Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superpowers & DE and Local Comic Shops...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superpowers & DE and Local Comic Shops...

I dropped into my local comic book shop this week and they know me pretty well but they didn't know I was an administrator here on the official Dynamite Entertainment forums, so I was telling them about my position here and I began asking about how strong the PSU titles (and DE in general) are selling in his store. He said DE as a whole is doing pretty well for him and the P:SP titles are selling very well for him, especially the core Chapter 2 title and Black Terror, unfortunatly the Meet the Bad Guy's series didn't sell too well in his store and a lot of the smaller titles (Battlefield, Athena, Blackbeard, Buck Rogers) are basicly taking up space on his shelf.

He did mention that he was happy that the core P:SP stuff was doing well and titles like Red Sonja, Alice in Wonderland and Lone Ranger were selling very well for him, it's a big store too and he said he usually orders 16 of each title and about 25-30 of the P:SP titles for his store monthly, it was nice to hear.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

They seem to sell well at the store I go to (or at least the store owner says). I've been disappointed to see their numbers declining on the charts though. Most of the people I know like the books. I can only speculate that perhaps people are trade waiting?

But they sell well at the store I go to.

Comment

Originally posted by jsf View Post
      They seem to sell well at the store I go to (or at least the store owner says). I've been disappointed to see their numbers declining on the charts though. Most of the people I know like the books. I can only speculate that perhaps people are trade waiting?

But they sell well at the store I go to.
      Sales are kind of a moot point at the end of the day, as long as the gross profit is where DE wants it to be they will still produce the comics, it's just nice to know when your favorite line of comics is doing well.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Comment

It is hard for me to tell how sales are going just from looking at the stands in my local store. For example, last week (or was it the week before?) when P:SP #7 and Zorro #20 came out, by the time I got to the store there was only one copy of Zorro left, but there were plenty of P:SP---but that was because the owner had ordered only a limited amount of Zorro. He knew how many people would actually buy it. He put in a larger order for P:SP because it is more popular.

The sad part of this, of course, is that Zorro won't spread to new readers because the established readers are buying up all the copies. Whoever came into the store after me would never see Zorro #20 on the shelf.

I was looking at DE's sales figures the other day. P:SP and Black Terror are both doing reasonably well for a small publisher (although The Boys is clearly the leader in DE sales). Zorro is, sadly, dragging way behind. Even behind Buck Rogers, which is folding. That makes me worry about the Fox's fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
          The sad part of this, of course, is that Zorro won't spread to new readers because the established readers are buying up all the copies. Whoever came into the store after me would never see Zorro #20 on the shelf.
          I hope that most comic shop order a half dozen more than they know they need. Part of the problem is that most comic shops are small businesses and have limited cash flow. They have to be careful on wha they order.

I dropped Zorro because I didn't care for the story line and moeny is really tight but I hope it survives.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
            Zorro is, sadly, dragging way behind. Even behind Buck Rogers, which is folding. That makes me worry about the Fox's fate.
            Black Terror was falling back there too, from what I'd seen. That said, I just saw the Diamond figures for February, P:SP Chapter 2 issue 7 had cracked the top 100 (for the first time in a while) ... so that gives me hope. Perhaps the whole $10 TPB had a beneficial effect after all.

Comment

Well, as it pertains to comic's like Zorro selling out and not having the oppertunity to gain a new audience because it may be sold out to it's existing readers, comic shops can order new comics 2 or 3 times a month if they need to fill their new release rack, or at least the bigger comic retailers can. Talking about this stuff with my local comic shop owner he explained to me that he has to order multiple copies of New Avengers a month because it sells so well in his store, he will order 25 issues for the shelf and then another 15 for his in store subscription customers and then he usually puts in another order for the book towards the end of the month just to make sure he can meet demands. It's like this with a lot of titles in a lot of different stores.

But again, sales become moot as long as gross profit is high and interest within the industry is good enough, with the PSP books it appears as if sales are decent and a solid ammount of people are reading and taking interest despite orders placed through Diamond. PSP should be just fine.
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Comment

My local comic shop only carries three DE comics, that would be Superpowers (and it's sub titles), The Boys and the core Red Sonja title. The Boys sells pretty well as far as I can see, I usually see 8-10 copies on the shelf and then when I drop in on Friday it's usually down to 1 or 2, Sonja does not seem to sell there at all and Superowers sells well from what I can tell there. As a whole I am sure DE makes a hefty profit from Superpowers.

Comment

I did my normal wednesday comic run and asked my local comic clerk how Project Superpowers was doing in sales in his store and he responsed with a "good". He didn't really give me much more info, so I asked him how Dynamite was selling in stores and he responded with "Dynamite Entertainment?". He didn't even know who put out PS but he knew what PS was, good for the title, bad for DE.

Comment

Thats to be expected, Superpowers is without a doubt the biggest title going for Dynamite Entertainment, the second would probably be The Boys and then a Sonja title I would assume. Everyone seems to love Superpowers
                    Dynamite Entertainment
                    Forum Administrator

Comment

I doubt your assertion, comixfan. Every month I look in the back of the Previews magazine at the list of Diamond's Top 100 comics from a few months before and the Boys is consistently Dynamite's best seller. The Boys is also consistently the best seller from an independant publisher (outside the Big 4 - I guess now it's Big 5 since IDW hit the big time this week).

I am not saying the Boys is a better book than Superpowers. I read over half the Dynamite output and the Boys is one of the few books I don't read.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiclo View Post
                        I doubt your assertion, comixfan. Every month I look in the back of the Previews magazine at the list of Diamond's Top 100 comics from a few months before and the Boys is consistently Dynamite's best seller. The Boys is also consistently the best seller from an independant publisher (outside the Big 4 - I guess now it's Big 5 since IDW hit the big time this week).

I am not saying the Boys is a better book than Superpowers. I read over half the Dynamite output and the Boys is one of the few books I don't read.

Orders don't always equate to sales, the Diamond 300 is for the top ordered comic books and shows no reflection to action POS rankings.

Also, whats this news on IDW.....?
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                          Orders don't always equate to sales, the Diamond 300 is for the top ordered comic books and shows no reflection to action POS rankings.

Also, whats this news on IDW.....?
                          IDW is the first publisher to become a Diamond Premiere Publisher. In 1996, Diamond established a set of criteria for an independant company to get their own section in Previews magazine like Dark Horse, DC, Image and Marvel. IDW is the first company to pull that off in that time. Apparently they are outselling Image and now they have their own section in Previews magazine and on the list of new releases published weekly on the Diamond website.

Dynamite can probably get there too in a few years. It took IDW 10 years to get where they are now so they have a bit of a jump on Dynamite there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiclo View Post

I looked up the February sales results and I thought they were interesting.

84 - BOYS #39 - 21,905
                            85 - PROJECT SUPERPOWERS CHAPTER TWO #7 - 21,688

Sonja was the only other book with over 10,000 sales. Terror weighs in at betweem 7000 and 8000 which may seem crap at first, but it beats every other book (Zorro, Robocop) by a couple of thousand so I assume that DE is satisfied at least on a comparative basis.

Comment

As mentioned in the GH forum, Smith`s version of the Hornet sold at Amazing Spider-man levels for the first issue (over 50,000 copies ). #2 sold over 32,000.

The Boys are next with just over 22,000 and Hornet Y1 at 21,000+. There was no Superpowers book listed. Terror had similar numbers to February, slightly lower.

Comment

Working...
                              X