Superpowers Universe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superpowers Universe

does the universe these characters inhabit seem rather overcomplicated, and joyless to anyone else? these public domain characters seem to be used best when they have their tongue firmly in their cheek. right now, this superpowers world seems to take itself waaaay to seriously. thoughts?
    Last edited by davidlow; 06-19-2009, 09:35 PM. Reason: forgot to add part of the post

Originally posted by davidlow View Post
    does the universe these characters inhabit seem rather overcomplicated, and joyless to anyone else? these public domain characters seem to be used best when they have their tongue firmly in their cheek. right now, this superpowers world seems to take itself waaaay to seriously. thoughts?
    I think it's a good thing that it takes itself to be serious, just take a look at their situation, it's a pretty serious thing. I think in time once the initials arcs are out of the way we will get to see these characters in a different light, they will have time to breathe and be able to develope more of a personality, or at least I hope they will.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
      I think it's a good thing that it takes itself to be serious, just take a look at their situation, it's a pretty serious thing. I think in time once the initials arcs are out of the way we will get to see these characters in a different light, they will have time to breathe and be able to develope more of a personality, or at least I hope they will.

that is my hope on this subject as well

Comment

does the universe these characters inhabit seem rather overcomplicated, and joyless to anyone else?
        Yes, but that in itself isn't necessarily a problem.

these public domain characters seem to be used best when they have their tongue firmly in their cheek. right now, this superpowers world seems to take itself waaaay to seriously. thoughts?
        Historical precedent doesn't agree with you. The only prior revival to have "their tongue firmly in the cheek" was Roy Thomas' 1970s Alter Ego limited series. Well, that and the Mr. Monster revival. Airboy was fairly serious most of the time, as were the Protectors and related comics. AC Comics modern-age titles sort of went back and forth on the humor vs drama scale. Terra Obscura was fairly serious (even if often absurd). Image Comics' use of the characters was very much a mixed bag in terms of style and tone. Amazing Man's appearances in Iron Fist were fairly serious, as was Roy Thomas' use of an assortment of PD characters in the 1994 Invaders limited series. Dr. Nemesis' most recent appearances in Marvel Comics were a bit cheeky, but, once again, largely serious. The aborted GA Black Cat revival went for drama. I haven't read ACE Comics' revival of Columbia characters, so I have no idea what it was like.

To make a long answer short, no, I don't think so.

Comment

To be honest I don't think the seriousness of the tone is simply from using public domain charcters as such, but rather an artefact of the story that Ross, Krueger et al are trying to craft. In other words they could have created whole cloth new' (faux) Golden Age characters and still had the same tone.

I like the books, I like the feel. It is serious and therefore 'grown up' in some ways. The storyline is dense, but for me that is a reward as many comic books offer, or have offered, a scant story that is soon over, with little real substance. Especially in the early 90's...
          Last edited by leonmallett; 06-21-2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I hate the people who claim that Superpowers is bogged down by too many characters, to me it would be unrealistic not to have all these characters because the Urn most likely released them all at the same time...........right?

Comment

I hate the people who claim that Superpowers is bogged down by too many characters, to me it would be unrealistic not to have all these characters because the Urn most likely released them all at the same time...........right?
              Excellent point.

While the world they inhabit may be "joyless", the characters aren't too far removed from how they were in The Golden Age. They're still heroes with a sense of right and wrong. I don't agree that the PSP Universe is overly complicated, as it seems pretty straightforward to me.

I also don't agree that these characters work in a "tongue-in-cheek" way. Look how many times DC has tried publishing a Captain Marvel/Shazam title, only to have it get cancelled after a few years (if even that long). Today's comic readers don't want that kind of story, so why aim the books at an audience that doesn't exist in large enough numbers to make the series successful where the books are being sold?

Comment

Originally posted by Chadster View Post
                New guy for the win! I would think that all of the heroes were set free at the same point in time, just in different locations
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by Chadster View Post
                  That is part of the fun and part of the problem with PSP. There are so many that you never know for sure who will show up. But a few are going to be ignored or barely touched on.

Some may be shaken by their time in the urn and just retire quietly while others may lay low to try and see what's going on and where they fit into the picture.

The universe is a little dark (shadow government and all), but some of the heroes aren't, or at least have a light side. Pyro, Hydro & Silver Streak didn't strike me as particularly dark. And among the kids Kitten and Yank & Doodle. Hopefully with a little more time out of the urn a few more will lighten up.
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X