Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When should we expect new Superpowers titles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, its all about the numbers, isn't it? PSP and K:G (and Valiant) may inspire intense devotion in the minds and hearts of the intense few, but "Joe Averagecomicbookfan" (the backbone of the weekly Marvel & DC consumer) seems largely to evince a collective shrug (and that pretty much applies to most of DE's and BOOM's product as well) from where I'm sitting behind the counter. Not saying there isn't the occasional one-off exception to this (e.g. Walking Dead or Fatale), but by and large it applies.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      Well, its all about the numbers, isn't it? PSP and K:G (and Valiant) may inspire intense devotion in the minds and hearts of the intense few, but "Joe Averagecomicbookfan" (the backbone of the weekly Marvel & DC consumer) seems largely to evince a collective shrug (and that pretty much applies to most of DE's and BOOM's product as well) from where I'm sitting behind the counter. Not saying there isn't the occasional one-off exception to this (e.g. Walking Dead or Fatale), but by and large it applies.
      Well, Pos-- there was no "come-back" yet. Hard to argue with the reality of the situation.
      I'm afraid I have to agree with you. It is about the numbers.

DE doesn't seem interested in bringing back the GOLDEN AGE HEROES!!
      I think they did a bad job in their first attempt.
      To me, they had GREAT characters, GREAT COVERS, .... and stories and art that were pretty weak.

Mark Waid is coming over to write GREEN HORNET.

If only.... they had a decent writer, ... an editor who knew where he was going.... a couple of "knock-out" artists ....and they would start over.... maybe PROJECT SUPERPOWERS could make it. (imho)

You only get one chance to make a good "first impression". Maybe a name change would be necessary, too.

I still think there's MAGIC in those ol' GOLDEN AGE HEROES.

And those Alex Ross' covers were wonderful. Interior art and story turned off a lot of readers.... and there went the "numbers."

If you give them a Great cover but the stories and art turn them off.... you're finished.!!

Turn down the house lights..... we're finished!!
      Last edited by magnoanddavey; 10-09-2012, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Boy, if you could reunite Mark Waid and Alex Ross on a project, who knows what's possible. Sorta got the impression there might have been some bad blood between them, post-Kingdom Come. (?) But even if there was a 2-3 month wait between issues, it'd be worth it.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

A solid FOUNDATION OF WAID AND ROSS!!

Boy, if you could reunite Mark Waid and Alex Ross on a project, who knows what's possible. Sorta got the impression there might have been some bad blood between them, post-Kingdom Come. (?) But even if there was a 2-3 month wait between issues, it'd be worth it.
          I'm with ya. If Waid would write it and Alex would do the art,--- how could it miss??? With their history, fans would buy..... and, I think, it would be successful. It would generate a lot of excitement in fandom.

Once the heroes are transferred from the past to the present--- then, Dynamite could slowly spin them off into their own books. But they (DE) have to give the fans a quality first run of books.

There MUST be a solid FOUNDATION to build the Dynamite Super-Hero line on .!!

Now Matt Wagner is here with THE SHADOW: YEAR ONE!!

Now, if only we had a writer for The PROJECT: Year One!!!!????

I would love to tell why I think PSP failed...but I'd get thrown off the site.

All I can do is ask Nick to reconsider RE-doing the Project.
          I have some ideas about how to pull it off. But I'll be quiet.
          Last edited by magnoanddavey; 10-13-2012, 11:42 PM.

Comment

I am a huge Dynamite fan of the old characters, but I think positronic is right. Its all about the numbers and generating big bucks.

Even more so, the big bucks a collector thinks they can rate on the "value" of their comic according to various comic ratings sources. I think that's a real shame and should be another new topic here.

I mean really....have any of you EVER made a fortune from your comic collection?

I just buy them and read them for the enjoyment of it.

EVERY time I've gone thru the process of bagging and boarding so called valuable unread issues, I have found no comic collector or shop wants them because they already have a load of them, and can't even GIVE them away!

old superman
            Last edited by old superman; 10-16-2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by old superman View Post
              EVERY time I've gone thru the process of bagging and boarding so called valuable unread issues, I have found no comic collector or shop wants them because they already have a load of them, and can't even GIVE them away!

old superman
              I work part-time in a comic shop, and I can confirm this. We see collections of the same old Marvel, DC, and Image stuff from the '90s/'00s every single week. Ironically, this makes a collection of oddball/small-press/indy publishers' comics more sellable, since they're not offered as often. Not that it will generate big money (it's still dependent on demand, and demand for those titles is relatively small), but retailers are looking for books that they don't already have dozens of copies of in their back-issue bins. So hold on to those Dynamite titles and other companies' books that the mainstream collectors ignore.

Comment

BLACK TERROR reappears!!

Check out MASKS #3 cover. Our ol' pal-- THE BLACK TERROR-- is front and center.!!

(That's the best I can do for ya.)

Comment

Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                  Check out MASKS #3 cover. Our ol' pal-- THE BLACK TERROR-- is front and center.!!

(That's the best I can do for ya.)
                  Here's the cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Masks03-cov-Ross1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	48699

It occurs to me that here is a defining moment in the history of heroic fiction. HERE is the moment that the first generation of masked mystery men, NONE of whom has super powers, meets the first of the NEXT generation of mystery men, the SUPERpowered heroes. A defining moment that has never before been seen or described in popular fiction. As a group, the pulp heroes seem a little astounded to witness bullets bouncing off The Black Terror's body. All perhaps, except for The Green Lama, whose somewhat more modest powers of the mind make him sort of a transitional lynchpin between the two generations.

Does this make the pulp heroes part of the history of the PSP universe?

Comment

Here's the cover.

[ATTACH]559[/ATTACH]

It occurs to me that here is a defining moment in the history of heroic fiction. HERE is the moment that the first generation of masked mystery men, NONE of whom has super powers, meets the first of the NEXT generation of mystery men, the SUPERpowered heroes. A defining moment that has never before been seen or described in popular fiction. As a group, the pulp heroes seem a little astounded to witness bullets bouncing off The Black Terror's body. All perhaps, except for The Green Lama, whose somewhat more modest powers of the mind make him sort of a transitional lynchpin between the two generations.

Does this make the pulp heroes part of the history of the PSP universe?
                    An excellent observation of this defining moment in the history of heroic fiction. Bravo!!

(At least in the Dynamite Universe, --- that can't, effectively, move their Golden Age, "Super-Powered" PSP heroes into the present.)[Which is still a bit heart-breaking to me.]
                    Last edited by magnoanddavey; 10-22-2012, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I wonder what other PSP characters we might see in MASKS besides Green Lama and Black Terror. Of course, Green Lama is most appropriate, since he began his career as a pulp hero. As much as I love the PSP characters, I'm hoping (except for the Terror) that they keep this series relatively superpower-free. There are a number of other NON-powered PSP characters who would fit, however. Hoping to see Daredevil (they can still call him that on the inside of the book, right?)

Comment

Here's Dynamite's solicitation for MASKS #3...

MASKS #3
                        DYNAMIC FORCES
                        (W) Chris Roberson (A) Dennis Calero (CA) Alex Ross & Various
                        With criminals and corrupt politicians in power, the masked vigilantes are on the run. The Spider ventures to Albany to investigate the newly elected governor who has signed all of the unjust measures into law, while Green Hornet seeks to find the secret masters of the Justice Party. The Shadow encounters other heroes who have run afoul of the Black Legions, and still more individuals are inspired to don masks and take to the streets in the name of justice.

What's intriguing to me is that last line, "...and still more individuals are inspired to don masks and take to the streets in the name of justice". I'm wondering if we might be seeing some rebooted origins of PSP characters.

Comment

I am happy to have Masks and The Spider comics. Hopefully this will lead to a return of PSP.

Comment

Maybe some of the "best" of the Golden Age may be returning!!

Here's Dynamite's solicitation for MASKS #3...

MASKS #3
                            DYNAMIC FORCES
                            (W) Chris Roberson (A) Dennis Calero (CA) Alex Ross & Various
                            With criminals and corrupt politicians in power, the masked vigilantes are on the run. The Spider ventures to Albany to investigate the newly elected governor who has signed all of the unjust measures into law, while Green Hornet seeks to find the secret masters of the Justice Party. The Shadow encounters other heroes who have run afoul of the Black Legions, and still more individuals are inspired to don masks and take to the streets in the name of justice.

What's intriguing to me is that last line, "...and still more individuals are inspired to don masks and take to the streets in the name of justice". I'm wondering if we might be seeing some rebooted origins of PSP characters.
                            Might I add that I had hoped DE would first "establish" these Golden Age heroes .... in the Golden Age first... before dragging them into the future to the present day.

(Most readers of PSP never knew who these heroes were.... and probably saw them only as "one dimensional suits". Maybe these heroes will first be developed--- into "richer" characters...before being moved into the present. We may have to "know" them....before we care for them.) ????!!

I hope you're right--- and I, too, "hope we might be seeing some rebooted origins of the PSP characters".

Comment

Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                              Might I add that I had hoped DE would first "establish" these Golden Age heroes .... in the Golden Age first... before dragging them into the future to the present day.
                              Check out my thread on THE GOLDEN AGE elsewhere on this forum, mag.

Comment

Check out my thread on THE GOLDEN AGE elsewhere on this forum, mag.
                                Cool!! Wished it had more pictures.... but...yeah! Thanks for the heads up!! good reading ahead!
                                You know all the good stuff!!

Well, The American Eagle(Thomas Standish) is there. So is The Black Bat, Robert Benton as THE BLACK TERROR, THE CRUSADER, DOC MARVEL, THE FIGHTING YANK, KARA (JUNGLE PRINCESS), THE LIBERATOR, MISS MASQUE(Diana Adams), THE SCARAB(Peter Ward), THE SPHINX (Nelson Drew), PYROMAN, and a lot of our friends from Standard/Better/Nedor.

Should be an interesting read. Now, if we could only get Dynamite to return these heroes to the comicbook pages!!!

Well, speak of the....(Dare)Devil !! Nick has offered some great news. See other thread about the Return of The Project: SuperPowers!!

Is Life Great...or what!!??
                                Last edited by magnoanddavey; 12-16-2012, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X