Molding the universe and it's titles.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molding the universe and it's titles.

We all know that once the initial Superpowers storyline is over we are finally going to get some monthly titles to read and the universe will begin to take shape and we will know whats what finally, but what are we going to get? Within reason what titles do you think DE will put out monthly for us? Let's use some guidelines here, 2011-2016 let's say, and remember, this isn't a "What titles do I want" thread, it's a "what titles do you see Dynamite actually putting out" thread.

My picks as to what I can see Dynamite releasing
    Black Terror will remain monthly
    Samson will go monthy ongoing
    Death Defyin' Devil will go into a monthly ongoing
    Pyroman will get a couple different Miniseries titles
    The Inheritors will get a monthly book, or possibly a few different mini's
    Masquerade will have a few mini's
    The Flame will have a few mini's
    A team book with all the big names will come out with a series of minis or maybe bi-monthly.

Well, as far as what I can see Dynamite Entertainment actually publishing during the 5 year time frame that you listed would be pretty slow in my opinion, they still have to finish up the supposed 3rd volume whch will probably hit in 2011 and I hear rumors of a Ghost mini-series that is in the works, so my list would look something like....

Ongoing Monthly Series
    Black Terror
    DDD
    Green Lama
    The Inheritors

Ongoing quarterly/bi-monthly
    A Superpowers "big team/heavy hitters" JLA style book
    More chapters such as Project Superpowers v4,5,ect....

Mini-Series
    Pyroman
    Samson
    The Ghost
    The Flame
    Masqeurade
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

It is interesting that this question comes up now, as I was just thinking (after reading #7) that the storyline seems to be trying to group the various heroes. So, for example, 'Devil, Silver Streak and Ghost seem to be a team (possibly with Truth & Dare--depending on what happens with Truth). The Sisters Scarlet are already being referred to by that term in #7 (and, honestly, Masquerade would have a hard time in a "solo" book since her power requires somebody else to handle mask duties for her--she needs to be paired with somebody else). Skyman, Mr. Face and Marvelo are also formed as a team (in fact, in their collective dream, they are told that they were chosen to be together). And then Black Owl points out that being with Burning Eagle and Man-Cat is necessary to combat the effects of the urn, suggesting that they are going to be a team as well (Hmmm, 2 birds and a cat--that should end well).

All of which is my long-winded way of saying that my prediction is that we are going to have more "team" books than individual books. It is so much easier to have ongoing story lines with a team of characters than a single character.

Having said that, Black Terror will stay as a solo character. I also think Scarab is headed for his own book. While I would love a Green Lama book, I just don't see it happening in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
        It is interesting that this question comes up now, as I was just thinking (after reading #7) that the storyline seems to be trying to group the various heroes. So, for example, 'Devil, Silver Streak and Ghost seem to be a team (possibly with Truth & Dare--depending on what happens with Truth). The Sisters Scarlet are already being referred to by that term in #7 (and, honestly, Masquerade would have a hard time in a "solo" book since her power requires somebody else to handle mask duties for her--she needs to be paired with somebody else). Skyman, Mr. Face and Marvelo are also formed as a team (in fact, in their collective dream, they are told that they were chosen to be together). And then Black Owl points out that being with Burning Eagle and Man-Cat is necessary to combat the effects of the urn, suggesting that they are going to be a team as well (Hmmm, 2 birds and a cat--that should end well).

All of which is my long-winded way of saying that my prediction is that we are going to have more "team" books than individual books. It is so much easier to have ongoing story lines with a team of characters than a single character.

Having said that, Black Terror will stay as a solo character. I also think Scarab is headed for his own book. While I would love a Green Lama book, I just don't see it happening in the near future.
        I hope we do get some team books but I don't want more than a couple, solo books are needed to establish characters as being your top dog's, IE: Spider-Man, Captain America, Superman, Batman, so having multiple team books would take away from focal point characters and "leaders" within the universe. But thats just my opinion.

While it is easier having team books to tell a story because you can fit in my characters, I still find that this would not be the best practice for fleshing out a universe of characters....
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Comment

Comixfan 1980 wrote:

While it is easier having team books to tell a story because you can fit in my characters, I still find that this would not be the best practice for fleshing out a universe of characters....
          I basically agree with this. Black Terror has grown quite a bit on me since he went off on his own. But the question was what PSP series would come from DE in the next five years. It seems to me, from a business perspective, team books promise better sales than solo books especially when dealing with characters that are largely unknown.

For example, I would love a solo book with the Arrow because, as an archer myself, I have a weakness for any character that shoots arrows. But if I were running DE, I'd have to admit that the potential pool of buyers for an Arrow book is likely shallow. On the other hand, if one were to put out a team book featuring, say, the Arrow, the Target and the Owl, then you could expect to get buyers consisting of not only Arrow fans, but also Target fans and Owl fans. I certainly have bought team books because I like a single member of the team, and I doubt that I am unique in that regard. So fiscally, a team book will likely bring in more customers.

Now once the team books are established, the most popular members (as determined by the marketplace buzz) could then be spun off into solo books with a reasonable expectation that they will be able to attract a healthy audience. But that is likely to happen more than 5 years hence, so they fell outside the scope of the question.

Having said all that, 'Devil probably could solo right now. He has a solid following. And Pyroman seems to have found quite a bit of favor as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
            Comixfan 1980 wrote:

I basically agree with this. Black Terror has grown quite a bit on me since he went off on his own. But the question was what PSP series would come from DE in the next five years. It seems to me, from a business perspective, team books promise better sales than solo books especially when dealing with characters that are largely unknown.

For example, I would love a solo book with the Arrow because, as an archer myself, I have a weakness for any character that shoots arrows. But if I were running DE, I'd have to admit that the potential pool of buyers for an Arrow book is likely shallow. On the other hand, if one were to put out a team book featuring, say, the Arrow, the Target and the Owl, then you could expect to get buyers consisting of not only Arrow fans, but also Target fans and Owl fans. I certainly have bought team books because I like a single member of the team, and I doubt that I am unique in that regard. So fiscally, a team book will likely bring in more customers.

Now once the team books are established, the most popular members (as determined by the marketplace buzz) could then be spun off into solo books with a reasonable expectation that they will be able to attract a healthy audience. But that is likely to happen more than 5 years hence, so they fell outside the scope of the question.

Having said all that, 'Devil probably could solo right now. He has a solid following. And Pyroman seems to have found quite a bit of favor as well.

I totally see your point of view, and the characters that you mentioned would fit perfectly into team books, but some people like DDD, Lama, Terror, Pyro and Samson all seem like they have the "Elite" feel to them to justify monthly titles and I wish to see all of the go monthly within a 5 year span.
            Dynamite Entertainment
            Forum Administrator

Comment

I'd like to see;

2 Team Books
              Black Terror would lead a team with a harder/grittier edge.
              Green Lama or Scarab would lead a more traditional team.

4 Solo Books
              Black Terror - A Hard Edge
              DDD - Standard Super Hero Book
              Green Lama - Mystic Series
              Scarab - A World Hopping Series

1 Team Up Book
              Rotating Pairs Or Trios with an occasional Oddball team up. It could also be used to introduce new heroes

?? Mini Series
              1 or 2 at a time to see what heroes/groups should get an ongoing series or stories that need to be told.

Obviously they would build slowly. Adding a book every month or two until we get two books a week, maybe three after a while.
              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Just on names alone, a team-up book of Arrow and Target sounds cool.

We talked about this before, during v1, but at some point, these characters would have to start splintering. I find it hard to believe that they would all view their goals and mission the same way.

Obviously they all want to fight "evil" but in a group that large, there should be some difference in opinion in regards to methodology, scale, etc.

It`s already happening a little with DDD and his focus on The Claw but I could see more on the way. Arrow might say "Yeah, I`m pretty good with a bow, but I probably shouldn`t be going against Greek Gods. Maybe street level crimes are more my thing". Or some of the Inheritors night prefer to stick with his or her mentor. Maybe one of the members will think that the group`s tactics are either too severe or too soft and bail. Or get kicked out.

When the current story is over, I look forward to seeing what happens with the heroes that were protecting the prez, or the ones the Supremacy sent against the Superpowers. Will they join the main group? Continue doing their own thing?

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post

1 Team Up Book
                Rotating Pairs Or Trios with an occasional Oddball team up. It could also be used to introduce new heroes
                Speaking of new heroes...

Something that might be interesting is for one of the characters to take on a new sidekick, especially if he has a sidekick that has "left the nest" within the Inheritors.

Tension between new and old sidekick aside, something I`ve felt they touched upon very little is how characters from the 40`s would react to 2010 views. That might be a good way to explore that a little bit.

I`d like to see a mini series primarily set in the 40`s, but that has some relevance to what is going on now, similar to the flashback that took place in Black Terror.

I haven`t really figured out who it should feature though. Suggestions?
                Last edited by comixfan1980; 03-14-2010, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I'd like to see a Target mini-series.

Mostly because most of the GA books I have are the Target. The character is pretty interesting, though.

I'd also like to see more of Mr. Face.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                    Something that might be interesting is for one of the characters to take on a new sidekick, especially if he has a sidekick that has "left the nest" within the Inheritors.
                    Have you seen the cover for Black Terror 12?
                    Attached Files
                    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

At the time that I wrote that, I don't believe I had seen that cover yet. Then when I did see it, it was only a thumbnail and I didn't register that "sidekick" part.

Neat. We're going to have a nice Batman and Robin thing going on here, Ithink...

Comment

Parrot

It even sounds Robin like. And looks to be a young girl. Now it only remains to be seen if it's just a tease or the real thing.

Comment

Ugh, The Parrot? Seriously? Why does Black Terror even need a sidekick? He should be the lone hero type, IMO a sidekick kind of slows him down and could get in the way of Terror's mission and the such, personally I just don't see the need...
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                            Ugh, The Parrot? Seriously? Why does Black Terror even need a sidekick? He should be the lone hero type, IMO a sidekick kind of slows him down and could get in the way of Terror's mission and the such, personally I just don't see the need...
                            I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. It's the same reasoning that I hate Robin the Boy Hostage.

Comment

I`m surprised about the dislike for a sidekick when Terror had one in the past.

I want to see how the whole thing comes about, because I admit that when i first clued in to a partner coming in all of three issues, it seemed awful fast for Terror and a new character to build that bond. I`m guessing there`s a specific reason why Parrot sticks around beyond just being a partner in crime (fighting).

Comment

Working...
                              X