, I don't care for his art and my cash is limited. That said, I did glance through it and am leaning toward DE's Triple D.

By the way isn't curious that Savage Dragon had Daredevil and Daredevil had the Deadly Dragon
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Savage Dragon 148 was available for Free Comic Book Day so it wouldn't have cost you anything.

Comment

Put me down as another fan of the P:SP version. I like the ambiguity that surrounds DE's Daredevil -- who he is, where he came from, etc etc. It's more interesting than trotting out a chipper "Well, I'm back in the world and hep with what's going on" version (I actually groaned a little when I read Savage Dragon).

I like the building conflict between the idealism of the DE characters and the world they've returned to. Much more interesting than the Silver Agish take on them that Larsen had.

Comment

JSF....IS MY HERO!

In a short few lines he says exactly what bothers me about Larsen.
                My problem with bring back these characters just to bring them back is pointless...I've said before relevance is the issue.

The characters as they were first written are irrelevant in todays' comics.
                They appeared and disappeared, rarely having backstory or a life. I've read 'em, they are interesting for what they were, but the world they come from I never knew and in most cases, too simplistic in all aspects.

Larsen, he's lazy and trying to cash in on a trend, throw something on a page, give it no rhyme or reason and say wow weren't the good old days of comics wonderful oh and by the way pick up a copy of Savage Dragon, I don't get around much anymore!

At least with Dynamite (Ross) PSP characters are becoming relevant, people with thoughts, ideas, growing back stories etc. It ain't perfect but at least it has depth.

This DE universe needs time to establish itself and given the economics of today, DE has to create in small, slow incremental steps at time. A few story arcs, a few mini series etc. they grow too fast we lose, they do it slow we win, so what if a title is a little late, it's the journey not the destination.

I'm not saying Larsen isn't 'allowed' or shouldn't use these characters, but for good reason, though he's hasn't shown any and I'll wager he won't....back to my DE library I go...

Ranger01

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger01
                  JSF....IS MY HERO!

In a short few lines he says exactly what bothers me about Larsen.
                  Do what I can.

Anyways, I agree about Larsen's "timing" -- it just looks really opportunistic of him. Nothing wrong with cashing in on a trend -- there's a golden age revival going on at Marvel (the Twelve) and DC (Red Circle, with the Shield and Hangman) as well. But using the same characters as DE is a bit too much. Why not use a different set of golden age characters. Lord knows there's enough of them.

Comment

Why not use a different set of golden age characters. Lord knows there's enough of them.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that Brother J....

But I have this sipdey sense tingling that says he may be looking for a gig with DE....when you can't beat 'em you join 'em!

RANGER01
                    Last edited by Ranger01; 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I definatly had to go with the PS version of DD, it's just more of what my taste is. Larson is cool, but anything done with these characters thats not done through PS does not count to me, so PS gets my vote for look and for "cannon" in my eyes.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by jsf
                        Do what I can.

Anyways, I agree about Larsen's "timing" -- it just looks really opportunistic of him. Nothing wrong with cashing in on a trend -- there's a golden age revival going on at Marvel (the Twelve) and DC (Red Circle, with the Shield and Hangman) as well. But using the same characters as DE is a bit too much. Why not use a different set of golden age characters. Lord knows there's enough of them.
                        I don't really thing he's cashing in. The Next Issue Project was announced around the same time as Project:Superpowers. Besides, he might have found out about public domain characters when he was working for AC Comics (he did some stuff for them in his early days as a comic book artist)

Comment

I have to give the nod to Larsen's Daredevil (no Dynamic listed, in fact in the letters page he pretty much went out of his way to say he was going to just use the name as it originally was and go the Captain Marvel "call it something else on the cover and the insides can slide" method, rather than the AC Comics "rename 'em and rebrand 'em" method). There was more of a rentention of the oddball golden age wackiness to it, rather than the more serious update that Project Superpowers has done. Nothing wrong with a darker updating, mind you - I'm just saying Larsen's is closer to the cartoon work of the original. We don't have too many cartoonists in comics these days but back then they were all over the place.

Also, since I've been reading Savage Dragon for a while I can attest that Daredevil was in a previous storyline so the FCBD thing wasn't just a one shot appearance.

Comment

I enjoyed seeing the Little Wise Guys again. I thought that was great.
                            I thought Larsen's story really weak... but it's always great to see Daredevil and the Little Wise Guys "in action", again.
                            It was a little like ..."old times", again.!!

I still prefer the DE Daredevil... and the return of all of our Golden Age Heroes.

Comment

Yeah I don't think he's cashing in, either. I came up with the idea of putting the Skyman in my Bounty Hunter book 3 or 4 years ago when I first came up with the concept for the series. When he finally shows up in the book, does that mean I did it just to cash in on Project: Superpowers?

Nah, it's more likely just a coincidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X