No announcement yet.

Best and Worst of Project Superpowers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip o' the hat to Frank Robbins' cover for GIANT SIZE INVADERS #1.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Heroes that are being ignored?? I've got an idea or two!!

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      Roy mentioned in the editorial to A/E 111 that there was more he hoped to squeeze into the issue that didn't make it because of time or space constraints. He's hoping to do a follow-up spotlight on the Nedor heroes in a future issue, and he put out a call for authoritative articles on same.

BTW, this issue is essentially an expanded reprint (with new material and lots of illustrations added) of Mike Nolan's original 1968 Nedor Comic Index. Earlier issues of A/E reprinted in expanded form Nolan's indexes to Timely Comics (#57) and MLJ (#82).
      Wonder if we can get both/either of these by Nolan. I sure would like to buy them.
      And, if we can't, wonder if Roy would do more indexes of these and others.!!???
      Hope some of us e-mail Roy and thank him for #111 and ask if he would do more of these indexes.
      Nick, can't ya talk to Roy and see if he may want to write these heroes??

Boy, this is frustrating. DE sits on, what I think, is a Gold Mine of Golden Age super-heroes and won't publish books that feature them.

To me, the "play"(the spine of the classic story) would be to:

1) re-establish the heroes in a couple of issues set in the 1940's,

2) have an "incident" that puts them all in "deep-freeze", ----

3) and then, a story that re-establishes them in the present.

4) They team-up in their own groups, and develop from there.

These heroes have a REAL HISTORY that can and should be built upon.

They should be drawn by an artist like Tom Grummett, or "like" Yanick Paquette, or "like" Chris Sprouse, or Frank Quitely . Clean, well-defined art by an established artist.

And a writer "like" Pete Hogan who has done so well with TERRA OBSCURA!!

And an editor/writer like Roy Thomas who knows his way around The Golden Age.

Now if I could just win the lottery ---I would go to talk with Nick and Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
        Wonder if we can get both/either of these by Nolan. I sure would like to buy them.
        ???? What's stopping you? I GAVE you the issue #s. Whatta I gotta do, buy them for you and mail them to your house!??

twomorrows.com
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

???? What's stopping you? I GAVE you the issue #s. Whatta I gotta do, buy them for you and mail them to your house!??

twomorrows.com
          Oh, yea. Well, I'll check. Hey, I've got 'em. Geeeesh. Thanks for the reminder.
          I've got Roy's Alter-Ego since #3.... with Green Lantern and his foes on the mimeograph? pages.
          Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-01-2012, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Now if I could just win the lottery ---I would go to talk with Nick and Alex.
            Why? They don't OWN these characters. Given what you're proposing -- which sounds like, let's just forget the previous PSP stuff ever happened -- there's nothing stopping you, or DC, or AC (both of whom have used these characters in comics they've published) or Roy Thomas, or anyone else, from publishing their own comic stories featuring these public domain characters.

Now, getting it distributed may be another trick altogether, but there's various print-on-demand publishing services, or heck, you could just do it as a webcomic.
            Last edited by positronic; 08-01-2012, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Hey, putting a comic together isn't easy.

Why? They don't OWN these characters. Given what you're proposing -- which sounds like, let's just forget the previous PSP stuff ever happened -- there's nothing stopping you, or DC, or AC (both of whom have used these characters in comics they've published) or Roy Thomas, or anyone else, from publishing their own comic stories featuring these public domain characters.

Now, getting it distributed may be another trick altogether, but there's various print-on-demand publishing services, or heck, you could just do it as a webcomic.
              Positronic--- the only thing that's stopping me is getting the QUALITY for the series to satisfy fans and make it profitable.

Nick has a publishing house(DE), a great cover artist (Alex Ross), ---but all he really needs is a quality writer, and a couple of great artists--- an experienced editor-- and me(for direction.)

And if I could win the lottery, I would seek them out and offer to pay the bill to try it my way. (Maybe we all would.) It's hard to put all of that together. Inkers, colorists, deciding on story direction. Plus much more. Yeah, and distribution plays a part, too.

Hey, I'm a fan. Are you cranky or what?? How can we get Nick to move on PSP if we say nothing.??

Comment

Well, I'm not sure what lottery you're talking about or what kind of payout you had in mind (presumably millions?)...

But if I had that kind of money, I'd just try to become a publisher myself, do things according to my own vision, and try to hire the best writers and artists (again, according to my way of seeing it) that were available and/or I could afford. I'm sure Nicky B. would like to win the lottery too!

The way I see it, people start comic book companies all the time, and not all of them have millions of dollars to invest to begin with (but it certainly helps!)
                Some start with less investment, but have more industry connections to the kind of talent, editorial and production people with experience. On the other hand, it's entirely possible to start on a shoestring (better if you don't have to, though). But if you're fat with lottery bucks, go big or go home, I say.
                Last edited by positronic; 08-02-2012, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Gotta have a little experience!!

Well, I'm not sure what lottery you're talking about or what kind of payout you had in mind (presumably millions?)...

But if I had that kind of money, I'd just try to become a publisher myself, do things according to my own vision, and try to hire the best writers and artists (again, according to my way of seeing it) that were available and/or I could afford. I'm sure Nicky B. would like to win the lottery too!
                  What are you doing up so late??
                  Well, I thought money was the problem??!!

If a publisher had the MONEY, why wouldn't you hire an experienced writer, an experienced editor, two expensive, dynamite artists like Tom Grummett---- and write some quality comics??

If ya don't have the money, you hire some of the artists that DE hired, and have the stories that did not generate a big audience ----so the book (or Project) failed.

It's GOT TO BE THE MONEY!!

I don't have the experience to be a publisher. Even if I win the lottery, you can make a lot of mistakes before you get good, quality comics to the rack.

Comment

If you won the lottery, maybe... just buy Dynamite lock, stock and barrel..? Then do a makeover and infuse as much money as you can into talent, while keeping all the good stuff. But even if we won the lottery, Marvel and DC can still crush us with their corporate buying power. Maybe if you win enough lotteries, you can buy Dynamite, IDW, Boom!, and Dark Horse and conglomerate them into one super-company (Image has too many millionaires, so forget that). Just think of the talent, experience, and connections available to you then.

Comment

Nick is close to having what's necessary.

If you won the lottery, maybe... just buy Dynamite lock, stock and barrel..? Then do a makeover and infuse as much money as you can into talent, while keeping all the good stuff. But even if we won the lottery, Marvel and DC can still crush us with their corporate buying power. Maybe if you win enough lotteries, you can buy Dynamite, IDW, Boom!, and Dark Horse and conglomerate them into one super-company (Image has too many millionaires, so forget that). Just think of the talent, experience, and connections available to you then.
                      Well, I'm not sure we should get "carried away".

But, I will repeat: I think if DE had an experienced editor ("like" a Roy Thomas), a couple of good writers, and a couple of quality artists and you roll.

With a "quality team" you could build a fan base, units, and slowly continue to build your line. (Just a little like Marvel did.) My thrust is, and has been, you NEED the exciting, talented, experienced team to make Project SuperPowers successful.

If it's money that holds you back, get some.

Buy the talent you need to give fans a good read and great, exciting art..... and they'll come. (You've got the characters, the Golden Age Super-Heroes.) And more importantly, they'll stay. They stay, and you can compete. "Marvel" had distribution problems and all kinds of trouble to overcome. They did it.

It can be done.
                      Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-05-2012, 03:42 AM.

Comment

If it's money that holds you back, get some.
                        Sure. And if winning the lottery is not an option, there's always bank robbery. Or your rich uncle Poindexter could have an untimely "accident".
                        Last edited by positronic; 08-05-2012, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Why involve family in the comics??

Sure. And if winning the lottery is not an option, there's always bank robbery. Or your rich uncle Poindexter could have an untimely "accident".
                          Bank Robbery is the more exciting. I say, if there's a choice: go for the bank robbery.!! Uncle can take care of himself. Why involve family.??

Comment

Buy the talent you need to give fans a good read and great, exciting art..... and they'll come. (You've got the characters, the Golden Age Super-Heroes.) And more importantly, they'll stay. They stay, and you can compete. "Marvel" had distribution problems and all kinds of trouble to overcome. They did it.

It can be done.
                            Sometimes you luck out. The only talent the early Marvel had available to it was the talent DC wasn't interested in utilizing. (Ah, but it was a different world back then. One can only imagine the Martin Goodman and Stan Lee of 1962's reaction to the idea that one day Marvel would be publishing $4.00 comic books that sold 40,000 copies per issue!)

But Marvel was lean and mean where DC wasn't, and the company's innovative editorial approach (yes, along with the talent DC couldn't recognize) is what put them on the map in a Pop Culture era where the times, they were a-changin', along with the audience. Marvel was the only superhero publisher besides DC that was thriving (after a near-death experience), while the other companies were dying. And not only was DC the publisher unable to recognize talent until it was too late, they nurtured a viper in their midst by taking the short money from their distribution of Marvel's books, never aware of the fact that they were raising a titan that would soon overshadow their own empire. What if, in say 1964-1965, Jack Liebowitz, recognizing Goodman's threat to DC's own market share, had issued an ultimatum to Goodman -- either allow DC to buy him out, or find a new distributor? (DC did exactly this to Charlie Gaines' AA Comics in 1945.) What would Goodman have done then?

The comic market is SO different today (distribution, audience, competition) that I'm not sure the analogy applies.
                            Last edited by positronic; 08-05-2012, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Sometimes you luck out. The only talent the early Marvel had available to it was the talent DC wasn't interested in utilizing. (Ah, but it was a different world back then. One can only imagine the Martin Goodman and Stan Lee of 1962's reaction to the idea that one day Marvel would be publishing $4.00 comic books that sold 40,000 copies per issue!)

But Marvel was lean and mean where DC wasn't, and the company's innovative editorial approach (yes, along with the talent DC couldn't recognize) is what put them on the map in a Pop Culture era where the times, they were a-changin', along with the audience. Marvel was the only superhero publisher besides DC that was thriving (after a near-death experience), while the other companies were dying. And not only was DC the publisher unable to recognize talent until it was too late, they nurtured a viper in their midst by taking the short money from their distribution of Marvel's books, never aware of the fact that they were raising a titan that would soon overshadow their own empire. What if, in say 1964-1965, Jack Liebowitz, recognizing Goodman's threat to DC's own market share, had issued an ultimatum to Goodman -- either allow DC to buy him out, or find a new distributor? (DC did exactly this to Charlie Gaines' AA Comics in 1945.) What would Goodman have done then?

The comic market is SO different today (distribution, audience, competition) that I'm not sure the analogy applies.
                              Very good points. Great synopsis of what happened and what could have happened.

Maybe the landscape has changed alot since then... but what is wrong with what I'm saying.?? Where do you find that what I'm suggesting will not work??

Comment

Maybe the landscape has changed alot since then... but what is wrong with what I'm saying.?? Where do you find that what I'm suggesting will not work??
                                Sorry, I'm just a bitter old man who has seen too many good and beautiful comic books die on the vine because "the marketplace" did not embrace them.

The recent Kirby Genesis is a perfect example. WHAT, I ask you what, was wrong with that comic book that it did not fly off the racks? Kurt Busiek's writing sucked? Jack Herbert's art sucked? OK, then I guess I don't know what's good and what sucks. Yeah, later issues were... late. But this has not hurt other series where the interest level was already there. I'm afraid I no longer have any confidence in the marketplace to embrace the things that I find to be "high quality" in comic books.

So yeah, if you hired Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway to write and draw Project Superpowers, I would love it. But I'm not sure "the marketplace" would agree and make it a big success.
                                Last edited by positronic; 08-06-2012, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X