Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dream writer/artist for Genesis/Project Superpowers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream writer/artist for Genesis/Project Superpowers?

So, within the real of possibility who would you choose as your dream writer and artist for Project Superpowers and Kirby: Genesis? Now keep in mind that this does not mean "anyone", but someone who could possibly be available who isn't tied into a DC/Marvel contract and someone who isn't apparently out of price range for Dynamite. My pick for writer would be Ron Marz since he's always been fantastic at writing superheroes and he's now working with Dynamite on Prophecy, he'd be perfect for chapter 3 of Superpowers or Chapter 2 of Kirby: Genesis. As for the artist, well I guess I would pick Michael Broussard since he's worked with Ron before and his pencils made so many Top Cow characters come to life, I just absolutely love his pencils.

Tag, you're it.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Project Superpowers - Brandon Jerwa and Jonathon Lau.

Kirby: Genesis - Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley.

Comment

Project Superpowers: Chuck Dixon & Marco Checchetto (the current Punisher artist)

Kirby Genesis: Busiek & Herbert (I thought they were fantastic).

Comment

I would love to see Chuck Dixon, Marv Wolfman, or Ron Marz write any Project Superpowers or Kirby: Genesis related material, I'd also love to see Busiek stay on Genesis if at all possible. Artists, well, Jonathan Lau or the guy who pencils Flash Gordon for DE would be wonderful choices as an artist on either series.

Comment

hmmmm

How about Kurt takes over on PS and someone like Ande parks or Ron mars on Genesis? Switch it up!

Comment

Busiek & Herbert on PROJECT SUPERPOWERS.
            Joe Casey & Tom Scioli on CAPTAIN VICTORY.
            David Hine & Shaky Kane on SILVER STAR.
            Erik Larsen & Jose Ladronn on KIRBY GENESIS.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
              Busiek & Herbert on PROJECT SUPERPOWERS.
              Joe Casey & Tom Scioli on CAPTAIN VICTORY.
              David Hine & Shaky Kane on SILVER STAR.
              Erik Larsen & Jose Ladronn on KIRBY GENESIS.
              Isn't Erik Larsen still an Image guy with loyalty to them that wont allow him to write elsewhere? Joe Casey and David Hine are great choices, David Wohl would be a great choice for a book too.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
                Isn't Erik Larsen still an Image guy with loyalty to them that wont allow him to write elsewhere?
                Dunno. Maybe he just isn't being asked to write for anyone else.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Oh yeah. Here's another one. Jim Starlin. Get him to write (and maybe draw?) just about any of the space-based or cosmic characters from KG. (GALAXY GREEN?) He's burned some bridges at Marvel for sure, and maybe DC as well, so he should be available -- give this guy some work, DE!

And I would second the notion of getting Ron Marz to write some KG stuff, too. He worked on Silver Surfer and Green Lantern, so he knows his space opera stuff.
                  Last edited by positronic; 07-19-2012, 04:35 AM.

Comment

I love Starlin -- Thanos and Warlock are two of my all-time favorite characters -- but not when he works on Kirby's stuff.

Starlin either doesn't "get" Kirby, or wants to "one-up" Kirby. He always seems to take the concepts and characters and push them in a direction that is fundamentally different than what Kirby seemed to intended (and I compare his work on the New Gods with Morrison, who I honestly think really understands what Kirby was trying to do, and stays very true to Kirby's spirit).

Just my opinion. I really like Starlin a lot. But his view of the world seems diametrically different than Kirby's and whenever he's worked on Kirby's characters the stories wind up being really dissatisfying (at least to me).

Otherwise, I'd agree. Starlin's magnificent.

Comment

Except in the case of Captain Victory and Silver Star, there's nothing to not get or contradict, as none of the other characters really made it too far beyond the concept stage. Are you sure we're talking about the same Grant Morrison who did a Mister Miracle miniseries and Final Crisis? Because I sure didn't see much of Kirby's sensibility in there.

Comment

Dream writer/artist for Project SuperPowers

My choice for Dream writer/artist for Project Superpowers would be Chris Roberson and Alex Ross.

If Roberson can deliver a script that has brought Alex Ross to paint some interiors, .... then I would like to believe Roberson could fix and bring new life into THE PROJECT.

And we all know, that if the script was strong, and Alex "got on board" --- PROJECT: SUPERPOWERS could "live" again.

DE wouldn't have to go far for this team. They already work there.

Dreams are a funny thing.

Comment

Except in the case of Captain Victory and Silver Star, there's nothing to not get or contradict, as none of the other characters really made it too far beyond the concept stage. Are you sure we're talking about the same Grant Morrison who did a Mister Miracle miniseries and Final Crisis? Because I sure didn't see much of Kirby's sensibility in there.
                          I think the difference is a philosophical one: Kirby deals in big archetypes of good vs. evil, whereas Starlin deals with more heady philosophical concerns of nihilism vs. humanism (Thanos vs. Warlock). The two aren't necessarily the same thing, and what I've seen with Starlin when he writes Kirby characters is to re-orient them towards the things he's concerned with, and away from the things that seemed to inspire Kirby. I can easily see him providing a take on Silver Star or Captain Victory which are very different than the sort of thing Kirby seemingly thought about them (e.g. Capt Victory was apparently intimated to be the grandson of Darkseid, which introduces the themes of good/evil that again define the Fourth World mythos rather than the Thanos stories). You may actually be right, and that Starlin could do a tremendous job given how little "canon" there is for these characters. But I always find myself disappointed with his stories that involve Kirby characters. Just my take on it though.

As for Final Crisis, I've written a review on Amazon under the name "Ishmael" which talks about how Morrison is the heir of Kirby. It's longish, and I don't necessarily want to reiterate all that I said there. But you can find it if you look up the Final Crisis book and look under the three star reviews. I think the title I gave the review was "A Kirby Inspired Epic" or something like that.

Comment

And I wasn't thinking of Starlin for Captain Victory or Silver Star (I listed my suggestions in an earlier post); I agree about Starlin's philosophical themes (which some may find tiresome and repetitive, but I find to be his strongest suit, different from Kirby's themes, but unique in comics). Except for a few lines or notes by Kirby, most of the other characters are "virgin territory", so no re-orientation necessary.

I'm sorry to say I don't worship the ground Grant Morrison walks on -- he can be alternately brilliant (Animal Man, All Star Superman, Batman Incorporated) or frustrating (New X-Men, Batman R.I.P., Action Comics), depending on the work in question. Overall, I liked Final Crisis, but with two caveats: the inclusion of plot material that was properly germaine to his concurrently-running Batman storyline (which didn't belong in this story and struck me as a rather crass commercial attempt at cross-self-promotion), and his handling of the Kirby oeuvre (hated it in the Seven Soldiers Mr. Miracle mini, and hated it worse here -- seems like he was punishing everyone at DC for ignoring his changes to the Kirby mythos in the earlier one). The fact that Starlin was handed the Death of the New Gods to write an ending to at virtually the same time is less a reflection on Starlin than it is on DC editorial having their collective heads stuck up their asses. It would seem your love-hate relationship to Jim Starlin's work is mirrored in my own perception of Morrison's work. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, I guess. Regarding Starlin's take on Kirby's DC stuff, it's not among his best work, I'd agree. On the other hand he took a Kirby-created concept ("Him") that was largely unfleshed-out and turned it into something great (Adam Warlock, after a so-so reimagining by Thomas and Kane).
                            Last edited by positronic; 07-20-2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

And I wasn't thinking of Starlin for Captain Victory or Silver Star (I listed my suggestions in an earlier post); I agree about Starlin's philosophical themes (which some may find tiresome and repetitive, but I find to be his strongest suit, different from Kirby's themes, but unique in comics). Except for a few lines or notes by Kirby, most of the other characters are "virgin territory", so no re-orientation necessary.

I'm sorry to say I don't worship the ground Grant Morrison walks on -- he can be alternately brilliant (Animal Man, All Star Superman, Batman Incorporated) or frustrating (New X-Men, Batman R.I.P., Action Comics), depending on the work in question. Overall, I liked Final Crisis, but with two caveats: the inclusion of plot material that was properly germaine to his concurrently-running Batman storyline (which didn't belong in this story and struck me as a rather crass commercial attempt at cross-self-promotion), and his handling of the Kirby oeuvre (hated it in the Seven Soldiers Mr. Miracle mini, and hated it worse here -- seems like he was punishing everyone at DC for ignoring his changes to the Kirby mythos in the earlier one). The fact that Starlin was handed the Death of the New Gods to write an ending to at virtually the same time is less a reflection on Starlin than it is on DC editorial having their collective heads stuck up their asses. It would seem your love-hate relationship to Jim Starlin's work is mirrored in my own perception of Morrison's work. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, I guess. Regarding Starlin's take on Kirby's DC stuff, it's not among his best work, I'd agree. On the other hand he took a Kirby-created concept ("Him") that was largely unfleshed-out and turned it into something great (Adam Warlock, after a so-so reimagining by Thomas and Kane).
                              Fair enough about Warlock, and there's no logical reason to think he couldn't do something similar here, even if I've got doubts. But to be clear, I'm no huge Morrison fan. I've not read any of his Batman stuff, and am pretty ambivalent about him overall. I don't buy his work just 'cos it's got his name on it, and have actually skipped a lot of what's he written (have never read his X-men stuff at all). But I did enjoy Seven Soldiers quite a bit, and really dug Final Crisis (for the most part).

By contrast, I will buy Starlin's work without hesitation. So there's no real love/hate relationship for me. He's one of the few creators who's an instantaneous buy for me. But I just haven't enjoyed his take on the Fourth World (Cosmic Odyssey left me cold and Death of the NG didn't do anything for me).

Nevertheless, he's an interesting suggestion for the Kirby: Genesis line, and I'd pick up whatever he wrote if they gave him something.

Comment

Working...
                              X