Best and Worst of Project Superpowers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and Worst of Project Superpowers

What were some of the moments that you thought were the best or the worst of PSP?

One of my favorite moments was the introduction of The Revolutionary. He's a character right up my alley. I loved when Green Lama made his new "Shangri-La" and when he confronted the Supremacy. Big fan of The Black Terror and I absolutely loved when he got his pirate ship and when the ship fired it's cannons I said... "Hell Yeah!!!"

I'll think of some more things later but I'd love to hear what you guys enjoyed and disliked most from the series.

So many good moments for me, not so many bad ones at all. One of my favorite ones was the introduction of Man-Cat, who I've always felt could be a breakout star within the Superpowers universe and he kind of had the "it" look that could/would attract viewers. I also loved seeing Ghost show up, another character with an amazing look that could really draw in some readers if he had the right creative team....

I need to re-read everything again soon, I'm having a hard time remembering it all.

Comment

The Best Moments: When it was being published.

The Worst Moments: Everything since Feb 2011 (Black Terror #14).
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        The Best Moments: When it was being published.

The Worst Moments: Everything since Feb 2011 (Black Terror #14).
        I rather enjoyed when Parrot showed up to 'torment' Black Terror. but yeah everything since 2/11!
        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Or maybe I should have said everything AFTER Black Terror #14... certainly not intending to include BT14 as a "worst moment". Unless you include getting to the end with no next issue coming. I really liked The Parrot and wished we'd gotten to see more of her.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I want a Lady Satan series. Think I'll ever get that? I really liked the short but cool formation of the Sisters Scarlett - Lady Satan, Masquerade, and Woman in Red.

Truth and Dare is a great new pair and hopefully they find a way to get Truth back. Either way I want to see Dare put some skills on display.

Going into PSP I did not like the Boy King's name or look at all but he turned out to be all right. Also I like Samson much more than other comparable characters such as Thor or Hercules.

Comment

Maybe PSP just had too many characters and too much going on for the average comic book reader. Any number of these characters are ripe with potential for solo series (or miniseries), however. Heading that list would be Green Lama and Samson, but there are at least a half-dozen others that could be similarly developed.

Comment

Hmm... some of the best moments:

1) The American Spirit shows itself for the first time.

I honestly had no interest in this series and knew next to nothing about it. A few issues were already out and on a whim I picked up the zero issue of volume one and the image of the American Flag as a character just blew me away. That alone led me to get caught up and it pulled me in.

2) Samson issue of Bring On the Bad Guys.

A big pet peeve of mine is how poorly comics typically show Christianity. Samson being a character made me cautious for this reason but that one issue reinforced my opinion that it can be done well. He turned into one of my favorite PSP characters at that moment.

3) Kid Dynamite's last stand against Zeus!

Or was it Dynamite Kid? Either way, that was just a great scene.

4) The Black Terror series.

I honestly had little hopes for this series but it turned out to be a fantastic read beginning to end. I'd love to see it back.

Some of the WORST moments:

1) Odd continuity in PSP Chapter 2 and Black Terror's 2nd arc.

Black Terror leaves to deal with the Crusaders in PSP, deals with them in the second arc of his main ongoing, and then returns to the main mini. The problem is that in his ongoing he takes out ALL of the Crusaders and helps create the new Crusader. Then he returns in the main mini... fighting more Crusaders??? At first I just took this as taking place DURING the arc in his ongoing but he never leaves the mini after that point and the new Crusader later shows up... meaning his entrance against the Crusaders is a continuity error. That's the biggest thing that bugs me.

Honestly, it's the only thing that bugs me. The only other thing that KINDA gets to me is how badly Yank was shown to be injured toward the end of PSP Chapter 1 before dying. He walked around for quite some time with his full chest cavity exposed. That just felt wierd. He should have died well before that.

Comment

2) Pretty sure Samson is Jewish, not Christian. Strictly Old Testament, y'know. I'm a little fuzzy on this, as they didn't really touch on much of his background. The Golden Age character published by Fox Features was supposed to be "the direct descendant" of the original Samson, but I sure got the impression that PSP was treating the character as if he was the original Old Testament hero. If that's the case, seems unlikely he'd be a Christian, having been born hundreds of years before Christ. It's possible he converted in the long stretch since, but I don't recall any reference to it in the story. But agreed he was one of the standout characters and I would have liked to see much more of him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Samson_comic_page.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	48610

3) Dynamic Boy, actually. Posing as Kid Terror.
                  Last edited by positronic; 06-12-2012, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishX View Post
                    What were some of the moments that you thought were the best or the worst of PSP?
                    What a great question!

From my sig line, you know I love the start of Chapter One--there was something about the Yank's regret being the motivating force behind Chapter One that drew me in. The longer I live the more I agree: it is not the years that weigh you down--it is the regrets that you accumulate over those years.

I loved the Black Terror-American Crusader storyline ("I heard you the first time") and the Lincoln-eque cover of BT #5 is a classic.

And I adored the X-Mas Carol--perhaps because I wasn't expecting anything much from it, and it turned out to be a great storyline.

Those are the top hits. I love pretty much everything about PSP, but those are the top moments.

Things that I did not like:

A few continuity issues. Like Masquerade's powers. At times, she takes over a person and you have to put her mask ON that person to release her. At other times, she takes over a person by putting her mask on them, and you release her by taking it off. To be fair, I think this was a problem with different writers writing the character and not all being on the same page. Within PSP Proper, I think she was consistent.

And then there is American Spirit. At the end of Chapter One, he tells Yank that he will see him again when one of their members dies. This was clearly meant to be a set up for something, but there has been no pay off. Truth died, but neither the Fighting Yank nor the American Spirit was there. The American Spirit shows up (and interacts with Yank) in X-Mas Carol and in the Revolutionary story--but nobody dies. And, considering the revelations of Chapter Two, it is not clear that any of the Yank's group can ever die. So what was the comment in Chapter One supposed to foreshadow???

But these are minor quibbles. My biggest dislike is the character of Bloodlust. For two reasons. First, her motivation for wanting to kill the Green Lama is crap. She wants to kill him because her grandfather, Tsarong, was killed by somebody else? And she considers that a sufficient excuse to slaughter complete innocents? Really? She babbles about Tsarong being "taken" from his family because he was in service to the Lama--hell, my employer keeps me from my family all the time, but I don't think my grandkids should go on a killing spree because of it. In short, her motivation is crap.

And the other annoyance is that she is so trite a villain. The Lama is a contemplative, peaceful man. So let's make his arch-enemy the complete opposite: an angry, violent woman. Boy, that took a lot of thought! That must have taken at least three seconds to think out. Oh, and he's green, so lets give her a red color scheme. That takes two more seconds of thought. What I like about PSP is that usually there is a lot of thought and plotting put into the characters and stories, but Bloodlust shows no creativity at all.

And, finally, the end of the story (when the Green Lama restores life to the roomful of people that Bloodlust killed) raises the obvious (but unasked) question--if he can do that, why the heck didn't he just restore Tsarong to life? So, yes, that whole issue is my least favorite issue in all the PSP lines.

Comment

Meet The Bad Guys seemed to be a conscious attempt to "modernize" the PSP universe by injecting a lot of original new characters. Except for the Samson and Scarab issues (which was the most in-depth look at those characters that we'd gotten at that point), it's probably my least favorite of the various PSP series.

Comment

I mentioned it at the time, but I didn't like the aspect of the characters now being immortal and replicas (for lack of a better term) of mythological beings. I know it meshes with the Pandora's Box part of their return to the world, but...meh. I can't get into that.

It didn't bother me as I read it because I was hoping that as the story ended, it would be done away with, but that I recall, it wasn't.

Comment

I don't know that I'd agree that the PSP characters are mere copies of various specific mythological characters. Haven't superheroes always been the modern equivalent of mythology/folklore, with the same potential for immortality? Seems to me all this was doing was acknowledging that aspect within the context of the story itself. If they'd reduced the list of PSP players to a mere "this superhero=that mythological god" it might have bugged me, but I thought it was sufficiently vague enough to be non-intrusive. Should the series continue at some point in the future, that whole aspect could easily be de-emphasized with no loss to the plots or characters. In the end it seemed to me to be saying that if all these mythological characters no longer exist, their energy needs to pass on or take on a new form or aspect.
                          Last edited by positronic; 06-16-2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            I don't know that I'd agree that the PSP characters are mere copies of various specific mythological characters. Haven't superheroes always been the modern equivalent of mythology/folklore, with the same potential for immortality?
                            It's pretty much stated point blank. Not only are the characters said to be immortal throughout the second half of the story, some are actually referred to as their mythological counterpart.

Here's a quote from Green Lama: "I have come to believe that your time in the urn has you changed you all...turning you into truly mythical beings....I'm not longer sure if any of you can even be considered mortals anymore".

Yank: "The heroes' incarceration in Pandora's urn made them like you, Zeus....You can't kill them. Not anymore."

Lady Satan's eyes began to glow and she said to not call her by that name anymore but to "Call me Hades".
                            Dare looked at DDD's after he grew spikes all over his body and an eye on his forehead and called him "Sheitan". She later says she knows he is the great Satan in disguise.

So they didn't write out a full list of who represents who, but there's pretty strong evidence that those in the urn are now immortal incarnations of characters from mythology. I didn't think there was anything vague about it, or any indication that it would be temporary being that they talk about in the very last pages of issue 12. But if the story around volume three is based on doing away with that aspect, I welcome it enthusiastically.
                            Last edited by Captain Canuck; 06-24-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Sorry, where did it say that such-and-such a PSP character was the new incarnation of such-and-such a god or goddess of mythology? (Although I kinda like the sound of "Lady Hades", she's no more the actual Hades now than she was the actual Satan before.) They may now be more powerful than their original Golden Age selves, and may have stopped aging. So Green Lama has "come to believe" and is "no longer sure" etc. Neither Green Lama nor Fighting Yank is infallible; it may well be that the PSPs are immortal (so are a lot of Marvel and DC superheroes, at least functionally), but it's still left open to be proved or disproved. Even Marvel's Asgardian and Olympian gods and goddesses have been shown to die on occasion (at least for a period of time), despite being immortal.

The same can be said of the many comic book heroes who have died and come back to life. Metatextually, it seems to me to be commenting on the fact that superheroes will live on and be vital as long as their tales continue to be told, they are believed in, etc. They have become the living mythology of our time the same way the ancient pantheons were of their time. But the fact that the ancient myths can be replaced by new myths is proof that immortality is relative, after all.
                              Last edited by positronic; 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X