How About A PSU Animated Movie?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How About A PSU Animated Movie?

Comic centered direct-to-DVD animated movies are doing well these days. Between Marvel and DC 14 films have been released in the last few years, with several more in the pipeline. Both companies have released successful films featuring groups of their heroes (Avengers, Justice League), something not yet attempted in live-action (although the Avengers is coming). With "Planet Hulk" out now and "Crisis on Two Earths" on the horizon, here's my thought - why doesn't Dynamite partner with an animation company and adapt Project Superpowers Chapter 1 into a direct-to-DVD feature? A PS animated film would be awesome. And, of course, could make way for sequels and even prequels set during WWII. Would an animation company take a chance on an indy publisher? Well, TMNT worked.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

TMNT was however a HUGE seller in a much healthier market. It sold more than pretty much anything does these days, comics are a fraction of what they were so it would be a big risk... Still, not totally impossible since the golden age interest is higher than it has been in a long time and the P:SP universe has then ready-to-go in the modern day.

Comment

Indeed, comics were a healthier market in those days, but my first exposure to the Turtles was the cartoon. I had no idea there was a TMNT comic until after I saw the cartoon. Animation could open the PSU up to a different audience, if it was well-marketed. I think that would be the real key. Just my opinion, of course. Anyway, I'd buy it.
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
      PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
      PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

I'm a huge fan of animation and to see the PSU animated would be a dream come true for me, but I would prefer it to be a series as opposed to a one shot movie deal that ends up being direct to DVD. If they could manage to get it onto Cartoon Network's Friday night action block "You Are Here" or possibly on 4Kids Saturday morning block then it would have a good shot at surviving through decent ratings, but it may be a long time until we see something like this.
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

P:SP's biggest problem (creatively anyway) is the size of the cast. Cartoon industry thinking is that anything more than a half dozen core characters allows only for a rotating cast format for the show. There might be the odd exception out there, and successfully established shows are able to add more secondary characters over time.

You'd have to trim the cst down to say...

Green Lama
          Black Terror
          Masquerade
          Daredevil
          Pyroman
          Hydro
          The Target

Maybe a couple more. Some occupy obvious narrative roles in a cartoon format (mentor for Lama, lancer for BT, token chick for Masq', etc.) others would just 'fill out the ranks'.

Comment

An animated Project Superpowers film would be an interesting first step, but live-action is my dream. But for sure an animated Project Superpowers DVD would go much higher in my wish list that what most or Marvel animation has done so far, certainly much higher that any Hulk project. An adaptation of Dynamite's volume 1 would be great

I could also see Death-Defying Devil, Green Lama, and Black Terror films as well in that first wave of animated films from the Project Superpowers universe; Pyroman, The Target, and The Flame along with guest stars could be part of a second wave of solos, along with volume 2

My Project Superpowers Page:

http://heroescomics.9f.com/project_superpowers.htm
            http://heroescomics.8m.com/project_superpowers.htm
            http://heroes-comics.bravehost.com/p...uperpowers.htm
            http://heroescomics.110mb.com/project_superpowers.htm
            Last edited by Renaud; 02-04-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

A nice first step

An ongoing series would be best, but a direct to DVD animated movie, or series of movies, would be a good first step. Good sales could lead to a series. I could see it being similar to Justice Leauge Unlimited. A core group with a group of guest stars.

I like the group mentioned except maybe replacing Target with Owl and Hydro with Silver Streak. You've got all the basics.
              Green Lama - The Mystic & Healer
              Black Terror - Strong Man
              Masquerade - Female & Detective
              Daredevil – Athlete & Weapon User
              Pyroman - Flyer & Energy/Distance Powers
              Silver Streak - Speedster & Flyer
              The Owl - Gadget User/Batman Type
              Last edited by Ghornet2; 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM.
              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

The particular membership could likely be swapped around to suit preference. I'd say Green Lama, Black Terror, Masquerade and Daredevil are the defaults due to the strength of early appearances, solo mini-series features, etc.

The rest are up for debate.

As for simply putting out Vol. #1 as a film/animated venture... Sounds do-able, you would HAVE to trim the cast down somewhat or there would just be too many one-off appearances and guys hanging around in the background. Regardless, I don't see why the story couldn't work. It IS a good story, maybe streamlined into a tidy 60 minutes or 90 minutes it'd be pretty cool!

Of course... Now you just need a willing studio, the money and a year or two to get it done in. A GOOD studio too! One hint of it being like the Dragonlance animated feature and I'm running for the hills!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubezahl View Post
                  The particular membership could likely be swapped around to suit preference. I'd say Green Lama, Black Terror, Masquerade and Daredevil are the defaults due to the strength of early appearances, solo mini-series features, etc.

The rest are up for debate.

As for simply putting out Vol. #1 as a film/animated venture... Sounds do-able, you would HAVE to trim the cast down somewhat or there would just be too many one-off appearances and guys hanging around in the background. Regardless, I don't see why the story couldn't work. It IS a good story, maybe streamlined into a tidy 60 minutes or 90 minutes it'd be pretty cool!

Of course... Now you just need a willing studio, the money and a year or two to get it done in. A GOOD studio too! One hint of it being like the Dragonlance animated feature and I'm running for the hills!
                  90+minutes minimum, and full cast, not everybody needs to talk, and in animation no actors need to be hire for simple visual cameo, whether 10 or 100; that's the whole point of animation, there is no limits in guest appearances just for show. I hate it when things get trimed down and over simplified in an adaptation into an other format. Even a live-action film could have a huge cast, mostly for show hired hands, and keep the films and script around a few main characters. With so many masked characters, can't be that hard to hire more talented actors in later films if studios want more character development from other heroes, or go into solo films.

As for a willing studio, with money and a year or two to get it done, any decent studio with half a brain should see that Project Superpowers is a huge powerhouse of great classic heroes put together in a most spectacular way, with potential as The Avengers or The Justice Society or The X-Men or The Justice League, or the latest gathering of old classic Archie heroes from The Red Circle, or what I could imagine to be the greatest classic Pulp Magazine heroes put together like The Shadow, The Spider, The Avenger, Doc Savage, and others.
                  Last edited by Renaud; 02-04-2010, 08:34 PM.

Comment

this idea sounds good to me

Comment

If it had to be an animated movie and it couldn't be an animated series then I would just want a nice hour and a half flick that chronicles the first volume of PSP in a nutshell, nothing too crazy but something that fans and non-fans can enjoy through solid storytelling and some fun action. They would need to dumb it down for a national audience who may see this movie on Cartoon Network and/or Nickelodeon in the future, so to have it be too involved wouldn't help it's cause.

Hopefully someday we get treated to something animated in the way of the PSU, it may take a while but I could see something happening if the lines success keeps up.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Comment

Anytime you're trying to sell superhero characters you put yourself in a tricky position. You're immediately behind the "Big Two" with their characters, that they have been doing for 60+ years. I think that if P:SP wants to contend with that, it's got to be a multimedia battle.

So, I think animated projects are not only a good idea. I think it's a necessity. And, if done well, you'd see sales increases on the books! Which is the most important thing.

I agree with Ghornet2, an animated movie should be first. Go slow, build your audience and set up your animated world. Then come out with Chapter Two to mirror Volume 2 in the books. A third movie featuring Terror can set up an animated series if sales are good. But it's gotta be slow, I don't think you can rush into a series right away.

-Pistols

Comment

Originally posted by TwinPistols View Post
                          Anytime you're trying to sell superhero characters you put yourself in a tricky position. You're immediately behind the "Big Two" with their characters, that they have been doing for 60+ years. I think that if P:SP wants to contend with that, it's got to be a multimedia battle.

So, I think animated projects are not only a good idea. I think it's a necessity. And, if done well, you'd see sales increases on the books! Which is the most important thing.

I agree with Ghornet2, an animated movie should be first. Go slow, build your audience and set up your animated world. Then come out with Chapter Two to mirror Volume 2 in the books. A third movie featuring Terror can set up an animated series if sales are good. But it's gotta be slow, I don't think you can rush into a series right away.

-Pistols
                          Rushing is never a good thing in comics, look at Crossgen (R.I.P), they started with 4 books and within a year they were publishing over 30 titles and had their trades, digests, compendiums and comics on DVD and WEB all out there for people, then they went bankrupt. So I agree, start slow with an animated movie and get the world fleshed out much like they are doing in the comics, then after you have found some success and the original story has been told thats when they should think about animated series and things of the such.
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Comment

Forgive my reviving a nearly two month dead topic but I've been out of this particular game for a while.

I would love to see a Project: Superpowers animated film but I doubt it would do well. I was just as enthusiastic for the Turok Son of Stone animated film that came out in January of 2008 but I doubt anyone else here had heard of it, much less seen it.

Comment

Working...
                            X