Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When should we expect new Superpowers titles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should we expect new Superpowers titles?

Any idea on dates of any new series or when volume 3 is set to kick off after volume 2 is finished?

The June solicitations are posted now showing only Terror #12 and Superpowers #12 (of new material).

Is it safe to assume that we're going to get a couple of mini's again between V2 and V3, then V3 around September or so, with Terror ongoing?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
      The June solicitations are posted now showing only Terror #12 and Superpowers #12 (of new material).

Is it safe to assume that we're going to get a couple of mini's again between V2 and V3, then V3 around September or so, with Terror ongoing?
      Yeah, this is what I would expect. I'm guessing we will get Volume 3 sometime in the winter and leading into that event we have have seen 2 or 3 possible mini's with Black Terror keeping on as an ongoing title.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

The July solicitations will either be like Christmas in July or extremely disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
          The July solicitations will either be like Christmas in July or extremely disappointing.
          Amen to that! If, after P:SP 12, we are left with just BT, it is going to feel like a real long time before Chapter 3 starts.

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
            Yeah, this is what I would expect. I'm guessing we will get Volume 3 sometime in the winter and leading into that event we have have seen 2 or 3 possible mini's with Black Terror keeping on as an ongoing title.
            March 2010 this was posted? How sad......

Comment

I agree with what DE is doing with Project SuperPowers;

I, along with many of you, would love to see a return of Project SuperPowers.
              I miss them. I don't think I missed an issue of them.
              I especially like The Super-Mystery Men team of Magno, Captain Courageous, The Sword, Mr. Raven, Lash Lightning, Lighting Girl, Soldier Unknown, and Vulcan....all from The Four Favorites.

I think DE is looking for a strong writing and art team to take the reins of this large project and make it work. Hopeful, they are looking for an editor that has an "over-all" picture and direction for where this project is going.

I think there were some hits and misses .... but over-all it was a great, ambitious project that didn't work every well.
              The Alex Ross covers were "knock-outs"!! The Golden Age characters had great potential.... but the interior art, some of it, was not good enough ....nor was the writing and character and story development.

Do you disagree or agree that Nick is doing the right thing in looking for more experienced talent.???

Comment

The problem is, most of the Big Name Writers (and Big Name Pencillers) are locked up by the big two, and Dynamite could not compete with the kind of page rates they get there. All very well to throw out fantasy wish lists of who we'd love to see writing/drawing PSP, but realistically, it would have to be a mid-level established or up-and-coming talent. DE could probably get some old-time writer or artist (say, a Roy Thomas or someone) but I don't think they are trying to appeal to the older fans, mostly the younger ones who wouldn't pick this up automatically out of interest in Golden Age characters.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Let's heat up this site a bit.

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  The problem is, most of the Big Name Writers (and Big Name Pencillers) are locked up by the big two, and Dynamite could not compete with the kind of page rates they get there. All very well to throw out fantasy wish lists of who we'd love to see writing/drawing PSP, but realistically, it would have to be a mid-level established or up-and-coming talent. DE could probably get some old-time writer or artist (say, a Roy Thomas or someone) but I don't think they are trying to appeal to the older fans, mostly the younger ones who wouldn't pick this up automatically out of interest in Golden Age characters.
                  And I maintain, that if quality writers and artists DON'T come to this title (PSP), the quality of the books will never be able to compete in this marketplace.

Roy Thomas is a good suggestion. A very good suggestion. And I think DE could afford to pay a top quality writer and artist for this ONE title ONLY. Not every title in their line.

Once the ground work for PSP is successful, DE could start to branch out with hero groups like The Super-Mystery Men, Big Shots, The Big Three, and the others.

BUT... they, DE, must get this "CORE" title off the ground and flying or none of the titles and heroes will "fly".

We can disagree on this point. Which can be a fun exchange of ideas.

I'm not mean-spirited about this and I know you are not either. We both want the same thing. A return of the Project: SuperPowers!!

I'm interested in your reply.

I think everything could be scrapped and should be started over.
                  The urn idea by the Fighting Yank was kinda wrong.
                  The main problem is to bring the heroes from the 1940's to the present.(remember, DE hasn't hired me yet, as a co-editor. )(LOL)
                  Alex Ross' covers will bring the "younger ones" you are concerned about. What is necessary is that when they open the book --- there is a good quality story there and good quality art. (To keep them.)

Your turn.

P.S. Roy Thomas' Alter-Ego #111 is focused on the Nedor/Standard heroes: Black Terror, Fighting Yank, Miss Masque, Pyroman, Grim Reaper, American Eagle, Doc Strange,.... out this month...July.

I think Nick should hire Roy Thomas to either edit or write the Project: Superheroes book. We NEED somebody with the knowledge and experience to handle the Golden Age heroes and their return.!!

(Not all good talent is "locked up" by the Big 2.!! There are good quality writers, editors, artists, and inkers that could fill the bill.)

I just suggested to Nick to hire John Byrne to draw Peter Cannon....THUNDERBOLT. Or, Nick could probably hire Jerry Ordway to draw either T-Bolt or Project: SuperPowers. Geeeesh. There ARE guys out there. Mike Machlin could ink!!
                  Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-08-2012, 02:57 AM.

Comment

I'd love to see Roy Thomas write for Dynamite. I know he's in his 70s now, but I'll bet he'd jump at the chance to work on some Golden Age characters again.

Comment

Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                      I think everything could be scrapped and should be started over.
                      The urn idea by the Fighting Yank was kinda wrong.
                      These two ideas alone would turn me off 100%. I can't stand reboots so scrapping and starting over would automatically make me lose interest. And the Urn idea was original and has led to some great stories. Chapter Two couldn't have happened without the Urn.

Honestly, the only real flaw that I saw in the books (which I'm currently rereading in order, including the minis, oneshots, and Black Terror ongoing) is that there are WAY too many characters and very little progression for them. It's fully plot-driven instead of character driven. The beginning was character-driven with Fighting Yank and then the minis did a good job on that, but Chapter 2 and the rest of Chapter 1 was just 2-D characters attacking the plot. That's the only thing that needed fixed, but you dont' fix it by undoing it. That's a cheap MARVEL/DC method. Take the time and effort to move forward.

And as for art, the only part that hurt was Chapter 1's main artist was kinda bleh. Everything else has been stellar actually.

Comment

Questions.???

Originally posted by JewishHobbit View Post
                        These two ideas alone would turn me off 100%. I can't stand reboots so scrapping and starting over would automatically make me lose interest. And the Urn idea was original and has led to some great stories. Chapter Two couldn't have happened without the Urn.

Honestly, the only real flaw that I saw in the books (which I'm currently rereading in order, including the minis, oneshots, and Black Terror ongoing) is that there are WAY too many characters and very little progression for them. It's fully plot-driven instead of character driven. The beginning was character-driven with Fighting Yank and then the minis did a good job on that, but Chapter 2 and the rest of Chapter 1 was just 2-D characters attacking the plot. That's the only thing that needed fixed, but you dont' fix it by undoing it. That's a cheap MARVEL/DC method. Take the time and effort to move forward.

And as for art, the only part that hurt was Chapter 1's main artist was kinda bleh. Everything else has been stellar actually.
                        ok, Maybe I'm wrong.
                        But Please explain to me (1) why did the Fighting Yank put all of his friends who were fighting against the Axis Powers and the criminal element in American Society in the Urn.???

And (2) Why did the heroes, in mass, go to and try to stop the bombing of Japan that would save lives and end the war.??

Just answer me those two questions. I'm not sure I understood the reasoning there.

And I agree with you that there was not enough character developement to "hook" the readers and the characters were very one-dimensional. (See Alan Moore's TERRA OBSCURA for characterization and good story developement.)
                        ((Or see Darwyn Cooke's BEFORE THE WATCHMEN-- MINUTEMEN for a better handling of the characters involved. Or, see MYSTERY MEN or THE TWELVE for a better handling of story and characterization.))
                        Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-08-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

ok, Maybe I'm wrong.
                          But Please explain to me (1) why did the Fighting Yank put all of his friends who were fighting against the Axis Powers and the criminal element in American Society in the Urn.???
                          He was convinced by the ghost of his ancestor that Pandora's Urn would recapture the evils of the world and he was shown proof through a mask that saw the invisible evils that Hitler had released from it previously. However, in order for it to work as it originally did it also needed to capture the hope of the world, which he was convinced were the masked heroes. So in order to trap the evils of the world (and save the world from them) he also had to sacrefice his friends. Thus, he did as he felt was right despite the pain it caused them and himself. Sadly, we later learned that his ancestor was wrong and it didn't trap any evils and that what Yank saw through his mask wasn't really what he was told they were. And then he freed the heroes he had trapped.

The anguish Yank felt for having made the wrong call on this was one of the ONLY times during the Project Superpowers line that we really got to know one of the main characters as more than just a 2-dimentional character. It was really well done I thought.

And (2) Why did the heroes, in mass, go to and try to stop the bombing of Japan that would save lives and end the war.??
                          I don't recall he details but I think it was as simple as they didn't agree with the method of killing so many innocent people to stop the war. The people who were to be bombed and evaporated weren't the enemy and they wanted to stop America from making a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by JewishHobbit View Post
                            He was convinced by the ghost of his ancestor that Pandora's Urn would recapture the evils of the world and he was shown proof through a mask that saw the invisible evils that Hitler had released from it previously. However, in order for it to work as it originally did it also needed to capture the hope of the world, which he was convinced were the masked heroes. So in order to trap the evils of the world (and save the world from them) he also had to sacrefice his friends. Thus, he did as he felt was right despite the pain it caused them and himself. Sadly, we later learned that his ancestor was wrong and it didn't trap any evils and that what Yank saw through his mask wasn't really what he was told they were. And then he freed the heroes he had trapped.

The anguish Yank felt for having made the wrong call on this was one of the ONLY times during the Project Superpowers line that we really got to know one of the main characters as more than just a 2-dimentional character. It was really well done I thought.

I don't recall he details but I think it was as simple as they didn't agree with the method of killing so many innocent people to stop the war. The people who were to be bombed and evaporated weren't the enemy and they wanted to stop America from making a mistake.
                            Being him, would you have done the same??
                            Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-08-2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

And I maintain, that if quality writers and artists DON'T come to this title (PSP), the quality of the books will never be able to compete in this marketplace.

Roy Thomas is a good suggestion. A very good suggestion. And I think DE could afford to pay a top quality writer and artist for this ONE title ONLY. Not every title in their line.

Alex Ross' covers will bring the "younger ones" you are concerned about. What is necessary is that when they open the book --- there is a good quality story there and good quality art. (To keep them.)

I think Nick should hire Roy Thomas to either edit or write the Project: Superheroes book. We NEED somebody with the knowledge and experience to handle the Golden Age heroes and their return.!!

(Not all good talent is "locked up" by the Big 2.!! There are good quality writers, editors, artists, and inkers that could fill the bill.)

I just suggested to Nick to hire John Byrne to draw Peter Cannon....THUNDERBOLT. Or, Nick could probably hire Jerry Ordway to draw either T-Bolt or Project: SuperPowers. Geeeesh. There ARE guys out there. Mike Machlin could ink!!
                              Here on these forums, you're preaching to the converted. I said nothing about talent or quality. I spoke of "Big Name Writers/Artists". Roy Thomas, John Byrne, and Jerry Ordway are not "Big Names" in today's comic book market. They were once, but nowadays the younger readers really don't care about these guys. The only "Big Name" creators DE is employing are Garth Ennis, and maybe Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek. David Liss is an established novelist who might be considered an "up-and-coming" new talent as far as comics are concerned, and Colton Worley might be making a name for himself on The Spider as well. They had Frank Cho on Jungle Girl, but he basically conceived & art-directed it and did covers; no interior art or writing. Based on the non-drawing power of the names Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek on Project Superpowers and Kirby Genesis, I'd have to say that sadly, their time as Big Names may have passed. DE tends to have sort of an all-star lineup of cover artists (Ross, Jusko, Cassaday, Francavilla), but if they're not doing interior art, the comic world at large doesn't get too excited about these books.

No, what I'm talking about here isn't really about quality or talent per se, it's about celebrity and star power -- the ability of an artist or writer to draw attention (and sales) to a project based on association alone. Sure, I'D love it if Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway agreed to write and draw PSP, but would it put asses in seats? I doubt it. More's the pity.

There are two hurdles that need to be overcome. First, you have to convince the retailers to order heavily, so that the book is available and promoted on the local level. Then there's the buying public -- if you build it, will they come? No guarantees there either, which is why it's better to lead with Big Name Creators (since the characters are no longer big names themselves).
                              Last edited by positronic; 07-09-2012, 01:20 AM.
                              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Working...
                              X