Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else concerned about the future of the PSU?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else concerned about the future of the PSU?

This is not me knocking DE - they are a small publisher in a niche market (comic books) and have to work with what succeeds for them. But the only DE stuff I get is the PSU stuff, and a few things have me concerned for the future of the line.
    • The sporadic publication; it seems/feels as though there are more and more delays creeping in - this may be down to my faulty perception, but that is how it feels.
    • No other new ongoings in the line; there are just the Chapters series and Black Terror that go beyond 4 issue series.
    • No further talk about the Ghost mini series.
    • Alex Ross' focus on various licensed properties; would DE be happy to support PSU books without his covers and association?

Now these are just the issues that fuel my concern, and I kind of wish that there was stuff happening to allay them, and I accept that DE are a small publisher and have to do what is best for their business; I just hope that includes continuing support for the PSU line, but I remain concerned.

Can anyone point to anything substantively reassuring?
    Last edited by leonmallett; 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM.

I wish I could, but I can't. I noticed there are no P:SP solicitations for October, other than a tpb of Chapter 2 (vol. 2 of the trades).

I get the feeling they're either quietly letting this go, or getting ready for some sort of overhaul that will (hopefully) surprise people and generate some buzz.

But things momentarily look a bit bleak.

Comment

I said it before, I'll say it again: There was about an eight month gap between Chapters One & Two. My assumption is that we'll probably see a similar delay between Two & Three.

Based on where the Black Terror series is at right now, I'm assuming that issue 14 is coming-out in October, so I'm not overly concerned that DE isn't soliciting anything PSP-related for that month because they (basically & hopefully) already have something coming-out. Why keep soliciting a title they're already falling behind on?

Regarding the "sporadic publication": If the creators involved can't write/draw/ink/letter/color a book in a timely manner, DE needs to either get more people involved to pick-up the slack or get a better head-start on the series before soliciting the books.
      In their defense, it's not like DE is the only company that has delays with their titles. I'm STILL waiting for Marvel to finish-up "The Twelve".

Alex Ross has always been involved in various projects all at once, like Astro City, Avengers/Invaders and covers for various DC titles. His involvement with the Kirbyverse doesn't automatically mean he'll stop contributing covers to the PSP books, and even if it did, it's not like there aren't other big name creators who could draw a cover or two in Ross' place. At this point, the fact that Ross is contributing covers probably isn't having much of an impact on sales anyway. People are either reading the titles or they aren't.

Comment

I'm leaning toward Quietly letting PSU go though I'm crossing my fingers for things just slowing down while they get other stuff going. PSU is what brought me to Dynamite in the first place

Comment

I think they set up an interesting universe and hoped to lure writers and artists into it. Unfortuntely that doesn't to have happened.

There are a few people I would like to see to P:SP: Roy Thomas, George Perez, Jerry Ordway and the Kalutas to name a few.

Of course Jack Kirby is on the top of the list. Yes I know, but that doesn't stop me from wondering what he would have done with these classic characters.
          Last edited by Ghornet2; 07-29-2010, 10:53 AM.
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

I don't think they are quietly going to let PSP go, I think they are going to begin treating the brand with a "when we get to it" attitude and releases are going to become few and far between. But I could be wrong, I guess only time will tell.
            Dynamite Entertainment
            Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Leon, are there any comic book companies you aren't calling out?

Nick Barucci mentioned this at the Dynamite panel in San Diego. The way he described their future plans for Project Superpowers sounds like what happened after the first chapter. He said there will be a couple of character-oriented minis and about 8 or 9 months after chapter two closes, chapter three will fire back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiclo View Post

Nick Barucci mentioned this at the Dynamite panel in San Diego. The way he described their future plans for Project Superpowers sounds like what happened after the first chapter. He said there will be a couple of character-oriented minis and about 8 or 9 months after chapter two closes, chapter three will fire back up.
                Well at least some mini's are planned while we wait on chapter 3, both that and it seems like Black Terror is still going to be a focal point in the PSU, so it looks as if things are not done and over with as far as Superpowers goes. I'm glad, this line of comics has been my favorite in years and I would have hated to see things abandoned.
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

They had a panel in San Diego?

Man, I haven't seen any mention of that on any of the comic fansites (CBR, Newsarama, etc).

What else was mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by jsf View Post
                    They had a panel in San Diego?

Man, I haven't seen any mention of that on any of the comic fansites (CBR, Newsarama, etc).

What else was mentioned?
                    The panel was a very last-minute affair. It was scheduled on Sunday at 3 pm (it started with 2 hours left in the con, horrible time slot) and all of 40 people showed up.

They talked a lot about the Red Sonja family of titles since most of the guys there worked on the Red Sonja books. Edgar Salazar was there and he talked a little bit about Superpowers. A sizable chunk of the discussion was about John Carter, Warlord of Mars. They barely touched on Green Hornet and Phantom and I don't think they more than just mentioned Vampirella.

And then they opened the floor to questions. I asked about the cancelled P:S busts and they said they didn't get the kind of pre-order numbers they were looking for so they scrubbed them. Later, I asked if the Kirbyverse is public domain and they said no, they in fact license those properties from Jack Kirby's estate.

Comment

I don't think this is me 'calling them out' my friend (and I think a certain company have arguably earned any 'calling out' in 5 years of minimal activity); please read my first post:
                      Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
                      This is not me knocking DE - they are a small publisher in a niche market (comic books) and have to work with what succeeds for them. But the only DE stuff I get is the PSU stuff, and a few things have me concerned for the future of the line...I accept that DE are a small publisher and have to do what is best for their business; I just hope that includes continuing support for the PSU line, but I remain concerned.

Can anyone point to anything substantively reassuring?
                      - I am not knocking DE; if they drop PSU books I am sure it is a simple business decision, I just hope that someone can point to something more hopeful.

Comment

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=27512

Comment

so we can look forwards to Volume 3? Thanks Simon.

Comment

Maybe they need to think it out about What Next, intelligently, without getting stuck in repeats or just simple paper pushing, but continuing in the same eventful way

Personally, I'm hoping for some solos, that might guest-star team members; certainly a GREEN LAMA YEAR ONE, something that could also tie-up with future Project Superpowers events, unfinished business from WW2

I also would like to see a solo PYROMAN event in the same manner

PS: If a Project Superpowers Hardcover volume 2 comes along, I'll gladly promote it for free.
                            Last edited by Renaud; 08-04-2010, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I worry that the "Chapter" format may be working against PSP. When something is presented as a multi-part story, the further you are in to it, the less likely new readers are to come on board. I mean, how many people started reading Harry Potter with the final volume? If PSP comes back boasting that they are up the Chapter 3, how many people will be turned off because they have not read the first two chapters.

Of course, the bookshelf editions help to lessen this problem, but I think it still discourages new readers. So, when PSP comes back, I rather hope it is NOT characterized as "Chapter 3" but just as a "new ongoing series set in the PSP universe."

Comment

Working...
                              X