Chapter 2, Volume 1 Trade Paperback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapter 2, Volume 1 Trade Paperback

I just picked up the trade paperback of issues 0-6 (making a nice lead in for issue #7 coming out today as well). I don't have much to say about the trade paperback itself. It is "just" the stories with a copy of all the various alternate covers, which might not offer you much if you have already bought all the issues. On the other hand, you do get it all in one nice book without the annoyance of intervening ads.

But that is not why I am writing. Chapter One came out in hardback before coming out as a paperback. So far Chapter Two went straight to paperback. It seems to me that this can be read one of two ways:

(1) The hardback of Chapter One didn't sell well enough to justify the cost of issuing another hardback; or

(2) DE is waiting until Chapter Two is complete before issuing the entire chapter in hardback.

Does anybody have any idea which is the truth? I confess I am rooting for Option 2. When I was a youngster, I could not understand why anybody would spend money for a hardback book when they could get the same book much cheaper in paperback. But as I have grown older, I have come to treasure having a nice solid hardback on my shelves.

As you can imagine, e-books have not made much of an inroad on me yet.

Hmmmmm. I wonder if that new Apple iPad will be able to download comic books? But I digress...

My understanding is that the tpb came first because it could be produced more quickly and sold at a cheaper price (9.99 is a steal for a collection of 7 issues these days). This would entice more readers to pick up both the tpb and #7, hopefully hooking new readership. A hardcover of volume 1 is coming.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

The more I have thought about it, the more I hope they hold off on the hardback until they can present all of Chapter 2 at once. It seems to me that there is little point to dividing the story into "chapters" if you are not going to issue the chapters in single volumes.

But that is my opinion. What do the rest of you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
        The more I have thought about it, the more I hope they hold off on the hardback until they can present all of Chapter 2 at once. It seems to me that there is little point to dividing the story into "chapters" if you are not going to issue the chapters in single volumes.

But that is my opinion. What do the rest of you think?
        12 issues is a lot to pack into one TPB, but in a hardcover it can (and has) been done. Maybe they could make it and oversized publication similar to how Ultimate Spider-Man did early on....

Either way, I do think 12 issues in one TPB should be what we get in a hardcover, but if they put them in 2 different 6 issue volumes in the softcover I won't complain.
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Six issues to a book would be easier to handle. Maybe in two volumes with a limited slipcased hard cover set. Maybe even a three issue set with one for the two page origins.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
          X