Things are slowing down for P:SP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things are slowing down for P:SP

I love this line of comics but I would have hoped to see more by now. 2 monthly titles is not a lot for a "universe" and I know they are taking the slow and steady approach but the P:SP fan in me wants more titles on the shelves and more product to purchase related to this line of comics. I really hope that once chapter 2 if done and over with that we finally start seeing some new mini sereis and monthly books on comic shelves, 4-5 monthly titles wouldn't be much to ask in my opinion.

Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
    I love this line of comics but I would have hoped to see more by now. 2 monthly titles is not a lot for a "universe" and I know they are taking the slow and steady approach but the P:SP fan in me wants more titles on the shelves and more product to purchase related to this line of comics. I really hope that once chapter 2 if done and over with that we finally start seeing some new mini sereis and monthly books on comic shelves, 4-5 monthly titles wouldn't be much to ask in my opinion.
    As I mentioned in one of the other threads, I would assume that DE will be fleshing out the universe throughout the PSP v3 maxi-series and then from there we will begin to see some solo titles as well as team books which will become the norm once the "Trilogy" is out of the way. It would be silly (IMO) to keep doing a volumized format for Project Superpowers when pretty much all it's fans are thirsting for some monthly books based on it's heroes, so hopefully they don't keep up waiting that long.

Also, Black Terror is still coming out monthly and I know DE is (or was) planning a series of one-shots for some of the heroes that may come out soon, but I'm not sure if thats still the plan. I can see where the "Slow and Steady" approach to building the universe can be frusterating, it makes me upset too, but it will be better for the company as a whole instead of pumping out a billion titles at once and risking a failure.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
      I can see where the "Slow and Steady" approach to building the universe can be frusterating, it makes me upset too, but it will be better for the company as a whole instead of pumping out a billion titles at once and risking a failure.
      I can live with "slow and steady" when it's at least on time. I think #12 was advertised for June and that doesn't appear to be happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
        I can live with "slow and steady" when it's at least on time. I think #12 was advertised for June and that doesn't appear to be happening.
        It definitly wont be, issue #12 probably wont see the light of day until at least August I'm guessing, maybe July if they pump out these issues one after another. Lateness is something that haunts most non-big 2 company's, it even happens at the big two as well, just not as often.
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Comment

I, like most of you, bemoan the fact that there are only two PSP titles out there (Chapter 2 and Black Terror). Particularly when that relative newcomer to DE, the Green Hornet, has something like a zillion titles (GH Year One; Kato Origins; Smith GH; Smith Kato; GH Strikes; GH Classic; GH Parallel Lives...).

Am I just deluding myself thinking that maybe DE is just "hiding" other PSP titles that are in the works until Chapter 2 is over? I mean, if it is not clear that 'Devil will survive Chapter 2, why boast that he has his own title?

Yes, I know I am grasping at straws. But I so want more PSP titles!!

Comment

I want more P:SP titles as well -- but given what I've seen of recent sales, I'm not sure we'll see that any time soon. Given the way Chapter 2 is wrapping up -- with the rather sudden introduction of the Claw -- it seems like we might not even get a Chapter 3 (which I expected to deal with the Claw's return, etc.). Sales have dropped to a third of what they were initially (the opening issue of Chapter 2 sold around 30,000 copies I believe, whereas the last figures I saw, for issue 7 or 8, were around 10,000). Not good.

Anyways, I really think what they need to do is a series of "Year One" minis or specials, perhaps with reprinted matieral as bonus features. The one complaint I've heard repeatedly about these books is how there are too many characters, and they're too ill-defined. I don't quite think that's true myself -- but if that's the general perception, then doing some "Year One" tales would help.

But things do seem to be slowing down at the moment. I am pleased that they're continuing on with the Black Terror (I saw recent solicits for August or September, and have to say the Parrot looks like a potentially more interesting addition than I thought).
            Last edited by jsf; 05-28-2010, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Sales are sales but as long as the profit side of things is looking good then I would expect to see some more PSP titles in the coming future, I just don't know how good the "bottom line" is looking. I want to believe that everything is going well is PSP land and they are working behind the scenes for more titles but we won't know until they make some kind of announcement.

I want more (tons more) PSP titles just like you guys, hopefully we will all get our wish sooner than later...
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Comment

I agree with the admin, sales are just sales but there is still a good ammount of readers reading the books and if Dynamite is making some moolah off of the books then they will continue to publish them. I wouldn't worry too much, Chapter 3 is coming, Terror will continue to be published and I'm sure more mini's are on the way. Hopefully we get some more ongoing comics though, I think so that we will.

Comment

I'm sure that if DE is seeing some signifigant money rolling in from PSP that even if they decided against more monthly series and even against more mini-series that they would continue putting PSP out as a 12 issue yearly project and the universe would take place within the one title kind of like an anthology. I hope they don't do this because the more title on the shelves equal more market share and more awareness and availability.

I have seen other publishers in the past try to tell the story of an entire universe through one publication and pretty much all of them have failed, I don't want to see that happen to DE. I kind of wish Simon Bowland still posted here so he could help to clear things up as to whats on the horizon and what isn't.....
                  Dynamite Entertainment
                  Forum Administrator

Comment

In the latest Previews magazine (Superman Earth one cover) the only Superpowers related title in there is Black Terror, there is no mention of Project Superpoiwers or anything like a mini or new ongoing.

Comment

Have to say I'm disheartened to see that the September solicitations have no Project Superpowers books at all.

Hope this is just a brief interruption.

Comment

Does seem like the focus has shifted aay from the Project Superpowers part of Dynamite which I hate to see since that is what brought me to Dynamite Entertainment in the first place

Comment

PSP was supposed to be the 3rd largest superhero universe in all of comics, but now it seems to be an afterthought with the current success of Green Hornet and the upcoming Phantom launch.

I'm still sticking with it, it's a bummer that it's getting 2nd fiddle now, but at least it's still up and running.
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Comment

Well, Black Terror 14 will probably come-out in September based on how late that title has been running, so it's not like there won't be anything to look forward to. Just because nothing is showing up the month after Chapter Two finishes-up, doesn't mean that DE has lost focus on the line.

And let's not forget that there was about an eight-month gap between Chapters One & Two. I would rather see DE hold-off on soliciting books until they have a really good head start with the finished work, so that there won't be any more delays from here on out. They really need to focus on avoiding the constant delays if they want "outsiders" to take this line seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by bchat2 View Post
                              Well, Black Terror 14 will probably come-out in September based on how late that title has been running, so it's not like there won't be anything to look forward to. Just because nothing is showing up the month after Chapter Two finishes-up, doesn't mean that DE has lost focus on the line.

And let's not forget that there was about an eight-month gap between Chapters One & Two. I would rather see DE hold-off on soliciting books until they have a really good head start with the finished work, so that there won't be any more delays from here on out. They really need to focus on avoiding the constant delays if they want "outsiders" to take this line seriously.
                              However, the counter-argument is that without regular new product (ie issues) the PSU will dwindle in terms of support as people lose interest due to lack of anything to support.

Comment

Working...
                              X