Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When should we expect new Superpowers titles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see the PSP forum close to the top again even if it is combined with Kirby: Genesis.

Comment

I definataly want more Project superpowers books and spinoff series, I loved this series so much and actually felt like crying when I saw that dynamite let it lay dead for so long. There is no excuse worthy of this happening.

Comment

Did they really know who they were???

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        Well, how old were you when you picked up FF#4? Did you even think or care about where comic books came from? Whether or not they were produced by artists and writers and editors? Probably not, if you were the "average" comic book reader, because the age of the average comic reader skewed very young back then. But for anyone old enough or intelligent enough to be cognizant of such things, they were aware that comic books were made by humans who needed to write and draw them. This is true going back to before there were comic books. If you read Dick Tracy or Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers in the 1930s, and were cognizant of such things, you knew that they were produced by such people as Chester Gould, Alex Raymond or Dick Calkins because their names were on them. In that last case, the Buck Rogers you might be reading might NOT be drawn by Dick Calkins, but instead by Russell Keaton or Rick Yager, even though Calkins' name was on it. But if you were a little older, you might notice that certain strips were drawn differently, even if you couldn't put a name to it. Thus, to an entire generation that even paused to think of such things, they knew that there was a mysterious "good duck artist" that drew certain Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics, even if they didn't know his name. It was to the benefit of the publishers to keep the focus on the characters, and let most of the writers and artists remain anonymous. Credits didn't become standard in comic books until the late 1960s, but for anyone who cared, certain strips were bylined almost from the beginning of comic books, and it's an absolute fact that the Simon & Kirby byline appeared on their comics early and often, so they were one of the creative teams that WERE known -- no fandom sleuthing involved. Nobody expects that an 8 or 10 year old in 1962 is going to have any sense of comic book history or familiarity with the creative personnel involved, unless they were fortunate enough to have an older relative or 'mentor' that could give them access to older comics and clue them into the history and what was good.
        Pos, I don't think Stan Lee knew who "Stan Lee" was in 1961.

Jack may have known he was the Greatest ComicBook artist alive.... but "Lee and Kirby"... I'm not so sure.
        Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-17-2012, 04:56 AM.

Comment

You lost me, Magno. Stan certainly knew who Stan Lee was. He'd been using that name professionally for a couple of decades. Not sure when exactly he legally changed it. Probably safe to say after FF began to gain him notoriety. Jack was by all accounts not one to toot his own horn (probably to his own detriment, all things considered), so I'm pretty sure he'd never have claimed to be (or indeed thought of himself as) the "Greatest" anything. Again by all accounts, when he did "fight for his rights" it wasn't an ego thing, it was for his family. OK, we've established that back then you (and anyone you personally knew) had no idea who Kirby was. It doesn't follow logically that nobody reading comics then knew who Jack Kirby was. Unlike Carl Barks, his identity as the artist wasn't exactly kept as a closely guarded secret - except maybe at DC in the '50s; I can't remember if he actually got to sign any of his DC work for Jack Schiff, but that was probably standard DC policy at the time. But prior to that, the "Simon & Kirby" credit was all over their work.
          Last edited by positronic; 07-17-2012, 03:40 PM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

You lost me, Magno. Stan certainly knew who Stan Lee was. He'd been using that name professionally for a couple of decades. Not sure when exactly he legally changed it. Probably safe to say after FF began to gain him notoriety. Jack was by all accounts not one to toot his own horn (probably to his own detriment, all things considered), so I'm pretty sure he'd never have claimed to be (or indeed thought of himself as) the "Greatest" anything. Again by all accounts, when he did "fight for his rights" it wasn't an ego thing, it was for his family. OK, we've established that back then you (and anyone you personally knew) had no idea who Kirby was. It doesn't follow logically that nobody reading comics then knew who Jack Kirby was. Unlike Carl Barks, his identity as the artist wasn't exactly kept as a closely guarded secret - except maybe at DC in the '50s; I can't remember if he actually got to sign any of his DC work for Jack Schiff, but that was probably standard DC policy at the time. But prior to that, the "Simon & Kirby" credit was all over their work.
            positronic, I didn't mean that not one single person knew who Jack was. And Stan was known for writing the Westerns, the Black Knights, the Millie the Model, Pasty Walker stuff. You are missing the point.

I was saying that the 2 big companies don't have all the good talent signed up.
            Did you read that Image has hired a bunch of top talent to bolster their line.??

I'm saying that there ARE artists, writers, editors, inkers, ...out there... that could make PSP work...and provide the quality of product that is needed to make The Project "work". Big names ARE IMPORTANT, I'll grant you that. But quality comics can be produced with the talent that the big 2 don't have.

I would hope they could bring all the heroes back ....and, at first, get them into their original groups(by company)...and then, after they develope their characters and inter-action with the members of their own group,.... they could team-up with the other groups. (ala' the Avengers vs. the X-men kind of deal.)

Do you see how DC has been releasing the BEFORE WATCHMEN. They are developing these characters that will someday come together.

I think we all dream of these heroes being 3-dimensional, and interacting with members of their own group (like the Fantastic Four) and interacting with other groups. (Whether its FF and The Avengers, or FF and The X-Men, or The Avengers vs The X-Men.... it is always an "event" to see heroes and hero-groups interact with each other....provided they are not "just suits". (PSP)
            We want to "know" them and it's fun to see how they "play" off of each other while trying to save Earth and defeat the villains.

What about Roberson writing The Project.??? Alex was impressed enough with his writing to jump into the pulp heroes team-up.

Even if Roberson started over,..... I just would love to see THE PROJECT back on the shelves.
            Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-22-2012, 03:00 AM.

Comment

As would I. I don't know why, but somehow I have this crazy idea where I think people should (or I would like them to) appreciate the same kinds of things I enjoy. I've found in actuality though, that it's frequently not the case. Don't ask me why, I can't figure it out either. Some people just stubbornly resist being right-thinking and sensible.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Fighting Stubborn resistance to right thinking and sensibility.

As would I. I don't know why, but somehow I have this crazy idea where I think people should (or I would like them to) appreciate the same kinds of things I enjoy. I've found in actuality though, that it's frequently not the case. Don't ask me why, I can't figure it out either. Some people just stubbornly resist being right-thinking and sensible.
                I agree. With a rye smile.
                Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-01-2012, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Blue moon over August!!

When should we expect new Superpowers' titles???

Come on, Nick, you're killin' us here.

August has a "blue moon".

By the next "blue moon", Nick??? Nick??? Talk to us. Give us some HOPE.!!!

Get us a GOOD.... NO...GREAT WRITER.... and bring our heroes back to the comicbook page.

Comment

Heh. I was just thinking that Moonstone Books should change their name to BLUE MOONstone, since that's about how often they release their books.

Comment

It was Great to see those Golden Age heroes again.

I really liked the 4 Favorites Group: The Super-Mystery Men
                      MAGNO
                      Davey
                      "Lash" LIGHTNING
                      LIGHTNING GIRL
                      THE RAVEN
                      VULCAN
                      THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER and
                      CAPTAIN COURAGEOUS.

Another Group we should have seen and didn't was THE BIG 3:
                      THE FLAME
                      SAMSON
                      and THE BLUE BEETLE.... OR rename BB ... THE BLUE SCARAB!!
                      It would have been nice to see Blue Beetle a "player" in the PSP comics. He's a great Golden Age Hero.

It was great to see:
                      Skyman
                      Marvelo
                      and THE FACE on the Ross cover.
                      I was hoping to see them together. It was many of those covers that got me to buy the books.

It was just great to see all of those GOLDEN AGE HEROES "back in action."

It would be great to see them again. I'd pay money to see them again.

It was disappointing to find out that Daredevil ('Devil) wasn't the REAL, Original, Golden Age Daredevil.
                      I'm not sure about THE CLAW ....I'll have to re-read what happened to him. It was great to see him(it?) again.

I was disappointed in not seeing Blue Beetle, Crimebuster, or IronJaw.

Just as DE pursues MASKS, Nick must understand that there are fans out here that want, desperately want, a return of the GOLDEN AGE HEROES.

I hope Nick is still looking for the "right" team.

Oh, and it was GREAT to see the return of SILVER STREAK, THE GHOST, ....and I wished... The "real" Daredevil had come together against THE CLAW.
                      It's strange that SILVER STREAK didn't know 'Devil was not the real DAREDEVIL since they had met and knew each other.
                      Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-25-2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                        I really liked the 4 Favorites Group: The Super-Mystery Men
                        MAGNO
                        Davey
                        "Lash" LIGHTNING
                        LIGHTNING GIRL
                        THE RAVEN
                        VULCAN
                        THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER and
                        CAPTAIN COURAGEOUS.

Another Group we should have seen and didn't was THE BIG 3:
                        THE FLAME
                        SAMSON
                        and THE BLUE BEETLE.... OR rename BB ... THE BLUE SCARAB!!
                        It would have been nice to see Blue Beetle a "player" in the PSP comics. He's a great Golden Age Hero.

It was great to see:
                        Skyman
                        Marvelo
                        and THE FACE on the Ross cover.
                        I was hoping to see them together. It was many of those covers that got me to buy the books.

It was just great to see all of those GOLDEN AGE HEROES "back in action."

It would be great to see them again. I'd pay money to see them again.

It was disappointing to find out that Daredevil ('Devil) wasn't the REAL, Original, Golden Age Daredevil.
                        I'm not sure about THE CLAW ....I'll have to re-read what happened to him. It was great to see him(it?) again.

I was disappointed in not seeing Blue Beetle, Crimebuster, or IronJaw.

Just as DE pursues MASKS, Nick must understand that there are fans out here that want, desperately want, a return of the GOLDEN AGE HEROES.

I hope Nick is still looking for the "right" team.

Oh, and it was GREAT to see the return of SILVER STREAK, THE GHOST, ....and I wished... The "real" Daredevil had come together against THE CLAW.
                        It's strange that SILVER STREAK didn't know 'Devil was not the real DAREDEVIL since they had met and knew each other.
                        Hey, gang,
                        Speaking of the Golden Age DAREDEVIL, CRIMEBUSTER, The GHOST vs THE CLAW, and IRON JAW, --- on page 232 of September's PREVIEWS ---- GOLDEN AGE GREATS Volume 11-- has them all. A little spendy: $29.95 but a good example of Charles Biro's stuff. Wished Bill Black would have had more of DAREDEVIL, THE CLAW, THE GHOST, CRIMEBUSTER, IRON JAW, or THE LITTLE WISE GUYS instead of some of the other entries but....hey, I'm not running things. Guess we have to take what we can get!! ......until Nick finds someone to breathe new life into PROJECT: SUPERPOWERS.!!
                        Last edited by magnoanddavey; 09-04-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Back on topic; I guess with the fact we are now into September, it is unlikely we will see any PSP in 2012? How long will that be from the X-Mas issue? 2 years?

Comment

Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
                            Back on topic; I guess with the fact we are now into September, it is unlikely we will see any PSP in 2012? How long will that be from the X-Mas issue? 2 years?
                            Project Superpowers X-Mas Carol #1 (and only) came out in December 2010. You'd think if nothing else was on the horizon, they could have at least thrown us the bone of an annual holiday special.

Comment

No Smack down for you!!

Project Superpowers X-Mas Carol #1 (and only) came out in December 2010. You'd think if nothing else was on the horizon, they could have at least thrown us the bone of an annual holiday special.
                              That issue was pretty special to me. It had Magno, the Magnetic man and The Clown, his greatest nemesis, on the cover.
                              I was certain that the next issue would have Magno find Davey and that they would engage THE CLOWN and maybe THE COBRA for a great "smack down". (Didn't happen. Darn it!!)

Comment

When should we expect new Superpowers titles?

BZZZTTT!! Ohhh! There goes the buzzer. Darn it, we're out of time. Well, everyone, thanks for playing. Sorry that none of our contestants guessed the correct answer, which was, "When Hell freezes over." The judges would also have accepted "When pigs fly." Too bad, but better luck next time. (Studio Audience: "AAaawwww...") All of our contestants will receive as a consolation prize a gift certificate to the Spiegle Catalog. Travel arrangements to and from New York City courtesy of American Airlines. Fly American. When in New York, guests of the show stay at the Park Plaza Hilton. Wardrobe by Botany 5000. Until next time, this is your host, Wink Martindale, saying good night for Don't Hold Your Breath.
                                Last edited by positronic; 09-12-2012, 10:38 AM. Reason: punching up the script

Comment

Working...
                                X