Superpowers vs Kirby-verse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superpowers vs Kirby-verse

So, what do you guys think will happen to the PSP once Alex Ross and Busiek release the Kirby-verse upon the world? The Kirby titles will no doubt take away some of the thunder that PSP has had over the past couple of years and DE will most likely shift their focus onto promoting the Kirby line of comics, so what will happen to PSP?

I think the 3rd chapter will wrap it all up personally, I don't see DE putting too much more effort into the line past the 3rd chapter unless the Kirby titles fail, we have already seen them switch focus from PSP to Green Hornet and Phantom so with another major launch like the upcoming Kirby books it's hard for me to see them doing much in the way of Project Superpowers. I could be wrong though, I have been before, but still, I can see some thunder being taken away through it all.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

I hope not but it looks like the Kirbyverse could displace Superpowers.

Comment

I think it depends on how things are wrapped up in Chapter 3. If they leave things open-ended, there's potential for other creators to come in and play. What I would like to see is a foundation laid which allows other writers/artists to come in and tell their own stories (sort of like what Hester's doing in Black Terror).

Get a couple of high profile or reputable writers on board -- pair them with some good artists -- and there's no reason we can't continue to enjoy P:SP.

I think the injection of some new blood into the line (some new creative teams who develop things further) might give things a bounce. Let Wagner take a shot at some Year One tales ala the Green Hornet, and let's see what happens.

Comment

I agree with JSF, maybe the line will continue while being overseen by a new creative force, it could be like when Stan Lee helped Marvel to get off the ground and then ended up doing other things while different people ran the company or something. I just don't want PSP to end, I was hoping (still am) that it becomes it's own universe and continues to put out titles for a good long time.
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Comment

I am a bit pessimistic, which is a shame because right now I would buy into any PSP title such is the enjoyment I have had.

The reasons why I am concerned are:
          1. with the Kirby-verse stuff coming up, the presentation of the PSP books including Alex Ross art on the cover becomes ever more limited with the greater amount of work he is doing outside of the line; plus if he is co-plotting PSP and Kirby-verse, I guess the newness of the latter will interest him more.
          2. delays on the PSP books seem to be getting worse, and releases are usually same week it seems, so there is little ongoing momentum due to patchy and sporadic releases.
          3. DE seem to have thrown a lot of weight behind Green Hornet and Phantom and really don't seem to 'push' the PSP books, at least that I can tell.
          4. the line has not grown in the way that many of us would like to see - enough books (ongoings and limited series) to allow regular releases; we now seemingly have no more than two titles at a time.
          5. word of new series seems to have dried up.
          6. there is nothing being done really to exploit the most attractive properties other than Black Terror; visually DDD works well; there are other characters who could find an audience if books were released.

Comment

DE's big push of Phantom & Green Hornet compared to how they've marketed PSP actually makes sense to me. They've spent money to acquire the licenses for Phantom & GH, while PSP is something they got for free (beyond what they pay the creators). DE NEEDS to make money off the two licenses, while on the other hand there isn't a time-table as to how fast PSP needs to generate a profit.

I'm not all that concerned with the Kirby-verse books taking anything away from PSP. How much involvement does Ross have now in PSP beyond covers anyway? If he plotted-out where he wanted the PSP universe to go, then that's something he probably did years ago and his active involvement in the line is probably next-to-nothing at this point, beyond playing the part of "editor", over-seeing the work other creators are doing. Regarding the Kirby-verse specifically, I don't see it going much of anywhere beyond that initial series. It doesn't appear that there's much updating being done with the costumes, so my guess is that it will start-out strong, with all the Kirby fans buying it up, and then after the initial series, it will die a quiet death as all Kirby-related projects seem to do.

As far as DE not pushing PSP beyond two semi-monthly titles, maybe the reason is that DE can't find the types of creators it feels would do the line justice. Maybe the "Big Names" simply aren't interested in working on these relatively obscure characters.

Comment

Excellent points by the above poster...

Comment

I wonder if they talked to Roy Thomas about writing for the PSU. Roy loves these characters. But maybe his more classical interpretation would clash with Ross and Krueger's vision. He could some excellent flashback stories, though.
                DECODER RING THEATRE
                EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

bchat2 makes several good and valid points, but I admit that it does seem to me that DE just keeps switching from character to character. Look over here! We have Red Sonja! No, look over here, we have the Lone Ranger! No, look over here, we have PSP! No, look over here, we have Zorro! No, look over here, we have Buck Rogers! No, look over here, we have the Green Hornet! No, look over here, we have the Phantom! No, look over here, we have the Kirbyverse!

It just seems that they are chasing after too many rabbits at the same time. There is an old saying: jack of all trades, master of none. DE seems in danger of showing this. They have shown their ability to cover all sorts of characters, but they never seem to stick with them long enough to truly master them.

For the record, I have zero interest in the Kirbyverse. I wasn't intrigued by the characters when Kirby was writing them!

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                    It just seems that they are chasing after too many rabbits at the same time. There is an old saying: jack of all trades, master of none. DE seems in danger of showing this. They have shown their ability to cover all sorts of characters, but they never seem to stick with them long enough to truly master them.
                    It does seem although this is how its going. don't get me wrong. I love Dynamite Books but it seems they draw you in they go hey we have this new property that though, many of them I look forward to, is causing the books we are already enjoying to kinda just stop, get slow, or fall off the world completely.

I'm Happy about Dynamite growing but it also could have a negative effect and have people not wanting to give titles a try , thinking the title will only stick around till they get a new property or focus

Comment

DE seems to have built a good following for Red Sonja since the character has two half-decently long-running titles, and The Lone Ranger is still going strong. I think it's too early for Green Hornet, Stargate or The Phantom to view them as "look over here" type titles. Buck Rogers seems to be done and I don't know what the future holds for Zorro, but not every title a company produces is going to be a hit.

I won't hold this "look over here" approach against DE. A small comic company needs to do something if they want to get noticed by the fans, and striking a deal for a licensed property is an easy way to do that.

Comment

Obviously, you haven't been reading the Lone Ranger board. After the current storyline, it is going on the same sort of hiatus that Zorro is on.

But, hey, look over there, DE has Flash Gordon! And, look over there, DE has Vampirella!

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                          Obviously, you haven't been reading the Lone Ranger board. After the current storyline, it is going on the same sort of hiatus that Zorro is on.

But, hey, look over there, DE has Flash Gordon! And, look over there, DE has Vampirella!
                          Yeah, I have to agree that it's becoming one big thing after another and once a new property is announced the company seems to be shifting focus on the new idea's rather than maintaining everything they have built before it. I guess that's the life and cycle of a small-press comic book publisher.
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Comment

DE owns Vampirella, whereas Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Zorro, etc etc etc are owned by somebody else. Has DE ever come out and said "we have X property for X years"? Could be that the deals for Lone Ranger, Buck Rogers and others simply reached the end and either side decided not to keep the books going. Vampirella on the other hand is something DE has until they sell it off or they stop publishing comics. Yeah, it's another "look over here" but at least they're in it for the long haul.

Comment

I like some Kirby characters, but I prefer Project Superpowers characters to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                              X