Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After seeing the Avengers in theatres - Don't you wish they did a Project Superpowers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After seeing the Avengers in theatres - Don't you wish they did a Project Superpowers

After seeing the Avengers in theatres - Don't you wish they did a Project Superpowers movie :-)

And like the Avengers did first

solos could come first

- Death-Defying Devil
    - Green Lama

- Black Terror

followed by

- Project Superpowers

A guy can always dream :-)

My page still up there somewhere ->
    http://heroescomics.9f.com/project_superpowers.htm
    Last edited by Renaud; 05-31-2012, 12:37 AM.

But after they spent all the budget on re-designing all of their costumes so that they looked nothing like their comic book counterparts, would there be any money left over to make a movie?
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      But after they spent all the budget on re-designing all of their costumes so that they looked nothing like their comic book counterparts, would there be any money left over to make a movie?
      Most comic book fans are not complaining about the film,

and Alex Ross' Project Superpowers designs already look very cinematic

Not much budget needed to change much of anything

All such movies need is the courage to put up serious production money

The Avengers:
      Production Budget: $220 million

Box-Office:

Domestic: $529,688,996 (40.4%)
      + Foreign: $781,900,000 (59.6%)
      = Worldwide: $1,311,588,996

As someone once said, "Build It And They Will Come"

Comment

Well, The Avengers had what, 7 characters (including Nick Fury) to costume, whereas Project Superpowers has something like 30 or more. Funny thing about Alex Ross, he can make anything look "cinematic", including all the Marvel and DC characters he's painted over the years. Somehow it doesn't stop the movie people from re-designing their costumes to "make them look less dorky".
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud View Post
          Most comic book fans are not complaining about the film,

and Alex Ross' Project Superpowers designs already look very cinematic

Not much budget needed to change much of anything

All such movies need is the courage to put up serious production money

The Avengers:
          Production Budget: $220 million

Box-Office:

Domestic: $529,688,996 (40.4%)
          + Foreign: $781,900,000 (59.6%)
          = Worldwide: $1,311,588,996

As someone once said, "Build It And They Will Come"
          Just for general awareness of characters alone PSU is a much harder sell than Avengers with its preceding movies, numerous TV series/animated series featuring pretty much the whole main cast either as stars or guest stars, and video games such as Marvel vs. Capcom. The comics have not driven that mainstream recognition really. A closer match may be something like Watchmen.

All super-hero films do not make mega-money. Look at the returns on films like Spawn, Ghost Riders, Punisher, Kick Ass etc. over the years. Even the Fantastic Four franchise stalled because even though the second film was profitable, it did not make as much as anticipated.

Comment

Well, they wouldn't be able to use all 30+ Project Superpowers characters obviously, that would make a 2-3 hour movie too jumbled and jumpy. But if they selected 5-7 heroes and 1 or 2 villains to costume up I believe it could work if they had good money to spend on it, which I'm sure they wouldn't lol. I just want the damn comics back....
            Dynamite Entertainment
            Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

If they had to break it down to 7 heroes who should they use? My picks are as follows:
              Fighting Yank (pity he is such a major role since he is one of the less interesting characters)
              Black Terror (Christian Bale could handle this part)
              Green Lama
              Devil (played by Ray Park who is great at the silent ninja types)
              Masquerade (played by Olivia Wilde)
              Scarab (his connection to the villains in revealed at the end)
              For the last hero I would like either Flame or Pyroman because they have cool powers but I think it would probably have to be what's his name. . . the plague guy.

Main villain would Dynamic Man
              The Frankenstein Troops and Crusaders would be there as cannon fodder

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                Cap and Hawkeye were the only major redesigns. The others were no or less tweeks. The color of Hulks pants, Widows bracelets, etc. and Iron Man and Thor weren't all that different. Sure Loki was a major change but does anybody think his outfit would have worked?
                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

I don't get the complaints about costumes. It's not like costumes never change in the comics anyway. Besides the movie versions usually look more tactical anyway, like something someone might actually wear.

Sure there have been some bad ones (Batman and Robin) but Captain Americas new designs were awesome as were the Iron Man designs (they look like armor not red and gold spandex).

Bringing it back to Dynamite, I think the Phantom 2010 costume is infinitely better than the 1996 version which kept the purple spandex. What works on the page does not always work on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                    Cap and Hawkeye were the only major redesigns. The others were no or less tweeks. The color of Hulks pants, Widows bracelets, etc. and Iron Man and Thor weren't all that different. Sure Loki was a major change but does anybody think his outfit would have worked?
                    Well, I suppose it depends on what you're using as a basis for redesign. What I really wanted and didn't get was an Avengers movie based on the Marvel Earth-616 Universe, not the Ultimate Marvel Universe. The fact that I pretty well hate the Ultimate universe really affected my potential enjoyment of that film. Iron Man and Hulk were mostly OK, wasn't thrilled with any of the other characters (thought Hawkeye was completely wasted). It had its moments, but overall I gave it 3.5 out of 5 stars. Not that they're making these things for people like me.
                    Last edited by positronic; 06-04-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BatHobbit View Post
                      If they had to break it down to 7 heroes who should they use? My picks are as follows:
                      Fighting Yank (pity he is such a major role since he is one of the less interesting characters)
                      Black Terror (Christian Bale could handle this part)
                      Green Lama
                      Devil (played by Ray Park who is great at the silent ninja types)
                      Masquerade (played by Olivia Wilde)
                      Scarab (his connection to the villains in revealed at the end)
                      For the last hero I would like either Flame or Pyroman because they have cool powers but I think it would probably have to be what's his name. . . the plague guy.

Main villain would Dynamic Man
                      The Frankenstein Troops and Crusaders would be there as cannon fodder
                      If a Project Superpowers major film was ever made, I guess the main superheroes it would focus on would be

- Green Lama
                      - Death Defying Devil
                      - Black Terror
                      - Fighting Yank

Along with supporting additional characters like

- Scarab
                      - Pyroman
                      - Masquerade
                      - The Flame
                      - Cat-Man
                      - Samson

With very few sidekicks

Comment

I'd move Masquerade up the majors on that list.

Comment

Don't forget the villains. There are a ton of them as well: The Supremacy, The Claw, the Dynamic Family, President Power, Zeus. And that's not counting all of the minor ones.

Comment

Project: SuperPowers as a Movie

Yes, -- after seeing THE AVENGERS in the theatres, I would love to see these Golden Age Heroes on the screen. Especially if they are handled right.

The INCREDIBLES was a great movie, too. So, if THE PROJECT wasn't done in "live-action" --- I'd settle for an animated version if it was as good as The Incredibles.!!

QUALITY ANIMATION or quality "live-action".... as long as we can see these GREAT GOLDEN AGE HEROES in action again.!!

Comment

Working...
                            X