Masquerade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masquerade

Picked this up at a comic show two weeks ago and enjoyed this a lot. Read the first part of Project SuperPowers a year ago and wonder why DE isn't doing more to make this a bigger focus? I'm in the market to read Black Terror when I find it next.

I really think DE has something here that could be as explosive as the Valiant Universe was in the mid 90's. There they took older characters like Solar, Turok and Magnus and built a new world around them. DE has a similar base here and I think they could build outwards more from that base.

I like what I've read of this comic universe thus far.

I love the PSP books. But the market has changed since the Valiant days. I don't think sales are that good outside of the main book. I also think Dynamite launches a book then sort of "forgets" about it & moves onto their next new franchise.....

Comment

Originally posted by md62 View Post
      I love the PSP books. But the market has changed since the Valiant days. I don't think sales are that good outside of the main book. I also think Dynamite launches a book then sort of "forgets" about it & moves onto their next new franchise.....
      This.

DE seems to promote the hell out of something and then once they decide to release something new then 100% of their promoting power goes into the new series leaving the other books they release to come out with little promotion or fanfare.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Craig View Post
        I like what I've read of this comic universe thus far.
        Masquerade was the "sleeper" hit of all the series. I thought it was great. I would get all the PSP stuff. Black Terror #1-14. Devil #1-4. Meet the Bad Guys #1-4. PSP Chapter 2 #0-12.

Chapter 3 & more mini series are supposed to come out later this year.

Comment

Valiant Universe was in the mid 90's. There they took older characters like Solar, Turok and Magnus and built a new world around them.
          BTW Dark Horse has revived these books. All written by Jim Shooter. Solar #5 just came out. Magnus is up to #3. Turok has had only one issue so far & Mighty Samson has two.

Comment

BTW Dark Horse has revived these books. All written by Jim Shooter. Solar #5 just came out. Magnus is up to #3. Turok has had only one issue so far & Mighty Samson has two.
            That line of books suffers from delays the likes of which not even Dynamite has seen.

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
              This.

DE seems to promote the hell out of something and then once they decide to release something new then 100% of their promoting power goes into the new series leaving the other books they release to come out with little promotion or fanfare.
              Well, that's why the fans should do what they can to promote the book. There's this thing called the internet now that makes it really easy....

Seriously, just talk it up. Find ways to work it into the conversation. For example, I wrote this blog entry comparing PSP to Disney's Gargoyles. *end of shameless plug*

Comment

Masquerade was the "sleeper" hit of all the series. I thought it was great. I would get all the PSP stuff. Black Terror #1-14. Devil #1-4. Meet the Bad Guys #1-4. PSP Chapter 2 #0-12.

Chapter 3 & more mini series are supposed to come out later this year.
                Those others are on my radar. Glad you named them cause Meet the Bad Guys wasn't on my radar, it is now.

I've been getting them all so far. As someone mentioned the delays are killing me. Wish I knew what caused that to happen. I'm really enjoying Migthy Samson. I'm going to get the collected HC trades that DH has put out. An online site has them for 42% off.

Samson is one of those characters like John Carter of Mars or Vampirella that while they are old this 20+yr comic veteran is just now sampling them.
                Staying on topic with the PSP universe is the Samson I've seen there the same as the one DH is doing? Has the character fallen into public domain or are they different?

Comment

Those others are on my radar. Glad you named them cause Meet the Bad Guys wasn't on my radar, it is now.
                  Meet the Bad Guys wasn't bad, but I feel it was the weakest of the PSP line thus far. It certainly doesn't help that there's been no follow-up with any of the new villains introduced in that series.

Comment

Staying on topic with the PSP universe is the Samson I've seen there the same as the one DH is doing? Has the character fallen into public domain or are they different?
                    They are different characters. The Samson that Dynamite is using is in public domain. He was originally published by Fox Features in Fantastic Comics. I think the DH one is Mighty Samson originally from gold Key/Dell and still under copyright.
                    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                      They are different characters. The Samson that Dynamite is using is in public domain. He was originally published by Fox Features in Fantastic Comics. I think the DH one is Mighty Samson originally from gold Key/Dell and still under copyright.
                      I think Erik Larsen did an issue of Fantastic Comics that starred the Fox Features Samson...which as Ghornet said is the what the Dynamite version is based on.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiclo View Post
                        That line of books suffers from delays the likes of which not even Dynamite has seen.
                        I agree but I have been enjoying superhero books outside of the Big Two whether they are from Dynamite, Dark Horse , Boom! or Atlas. I think Image & IDW are the only companies that do superheroes that I don't buy anything from at this time...
                        Last edited by md62; 03-17-2011, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I agree but I have been enjoying superhero books outside of the Big Two whether they are from Dynamite, Dark Horse , Boom! or Atlas. I think Image & IDW are the only companies that do superheroes that I don't buy anything from at this time...
                          One of the focuses of my comic collection is defunct publishers or dead universes. I have almost a full run of the original Atlas comics (just missing Vicki 1 to 4 and the magazines). 2011 is looking good for guys like me on the new comic front with relaunches like Atlas, the Dark Horse/Gold Key line and the Marvel Cross Gen reboot.

Except it is not. The Dark Horse Gold Key line is suffering from horrible publishing delays. I see a Cross Gen reboot and remember the abandoned New Universe(-al) reboot of a couple of years ago. And then Atlas got off on a really bad foot. Wulf #1 read like an Image book and I felt like it was just setting up the Great Atlas Crossover, a crossover nobody wanted or was asking for, first thing out of the gate. Grim Ghost 1 was a little less Image-y but it didn't really grab me. I hope Phoenix is as good as the cover art looks.

Comment

To chiclo:

I understand your frustration. I feel it too. Every company I buy from is doing something that pisses me off. They are not attracting new readers & they are turning off loyal readers like myself. For example in the last two years (despite prices rising) I have cut my spending from $65/month to $45/month. If I give up on new comics altogether I will put my money into getting more DC Showcase Presents & Marvel Essentials (which I get as gifts from my family).

Comment

You can't win for losing. The Big Two have all sorts of editorial mandates and corporate restrictions that prevents the creators from having more freedom with the characters, whereas small companies have freedom but because of smaller budgets often run into delays.

Comment

Working...
                              X