No announcement yet.

What's With The Lack of Communication?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's With The Lack of Communication?

This should probably go in the Project Superpowers forums but it's about dead so I thought I'd bring it here where there's more traffic.

Anyhow, PS: Chapter 3 was supposed to come out ages ago as well as other minis, Ghost specifically, and we were told once that it was pushed back but since then it's been zip. People have been asking for updates over in the PS forums and so far nothing in the slightest. No updates in other media or websites, nothing.

Is Project Superpowers officially finished or is there something else going on?

I was patient for quite a while, then I grew frustrated, and now I just shake my head at the unprofessionalist approach on this. I, and others like me, loved that line and followed every issue eagerly. The least we can get for the support is some small update. It makes me not want to bother with any other Dynamite property and I don't want to feel that way.

Can we PLEASE get an update?!!!

Unproffesional

Once Last Phantom ends I'll be down to 1 Dynamite title. It use to be a lot more. It just seems that with each new license that they lose intrest in older ones. They looked good in the begining but now . . . ? i might check out the Shadow book and the next Phantom book, but that's a big might. I understand canceling a book because of low sales, but in this day in age with these forums and at least 2 comic news sites it is so easy to communicate with readers. There is no excuse for 'no news' unless you got with the song by Lonestar.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

I can only speculate; and there is the rub - without news, fans of whichever books which are delayed or on apparent hiatus have nothing left to do but speculate.

It then comes down to interpretation. For my own part I interpret DE's actions in the arena of licensed comics as being a determination to exploit whichever is the latest 'big splash' for them rather than developing existing materiel that has no licensing costs. It may be a version of the truth or wide of the mark; but as noted, speculation is all any of us really have.

I cannot see that the problem is about restructuring the PSU - that could have been done within the 13-14 (?) months+ time frame since the last issue (the X-Mas special), and we look further back to the end of Chapter Two. Speculation.

I look at Alex Ross, and right now he is committed to providing a lot of covers to a lot of other DE books; maybe he is at his limit and maybe they (DE) see him as integral to the release of any future PSU books. All speculation of course.

Maybe DE just don't see the PSU as profitable and/or important enough in their publishing structure (despite that first #0 selling 113 K copies right?)? More speculation.

In the absence of information, ifs, buts and maybes are all we have, and there is little positive spin to put on it that I can see, even if all the negative speculation is erroneous.

Comment

President/Publisher

Hi Jewish Hobbit, Green Hornet 2 and Leonmallett,

The passion that you have for Project Superpowers is great, and appreciated. There's a few quick things that have been going on. I apologize that we've not responded to this previously, or on a thread you may have read. The thing about Project Superpowers is that sales had dropped, and we have been speaking with higher profile creators to relaunch to bring more attention to the series and to increase sales. There's one thing that fans should know. We always want to continue to publish series. We dislike stopping and restarting. If you look at some of our series, Red Sonja, The Boys, Warlord of Mars, and even new series that have expanded like Jennifer Blood and Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris, those continue. We just need enough readers on each series to keep it going. We do not lose interest, believe me. We love the characters, all of the characters we publish, or we would not be publishing them. It's easy enough to believe that we just move on to the next hot license, but that's not true in many ways. First off, we don't know what's going to be hot. We publish the characters we love and try and make each series as successful as possible. And we've had losers. I won't name names, but it can begin with an "H" and may end with an "R", and there can only be one like that. :-)

But seriously, we only publish characters we love, and when we launch, we don't know if it's going to succeed, fail, or somewhere in between. We have a feeling, we have a hope, we push as much as possible, but we don't know. And when a series is not working, we do have to figure out a way to work with creators to figure out how to make it work for a larger audience of fans.

There are many series that we've had to refigure how to make them work. And there are series that take a long time to come together.

Project Superpowers will hopefully launch this year. We need to get the right creator who will not only tell a good story but who can bring in the largest audience possible.

I hope that the above helps.

I'll try and make myself more available for the message boards. We juggle a lot here, so it's hard, but will do so whenever possible.

best!

Nick

Comment

So the official word is that it's on foreseeable hiatus until the right writer is found... hopefully this year.

It's better than nothing, I'll take it.

Thank you, sir.

If you don't mind my asking, wasn't the Ghost mini already finished or close to it, at least the writing of it? Why not push to release that to appease PSP fans? Or was that a rumor?

Comment

And while we're on that subject, while I understand that Mr B was referring to ongoings when he said the company didn't like to start and stop, I'm personally perfectly happy with the series-of-mini-series format.

I'm probably in the minority. I hear a lot of people saying they hate the whole "writing for the trade" method within an ongoing and some might find this similar. Doesn't bother me, especially if it helps get the books out on time. And I think it's hardly a reach to suggest that the inability to do this has been a major reason why sales have dropped in the first place.

Disclaimer: I say this having no idea whether minis sell less historically, or what.

Comment

With the exception of a couple of Star Wars titles, Dark Horse seems to live and die by the miniseries, and it seems like it's working for them. I don't see a problem with it. Timing is everything of course. I wouldn't be a bad idea to have the trade paperback collection of the previous miniseries ship the same week as the first issue of the next miniseries.

Putting guys like Garth Ennis and David Liss on The Shadow and The Spider seems like a good idea, so maybe PSP could benefit by having a name writer attached.

I'm still scratching my head over what begins with an H and ends with an R.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                I'm still scratching my head over what begins with an H and ends with an R.
                Hamster. He must have meant the Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters.

No, seriously, it's also important to note that there can be oonly one of those...

Comment

Thread moved to it's appropriate location.
                  Dynamite Entertainment
                  Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                    Hamster. He must have meant the Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters.

No, seriously, it's also important to note that there can be oonly one of those...
                    Hamsters - bourne to be kings. Perhaps even Princes of the Universe.

Comment

Like the commercials, but hate those boxy little cars.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
                        We always want to continue to publish series. We dislike stopping and restarting.
                        Good news, you've avoided this top ten!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/10-f...-120119-1.html

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                          Good news, you've avoided this top ten!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/10-f...-120119-1.html

Well, let's just say it's a lucky thing Dynamite doesn't publish any properties owned by Marvel or DC. Whew, dodged a bullet there.
                          Dynamite has relaunched a lot properties previously published by other companies, though I don't think any of them would qualify for this list, since 4 relaunches seemed to be the minimum number required to make the list. Warlord of Mars or Lord of the Jungle might qualify, (if we're not treating public domain properties any different than licensed properties), although no licensed properties appeared on Newsarama's list either (surely Star Trek would win?) Other than that, I think only Vampirella would qualify. If miniseries qualified, then Dark Horse should win easily with its multiple Star Wars, Hellboy and B.P.R.D. miniseries. Maybe they should just give an award to the comic book character or team published by the largest number of different publishers. Surely Tarzan would win hands down. It's been published by Dell, Gold Key, Charlton, DC, Marvel, Malibu, and Dark Horse. And Dynamite if you count Lord of the Jungle.
                          Last edited by positronic; 01-21-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Glad to get an update one way or another.

It sucks that it seems PSP was simply not popular enough to keep going. I'd like to say that Dynamite should be patient though as these are unfamiliar characters to a lot of readers and I know many people like myself who discovered PSP late. It wasn't until just before the final issue of the Black Terror series was released that I purchased anything from the PSP Universe.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                              Well, let's just say it's a lucky thing Dynamite doesn't publish any properties owned by Marvel or DC. Whew, dodged a bullet there.
                              Dynamite has relaunched a lot properties previously published by other companies, though I don't think any of them would qualify for this list, since 4 relaunches seemed to be the minimum number required to make the list. Warlord of Mars or Lord of the Jungle might qualify, (if we're not treating public domain properties any different than licensed properties), although no licensed properties appeared on Newsarama's list either (surely Star Trek would win?) Other than that, I think only Vampirella would qualify. If miniseries qualified, then Dark Horse should win easily with its multiple Star Wars, Hellboy and B.P.R.D. miniseries. Maybe they should just give an award to the comic book character or team published by the largest number of different publishers. Surely Tarzan would win hands down. It's been published by Dell, Gold Key, Charlton, DC, Marvel, Malibu, and Dark Horse. And Dynamite if you count Lord of the Jungle.
                              How about the Phantom? Anyone here an authority on how often he's been published? 'Cause yes, the list would be far different (and probably more interesting) had it included characters handled by multiple publishers.

Not counting limited series, since there's no intention of continuing them in the first place, DC and Marvel could have several more "tied for tenth". Nova and Moon Knight come to mind and the JLA is at least on its fourth book, right? Not counting the Europe/International versions? For that matter, even not counting variations, how often have the Avengers being "stopped and go'ed"? X-Men?

It just seems to be the way it is now. Question to all: Do you think any of the new DC books will reach issue #100?

Comment

Working...
                              X