Project Superpowers #11 (spoilers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stmarychnj View Post
    Does anyone else agree with the "fake glasses" theory? Makes sense, but I couldn't tell you what those early PSP panels were about exactly.
    I recall assuming they were fake, but I went back to check out that issue and I can't find what it was that gave me that impression.

Interesting part of the narration though where Spirit says something to the effect that Devil was nearly able to stop him to a panel on which the urn and a boomerang are blood-stained on the floor. I suppose they might have had something of a fight before what was revealed in #11 but at first glance it seemes inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
      I recall assuming they were fake, but I went back to check out that issue and I can't find what it was that gave me that impression.
      Ah, I love a challenge! In #0 of Chapter 1, on the very next page after the bloody boomerang, Fighting Yank tries to justify himself to the American Spirit by saying "if my friends could see what I could, were aware of the supernatural the way I was, they would have done the same." The Spirit replies: "Yes, if they could only see what you saw. But what did you see exactly? And how did you know...?" Yank replies: "What? My mask...my ancestor. The power of the urn. They all guided my hand. I knew in my heart--" The Spirit interrupts: "Your heart lied. Your ancestor was mistaken. The urn was a trap. Both for you and your friends."

This suggests the "supernatural" that Yank saw through the goggles was part of the trap. On the following page, the Spirit speculates to Yank's ghostly ancestor that: "I'm sure that's why you and Yank were chosen. Because you, Bruce Carter the First, believed evil would be that easy to stop. Because you, Fighting Yank, believed in ghosts and superstitions."

In later issues (#s 5 & 6 in particular) Yank comes to realize his ancestor has been using him all along to free the ancestor from the curse. In #6, Yank re-evaluates his life as Fighting Yank as being manipulated by Bruce the First. Yank accuses him: "Just like you knew I'd trust you before I'd listen to my friends and allies because of all you warned me about over the years. All you 'gave' me. What was that, anyhow, that stuff I saw when I put on the 'evil-seeing' goggles? Was it even evil? Is there such a thing?"

Now Bruce the First does not respond, so the question is still out there, but certainly there is reason to think the goggles were faked. Or, if they weren't, there is no reason to necessarily believe what Yank saw was actually evil. He just trusted when others told him that it was evil.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
      Interesting part of the narration though where Spirit says something to the effect that Devil was nearly able to stop him to a panel on which the urn and a boomerang are blood-stained on the floor. I suppose they might have had something of a fight before what was revealed in #11 but at first glance it seemes inconsistent.
      Now there is an interesting point. However, when we see Bart Hill in Chapter 2 #11, he already fully knows what Yank is up to and the purpose of the urn. He must have learned somehow, so maybe that is when the 'Devil almost stopped him as mentioned in Chapter 1. Speculation: Yank was in the process of absorbing another hero into the urn. DDD saw it and tried to stop it, succeeding in knocking the urn from Yank's hand (after the unnamed hero was absorbed). Then Hill "learned" what Yank's purpose was and changed his mind, giving up his costume of his own free will. This would match the earlier description that DDD almost stopped him, and #11's comment from Yank that he "nearly betrayed him as I did the others."

Comment

Tulku, thanks for doing the legwork - I guess we don't know for sure yet. It would be interesting to see if those glasses show up again and we got some sort of explanation. I also agree with your DDD hypothesis. Now, if only Dynamite would give us more PSP and not a half-dozen Green Hornet titles /sigh.

Comment

Working...
        X