No announcement yet.

Best and Worst of Project Superpowers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol...suit yourself positronic. I must be reading too much into multiple characters stating that those who spent time in the urn are now immortal and seeing them actually coming back from the dead in-story, including Kid Terror who literally climbed out of his grave. Who's to say?

Comment

Well, you said you didn't like it. Just pointing out that nothing in comic books is incontrovertible or irreversible, despite appearances and whatever the current writer's intention is. As far as immortality is concerned, the old gods were "immortal" too, but if their time is now past, what exactly does immortality mean? If energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed, then that energy may just pass into different forms. To the extent that the PSPs already possessed some individual characteristics of some ancient gods or goddesses, those characteristics may be enhanced by their time in the urn. And as a group, the PSPs may represent a new "pantheon". Still not buying the one-to-one parallel correlation between old gods and PSPs. To use the examples you yourself point out, aren't Hades and Shaitan both Lords of the Underworld (from different pantheons), and thus would be different incarnations of each other?
      Last edited by positronic; 06-25-2012, 01:11 AM.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        2) Pretty sure Samson is Jewish, not Christian. Strictly Old Testament, y'know. I'm a little fuzzy on this, as they didn't really touch on much of his background. The Golden Age character published by Fox Features was supposed to be "the direct descendant" of the original Samson, but I sure got the impression that PSP was treating the character as if he was the original Old Testament hero. If that's the case, seems unlikely he'd be a Christian, having been born hundreds of years before Christ. It's possible he converted in the long stretch since, but I don't recall any reference to it in the story. But agreed he was one of the standout characters and I would have liked to see much more of him.

Christian's believe in the Old Testiment as well as it, in our belief, built and foreshadowed the events of the New Testiment. As a Christian I think of Christianity when I think of Samson, though he was before Christ's time. But mostly I was just refrencing the use of Biblical characters and teachings in modern comics being done poorly.

I get what you're saying though.

Comment

Best and Worst

I think some of the 'bEST" of Project Superpowers was:

1) The return of the Golden Age characters that many of us wanted to see back in action.
          2) The Alex Ross Covers and pictures of the Characters!!

Both were great.
          3) As was the return of the original DAREDEVIL, BLACK TERROR, MAGNO, and many of the other heroes.

Some of the worst:
          1) The way DAREDEVIL was handled. No Bart Hill DD. (Big Let down.)
          2) No return of the original BLUE BEETLE. (bIG LET DOWN.)
          3) The way many of the characters were handled. (Example: Kid Terror & Black Terror getting together.)
          /) The way The Claw was handled.
          4)The weak writing.
          5)The weaker editing... for direction.
          6) the weak art on several of the books.

Suggestions:
          7) If you could hire someone like Mark Waid or someone of the ilk, it could be better.

*8) Some one like Darwyn Cooke to do the 1940's adventures of these heroes ...and someone like Yanick Paquette to draw the modern day adventures. Would be nice.

Many of us fans want to see these Golden Age heroes come back:
          See: Mystery Men,
          Terra Obscura
          The love of the Golden Age Justice Society
          The Minute Men and the Before the Watchmen series.
          The Spider, The Shadow, Lobster Johnson, .....and others.

We love these guys. But you've got to give us good quality books or the fans will not stay.!!

Good luck in finding the right team to bring these guys back, Nick.
          And if you need an Assistant Editor .....i can be had for a small price.

....Bring back the SuperPowers Project!!!!!

9) PLEASE HIRE "EXPERIENCED" EDITORS AND WRITERS... AND EXCITING, EXPERIENCED ARTISTS. PLEASE MAKE PROJECT SUPERPOWERS "WORK". (Even if it means starting over!!)
          Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-07-2012, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Obviously there are problems with using the names Daredevil and Blue Beetle. Dan Garret was in there (PSP #0) as "Big Blue", but didn't get an expanded role. Must admit the whole thing about who or what the Death Defying Devil was confused the hell out of me.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Just trying to jazz up this web site.

Obviously there are problems with using the names Daredevil and Blue Beetle. Dan Garret was in there (PSP #0) as "Big Blue", but didn't get an expanded role. Must admit the whole thing about who or what the Death Defying Devil was confused the hell out of me.
              Yeah, DDD was a bit "confusing" ...but it was great to see Blue Beetle and Daredevil back on the comicbook page.

As far as the names,-- and someone can straighten me out on this--- as long as those names are NOT used on the covers, then it's permissable to use the name inside the book. Am I right?? Or am I wrong.??

Anyway, I would love to see Dan Garret return in his original Blue Beetle costume ...even if they call him
              "Big Blue"... but I prefer BLUE BEETLE. How can there be THE BIG THREE without Blue Beetle.???? You could call him THE BLUE SCARAB and scrap that other character.

And, I can't help but wonder why they didn't return Bart Hill as Daredevil. He's one of the big CLASSIC heroes that many of us wanted to see back in action --- instead of the "costume deal".

I think the same of THE CLAW. I'll have to re-read that issue but I think they should have stuck closer to the original origin.

I wonder if they could call them "The Original Golden Age Blue Beetle", and "The Original Golden Age Daredevil" on the cover.??

Copyright shouldn't be a problem if there is a clear distinction between the Golden Age heroes and the DC Blue Beetle and the Marvel Daredevil. I would think that as long as you didn't entitle the comic book either BLUE BEETLE or DAREDEVIL. (Come on, we fans can make the distinction between what Dynamite is doing and what the other companies are selling.)We're cool enough to tell the difference.

I still love the attempt at bringing back so many of the GOLDEN AGE HEROES and everyone involved needs a high-five.
              Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-08-2012, 03:03 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Dynamite can use the name "Daredevil" on the inside of the magazine, but if they do, then the character can't have his own self-titled comic book (or even have the name appear in big letters on the cover of a book with another title -- it's a trademark issue). Erik Larsen used the Golden Age Daredevil in Savage Dragon (and called him Daredevil).

Comment

Dynamite can use the name "Daredevil" on the inside of the magazine, but if they do, then the character can't have his own self-titled comic book (or even have the name appear in big letters on the cover of a book with another title -- it's a trademark issue). Erik Larsen used the Golden Age Daredevil in Savage Dragon (and called him Daredevil).
                  OK, I'm not exactly sure how that "trademark" thing works.

Could a book be entitled: THE ORIGINAL GOLDEN AGE DAREDEVIL!!
                  oR
                  THE ORIGINAL GOLDEN AGE BLUE BEETLE. Can you "trademark" .... Original, Golden Age???:
                  And in that way, distinquish the characters?? (Do we need a trademark, copyright lawyer here??)

And what did you think of the Writing?? And the Art, as long as we're discussing Best and Worst of the Project.

Did you guys read Terra Obscura?? Alan Moore developed his characters carefully...and brought us along in the story.

Project did NOT do as well in capturing the audience by hooking us to the characters and motivations going on.

To me, we were in an existential vaccuum most of the way thru --- with a lot of story and characterization to be frustrated about.

I'll say this again: You need an editor that knows where this is going ....an experienced writer that can tell the tale and bring the reader with you ....and an experienced artist that can tell the tale simply enough to move Golden Age heroes along (See: Yanick Paquette's work on Terra Obscura or Darwyn Cooke's Minute Men or the artwork on THE TWELVE.!! Experienced artists, simple lines, clear story-telling style. Tom Grummett also comes to mind as such an artist.)

Alex Ross knocked the socks off the covers....but the interior art and story were very frustrating for me to read or for me to appreciate much of the art. I would have quit the series early on had I not loved the concept of bringing back the Golden Age heroes and hoping that things would improve.

If Nick really is trying to find an editor, writer(s), and artist(s) to straighten out this mess, I would LOVE to have to wait a month or two more.

I'm looking forward to seeing the return of PAM's PETER CANNON....THUNDERBOLT!!!

How do you guys feel about what I'm saying.???
                  Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-07-2012, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Alan Moore didn't write Terra Obscura (or Terra Obscura 2). That was Peter Hogan. Moore did introduce the characters in issues of Tom Strong, though.

The trademark thing works exactly like it did with Marvel's Captain Marvel (trademarked), vs. DC's Shazam!, starring the Original Captain Marvel. Makes no difference who came first, it's who gets the trademark and keeps it in use. And no, you can't trademark "The Original, Golden Age Samenameasthetrademarkedguyman" any more than I can go out and trademark a comic book called "The Fantastic Spider-Man". Yes, some characters from competing companies have the same name and can be continued to be published (Sandman, Scarecrow, etc.) but only one can get the trademark.
                    Last edited by positronic; 07-08-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

continuity error

I mentioned earlier that my only complaint was a continuity error between Project Superpower Chapter 2 and the Black Terror ongoing regarding the Black Terror's quest against the American Crusaders.

Having just finished rereading through Chapter 2 I found another glarring error that really bugs me. I'm hoping maybe I just overlooked something but I don't think I did. In Chapter 1 Yank mentions that 'Devil nearly stopped him from sucking him into the urn and you saw the boomerang bloody (I think bloody) by the urn. Then later in Chapter 2 you learn that wasn't even close to what happened. Burt agreed to what Yank was saying and offered the suit (since that was where the power was) and left without any confrontation or argument. Did I miss something?!

That's really going to bug me now.

Comment

Why not some kind of progress report on PSP!!??

Originally posted by JewishHobbit View Post
                        I mentioned earlier that my only complaint was a continuity error between Project Superpower Chapter 2 and the Black Terror ongoing regarding the Black Terror's quest against the American Crusaders.

Having just finished rereading through Chapter 2 I found another glarring error that really bugs me. I'm hoping maybe I just overlooked something but I don't think I did. In Chapter 1 Yank mentions that 'Devil nearly stopped him from sucking him into the urn and you saw the boomerang bloody (I think bloody) by the urn. Then later in Chapter 2 you learn that wasn't even close to what happened. Burt agreed to what Yank was saying and offered the suit (since that was where the power was) and left without any confrontation or argument. Did I miss something?!

Good catch!! Yeah, Bart Hill just walked away from the whole deal with no blood spilled. There are a couple things that bother me more...but I'm with you. Big gaff.

Why won't Nick give us some progress report on the status of PSP??
                        Should we give up hope and just walk away ....or what.??
                        Some of you guys have stayed and kept the thing alive. Thanks for your efforts.
                        I'm here just to jazz up the site and hope Nick will reconsider doing something soon.

If I win the lottery, I'm going to have a long talk with Nick and Alex Ross.

Comment

Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                          Good catch!! Yeah, Bart Hill just walked away from the whole deal with no blood spilled. There are a couple things that bother me more...but I'm with you. Big gaff.

Why won't Nick give us some progress report on the status of PSP??
                          Should we give up hope and just walk away ....or what.??
                          Some of you guys have stayed and kept the thing alive. Thanks for your efforts.
                          I'm here just to jazz up the site and hope Nick will reconsider doing something soon.

If I win the lottery, I'm going to have a long talk with Nick and Alex Ross.
                          I know it's not much but Nick did say a while back that they were looking for the "right writer for the job" and to "stay tuned", so I guess even though that isn't much it's at least something. Still, we do deserve to know a bit more than that and hopefully good news isn't too far away.
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by JewishHobbit View Post

Yes, I noticed that at the time. I convinced myself that they had a bloody fight first and THEN Yank convinced Bart to just walk away. I know that that is lame, but I have been reading comics for decades and filling in continuity glitches is almost a habit. I am also a Doctor Who fan, so you know that I get a LOT of practice fixing continuity blunders.

Comment

Good corrections but may miss the point.

Alan Moore didn't write Terra Obscura (or Terra Obscura 2). That was Peter Hogan. Moore did introduce the characters in issues of Tom Strong, though.

The trademark thing works exactly like it did with Marvel's Captain Marvel (trademarked), vs. DC's Shazam!, starring the Original Captain Marvel. Makes no difference who came first, it's who gets the trademark and keeps it in use. And no, you can't trademark "The Original, Golden Age Samenameasthetrademarkedguyman" any more than I can go out and trademark a comic book called "The Fantastic Spider-Man". Yes, some characters from competing companies have the same name and can be continued to be published (Sandman, Scarecrow, etc.) but only one can get the trademark.
                              OK, Peter Hogan.
                              If he gave Doc and the others such character, then they could or should hire him. I think you're missing my points. Although I appreciate your corrections.

And, so no: THE ORIGINAL GOLDEN AGE DAREDEVIL!! oR... THE ORIGINAL GOLDEN AGE CAPTAIN MARVEL(who is now a woman). No The ORIGINAL GOLDEN AGE BLUE BEETLE. To use "The Original Golden Age..." whoever --has no bearing on trademark.

And differenciation has no bearing on title and character. OK.

Now, who out there can get Nick to get PSP started again??? That's what I want to know!!
                              Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-25-2012, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Twisted editions to make it work. Yes!!!

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                                Yes, I noticed that at the time. I convinced myself that they had a bloody fight first and THEN Yank convinced Bart to just walk away. I know that that is lame, but I have been reading comics for decades and filling in continuity glitches is almost a habit. I am also a Doctor Who fan, so you know that I get a LOT of practice fixing continuity blunders.
                                I love your spirit. "....convinced myself that they had a bloody fight first and THEN ....." You, good sir, are a great comicbook fan.
                                Thanks for helping me out on that one, too.

My two biggest problems were having all the heroes try and stop the dropping of the bomb that would end the War and save millions of lives....
                                and I can't remember the other one.

But I LOVED the concept of bringing back these WONDERFUL GOLDEN AGE HEROES, and the Alex Ross covers.

There are too many covers to name to say which were my favorites..... Alex did such a wonderful job. And the drawings of those pages of heroes I just went "Ga-Ga" over.

To see SIX of my favorite GOLDEN AGE heroes and villains back on the comicbook page just really blew me away.
                                1) DAREDEVIL....(Although it turned out not to be Bart Hill, ---big letdown.)
                                2) The GHOST
                                3) THE CLAW
                                4) SILVER STREAK
                                5) MAGNO and
                                6) DAVEY
                                7) THE CLOWN
                                8) BLACK TERROR
                                and a small handful of others that I had dreamed of returning ....for more than 50 years was thrilling.!!

Come on, Nick.
                                Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-22-2012, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X