Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best and Worst of Project Superpowers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    I know it's not much but Nick did say a while back that they were looking for the "right writer for the job" and to "stay tuned", so I guess even though that isn't much it's at least something. Still, we do deserve to know a bit more than that and hopefully good news isn't too far away.
    Yeah, thank you for that ray of hope.

    I wonder what's wrong with hiring this guy that's writing the pulp heroes team-up.???

    If Alex was so impressed with the script that he decided to paint the interiors.... I wonder why a "reteaming" of these two couldn't get PSP off the ground and flying again.??

    I would NOT even be against starting anew.

    Where's positron to shoot that idea down??

    Comment


    • #32
      Well, to be totally accurate, Alex Ross was announced as doing full interior artwork for the FIRST issue of Masks. Who's doing the interior artwork for the rest of the issues? We don't know, they haven't told us.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by positronic View Post
        Well, to be totally accurate, Alex Ross was announced as doing full interior artwork for the FIRST issue of Masks. Who's doing the interior artwork for the rest of the issues? We don't know, they haven't told us.
        Are you familiar with Chris Roberson's work?? I can't say I am.

        Comment


        • #34
          Yes, I am. He's written several things for DC -- Cinderella, House of Mystery, Jack of Fables, iZombie. He's also writing the current Elric: The Balance Lost series for BOOM! Studios and has also written the BOOM! Studios comic based on the hit Cartoon Network show, Adventure Time. He wrote the recent Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes miniseries for IDW. He's written some science fiction novels (never read those) and is into the whole steampunk/Wold Newton fiction/new pulp genre -- he is also the publisher of MonkeyBrain Books. Check out his Wikipedia page.

          As an editor, he assembled the New Pulp anthology Adventure:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	517VQ4W0CAL._SS500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	48624
          ...
          Last edited by positronic; 07-23-2012, 02:43 AM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

          Comment


          • #35
            Hmmm... Roberson a possible for PSP??

            Originally posted by positronic View Post
            Yes, I am. He's written several things for DC -- Cinderella, House of Mystery, Jack of Fables, iZombie. He's also writing the current Elric: The Balance Lost series for BOOM! Studios and has also written the BOOM! Studios comic based on the hit Cartoon Network show, Adventure Time. He wrote the recent Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes miniseries for IDW. He's written some science fiction novels (never read those) and is into the whole steampunk/Wold Newton fiction/new pulp genre -- he is also the publisher of MonkeyBrain Books. Check out his Wikipedia page.

            As an editor, he assembled the New Pulp anthology Adventure:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]469[/ATTACH]
            ...
            Sounds like he has "some experience" under his belt.
            Have you liked most of his stuff.??? That you've read??
            Wonder what Nick would think about hiring THIS guy to revive PSP??
            What do you think??

            (Alter-Ego #111 on sale, tomorrow. Black Terror and the boys...and girl ...on the cover. Just thought I'd mention it.)

            P.S. You are a storehouse of information, aren't you.!!!?? Hey, I'm impressed.


            What about Chuck Dixon?? He's writing for DE. He could write a group of the PSP.
            And he's familiar with the wheel of Time.
            Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-25-2012, 04:24 AM.

            Comment


            • #36
              I'll just say that the two things I'm most familiar with of his (Elric: TBL and Trek/LSH), for which I am the most well-informed and have some basis for comparison (being a reasonably serious fan of all of those things), have impressed me -- he knows his stuff, at least when it came to these characters. Having said that, if you're not familiar with Michael Moorcock's multiverse, The Balance Lost probably isn't the place to start, as it's a bit like Crisis on Infinite Earths for Moorcock's various series heroes.

              As far as Star Trek and the Legion, he stuck with the classic version of both (pre-Crisis LSH, but without Superboy). I guess what might seem like a natural team-up idea to some might not work for somebody else, but as a huge fan of both of those ensemble casts (post-CoIE, post- & pre-Levitz LSH, not so much) I felt like that was aimed right at me. He managed to work in all the right background references to episodes and characters while doing a time-travel/merged universes storyline that took advantage of both franchises' rich histories. Oddly timed after DC had just kicked off the New 52, this was like a blast from the past for me.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

              Comment


              • #37
                For me the best thing about Project Superpowers was the potential. It had a real shot at buidling a universe through the chapters and then releasing ongoings on the more popular characters and I think what hurt it was having a non-star writer even though he was damn good. But man, I still can't believe we're now 2 years removed with nothing on the horizon it seems.

                Comment


                • #38
                  A Writer for PSP?? Nick, where are we??

                  Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
                  For me the best thing about Project Superpowers was the potential. It had a real shot at buidling a universe through the chapters and then releasing ongoings on the more popular characters and I think what hurt it was having a non-star writer even though he was damn good. But man, I still can't believe we're now 2 years removed with nothing on the horizon it seems.
                  I agree with you about "the best thing about Project Superpowers was the potential".
                  The second best thing was having Alex Ross on the covers.

                  And I think that what hurt PSP was not having a "good" writer on the series. I disagree that it was "damn good."

                  It was hard to know who these heroes were, and what they were feeling and thinking. I always go back to TERRA OBSCURA and Peter Hogan's writing. We cared about the heroes, knew who they were,(basically) and the art hit a very strong note.

                  I still believe that an experienced writer could pull off bringing all these heroes back in an exciting story that wasn't accomplished in PSP.

                  I really hope Nick IS looking for a great writer and good artists to make PSP happen again.
                  I think there are a lot of people a little tired of DC and Marvel and are looking for something new and fresh.

                  This could, with the right talent, be the Universe for them.(Us.)

                  A slow building of this line of Golden Age heroes could establish itself and compete. But the QUALITY of writer and artist has to be there.

                  The "heroes" are there.!! The fan base is there, but now a little disenchanted over DE. I think they are waiting for quality art and story. (And, hopefully, Alex Ross stays on the covers.)

                  I think a lot of readers WANT to see these Golden Age heroes return. (Did you guys buy Alter-Ego #111 on Wednesday. What a treat for anyone who loves the Golden Age NEDOR Heroes!!)

                  Can Pos or anyone bring the cover over from Tomorrow publications??

                  BLACK TERROR, CAPTAIN FUTURE, FIGHTING YANK, GRIM REAPER, MISS MASQUE, and PYROMAN charging at the Nazi controlled Fortress Europe.!!
                  Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-28-2012, 05:48 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Is Nick talking to Chris Roberson about PSP?? Why not??

                    Originally posted by positronic View Post
                    I'll just say that the two things I'm most familiar with of his (Elric: TBL and Trek/LSH), for which I am the most well-informed and have some basis for comparison (being a reasonably serious fan of all of those things), have impressed me -- he knows his stuff, at least when it came to these characters. Having said that, if you're not familiar with Michael Moorcock's multiverse, The Balance Lost probably isn't the place to start, as it's a bit like Crisis on Infinite Earths for Moorcock's various series heroes.

                    As far as Star Trek and the Legion, he stuck with the classic version of both (pre-Crisis LSH, but without Superboy). I guess what might seem like a natural team-up idea to some might not work for somebody else, but as a huge fan of both of those ensemble casts (post-CoIE, post- & pre-Levitz LSH, not so much) I felt like that was aimed right at me. He managed to work in all the right background references to episodes and characters while doing a time-travel/merged universes storyline that took advantage of both franchises' rich histories. Oddly timed after DC had just kicked off the New 52, this was like a blast from the past for me.
                    He sounds pretty good to me, Positronic.
                    And even if he got Alex to do just one issue, he must have presented a pretty decent script.

                    Sounds very good to me.!!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                      Can Pos or anyone bring the cover over from Tomorrow publications??

                      BLACK TERROR, CAPTAIN FUTURE, FIGHTING YANK, GRIM REAPER, MISS MASQUE, and PYROMAN charging at the Nazi controlled Fortress Europe.!!
                      I was a little confused at first because I thought you meant Tomorrow Stories (which was an ABC/Wildstorm title, but didn't feature any of the Nedor heroes - that was Terra Obscura). Then I realized you meant the cover of the (just released) Alter Ego #111, published by TwoMorrows, and so-named because it's published by "two Morrows": John Morrow and his wife. (See, you learn stuff here.) I've tried, without success, to upload or link this cover several times (not sure what the problem is; I'm not on my usual laptop or my work PC), so I will provide you with a link to an online preview (you will need to have Adobe Flash Player installed to view):

                      http://issuu.com/twomorrows/docs/alterego111preview/1

                      or you can download a sample .pdf of the issue here:

                      http://www.twomorrows.com/media/AlterEgo111Preview.pdf
                      Last edited by positronic; 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Issue #111 of alter Ego is of interest to PSP fans because it was an index of the Nedor titles.
                        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	alter ego #111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	48633

                          Had to compress the original .jpg image (too big to upload).
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Niice job!! Exciting and informative magazine relevant to PSP!!

                            Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            [ATTACH]478[/ATTACH]

                            Had to compress the original .jpg image (too big to upload).
                            GREAT JOB!! Thank you.!!

                            Now any fan of PSP should "thrill" to see these heroes and this magazine that's full of information about "our" heroes.
                            I hope Roy does more issues like this on other Golden Age Hero "groups" ---giving us more of the same.

                            Nick, maybe Roy Thomas??
                            Last edited by magnoanddavey; 07-29-2012, 11:41 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Roy mentioned in the editorial to A/E 111 that there was more he hoped to squeeze into the issue that didn't make it because of time or space constraints. He's hoping to do a follow-up spotlight on the Nedor heroes in a future issue, and he put out a call for authoritative articles on same.

                              BTW, this issue is essentially an expanded reprint (with new material and lots of illustrations added) of Mike Nolan's original 1968 Nedor Comic Index. Earlier issues of A/E reprinted in expanded form Nolan's indexes to Timely Comics (#57) and MLJ (#82).
                              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by positronic View Post
                                [ATTACH]478[/ATTACH]

                                Had to compress the original .jpg image (too big to upload).
                                What a great cover! A homage to the original appearance of the Invaders isn't it?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X