• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirby Genesis #8

Any news on the release date?

Peace,

Mont

Issue #7 just came out 2 weeks ago so I'd assume probably another 2-3 weeks before we see this hit stands.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I would guess first week in June, possibly last week of May. Number 7 came out last week or the week before.

It's bittersweet, I want issue 8 so bad because I want to read it.....but I'm not ready to let the book go. We still have the solo books for a short period though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReader View Post
        I would guess first week in June, possibly last week of May. Number 7 came out last week or the week before.

It's bittersweet, I want issue 8 so bad because I want to read it.....but I'm not ready to let the book go. We still have the solo books for a short period though.
        Agreed! KG 1-8 should be collected in TPB.

Peace,

Mont

Comment

Originally posted by Kimoyo View Post
          Agreed! KG 1-8 should be collected in TPB.

Peace,

Mont
          Solicited for August I think.

# 8 should be out on the 6th since there was an extra Wednesday in May.

Comment

I guess I was wrong. No solicit for Kirby Genesis #8 for this week on CBR. Disappointing yet again.

I took the time to re-read all the issues thus far this past weekend and it really enhanced the story for me. Given all the delays, I had forgotten small bits of story that seem really important as of issue #7. Delays trully kill all momentum a book has.

This series had a chance to be great...Great writing from Ross and Busiek, great art, and a different concept from a lot of other stuff out there...too bad...And it's not just the main series...No word on Dragonsbane for months, Captain Victory has come to a halt and no one knows if Silver Star is done or finishing out its initial run.

At least Project Superpowers was on-time every month.

Comment

Great book but agreed the pace may have hurt it? Yet it was mentioned that the sales weren't bad? Once my schedule clears I think I will start re-reading from the beginning. Maybe by the time I finish #8 will have come out?

Peace,

Mont

Comment

Now I may just buy the last issue for the sake of completing the set, and wait until August to get the trade collection and read the whole thing.

Hope this "starts with a bang, ends with a fizzle" thing (saleswise, not storywise) doesn't apply to The Shadow and The Spider. It does give me pause to think about waiting on new DE series launches from now on until the trade collection is released.
                Last edited by positronic; 06-06-2012, 12:20 AM.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by BugsySig View Post
                  Delays trully kill all momentum a book has.

This series had a chance to be great...Great writing from Ross and Busiek, great art, and a different concept from a lot of other stuff out there...too bad...And it's not just the main series...No word on Dragonsbane for months, Captain Victory has come to a halt and no one knows if Silver Star is done or finishing out its initial run.
                  I got thrown off and missed buying 6 before buying 7. I don't even know if I'm going to bother with 8.

If there was one series that I thought would be remotely reliable in terms of scheduling at the time it was this one. Some have critisized over a lack of promotion, but to me it felt like it got all kinds. And sure enough, Dynamite fumbles it then continues to keep us in the dark. Nothing changes, nothing improves.

At least Project Superpowers was on-time every month.
                  Are you being sarcastic?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                    I got thrown off and missed buying 6 before buying 7. I don't even know if I'm going to bother with 8.

If there was one series that I thought would be remotely reliable in terms of scheduling at the time it was this one. Some have critisized over a lack of promotion, but to me it felt like it got all kinds. And sure enough, Dynamite fumbles it then continues to keep us in the dark. Nothing changes, nothing improves.

Are you being sarcastic?
                    Yes and no. The original (Vol 1) was on time every month as far as I remember. The follow up volumes and spinoffs, not so much.

Comment

Yes and no. The original (Vol 1) was on time every month as far as I remember. The follow up volumes and spinoffs, not so much.

I am pretty certain PS Chapter 1 saw delays before the end.

Comment

FINALLY!!!

It's here, at last! Now I have to re-read them all in sequence, but I'm glad to
                        have the whole story! Visually stunning, engagingly written, can't wait to take
                        it all in at once!

Peace,

Mont

Comment

I too read Genesis #1 through issue 8 all in a row the other day and it was great to see so many things come in and tie together. Man, what a universe! I look forward to the second chapter, whenever that may be.

I loved issue 8 and all the great stuff that happened, I will miss CV, SS, and the rest of the Genesis gang.

Comment

If anything, I'm left with a feeling even more frustrating than PSP. After a mega-event/origin story that basically lays down the foundations for a whole new universe of fascinating characters to continue out of, it appears we won't be seeing that universe after all. Proving (again along with PSP) that it isn't so easy to brainstorm a successful superhero universe into existence in one fell swoop. Most of the great comic book universes took years to evolve, and did it by slowly creating connections between multiple ongoing titles. That kind of depth and texture rarely comes from a single ongoing title. A couple of things, like Judge Dredd or Nexus come to mind, with richly filled-out background universes, but again it took years to achieve that kind of depth of detail.

It's great to have a grand scheme, even a series bible to work from, but I think the lack of overwhelming sales on KG and PSP proves that its hard to throw out a few dozen new characters and get the general comic book reading public to embrace them. Lee & Kirby didn't toss the Fantastic Four, the Inhumans, the Silver Surfer, the Mole Man, the Sub-Mariner, Doctor Doom, Galactus, the Kree, the Skrulls, Rama Tut, and 2 dozen other new characters into the first 8 issues of FANTASTIC FOUR. That took time to develop.

Some long-time comic book readers can deal with a huge cast. Takes most people a while to acclimate to new characters though. I'm betting most of the fans of KG and PSP went into this already sold on the idea of either Kirby-created characters or revived Golden Age characters. On the other hand, for the casual, non-presold reader, it's a question of "why should I care?", and if it seems like too much work to sort out all these new characters, it's a turn-off. I've noticed, for example, this is a huge hindrance to sales on comics like DC's LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES. Even though they've been around for decades, the sheer number of characters involved is like poison to some potential readers, and that never changes no matter how often they've been rebooted. Of course, that's also the main attraction for its hardcore fans. It's sometimes hard to remember that the Legion started out with a mere three members (plus Superboy) and didn't even have its own ongoing comic.

Of course, even though LSH is one of DC's lower-selling titles, in DE terms Kirby Genesis would have been a solid sales success with those kind of numbers. It's all relative, I guess.
                            Last edited by positronic; 07-14-2012, 10:57 AM.
                            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

The fact that Genesis was suupposed to be 8 issues to lead into a slew of books and projects for many of these characters and issue 8 came out almost at the very end of this universes existance annoys me greatly. I LOVED this line of books, heck I even loved it more than Project Superpowers, but to see it faulter and fall apart after 1 year is disturbing and absolutely unacceptible. If Dynamite doesn't revisit it in 2013 as promised I may stop supporting the other 4 books of theirs I follow (GH, The Shadow, Spider, Warlord of Mars) in protest.

But yeah, I loved issue #8 of Genesis and felt that it tied everything together nicely, and the art was just fantastic. I will NEVER fault this book for being bad, its been terrific.

Comment

Working...
                              X