Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Nick Barrucci: What About Project Super Powers????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JewishHobbit View Post
    I really don't see a 3rd Chapter in an already ongoing plot being a great jumping on point. The series wasn't exactly selling like gangbusters to the point where they had to take a lot of time to rethink the package. Why would it take this long and then return to the same point they left off? It makes no sense. The best thing they can do with these properties is to reboot... I'm just not interested in that.
    Well, it sounds like you've already written off PSP in whatever form it may return. That being the case, there really isn't anything further to discuss.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

We would really like to see PSP back!!

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      There are ways of "rebooting" without rebooting per se. MASKS represents what amounts to a continuity implant for Black Terror and Green Lama. An upcoming series featuring the PSP characters in the Golden Age setting would amount to a "reboot" while not technically violating any continuity established the already-published issues of PSP and the various spinoff series.
      To me, this sounds like a promising approach.....and would give the readers a chance to "know" the heroes.!!
      Viable.!!

Comment

psp

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        Well, it sounds like you've already written off PSP in whatever form it may return. That being the case, there really isn't anything further to discuss.
        I've not written off anything other than a reboot. I might try a series if it's set in the PSP past but what would urk me is if they moved forward with a new series without wrapping up the dangling plot threads of Chapter 2. However, as I said, I don't see them continuing with Chapter 3 right now, as it'd be a bit continuity heavy.

Comment

I've not written off anything other than a reboot. I might try a series if it's set in the PSP past but what would urk me is if they moved forward with a new series without wrapping up the dangling plot threads of Chapter 2. However, as I said, I don't see them continuing with Chapter 3 right now, as it'd be a bit continuity heavy.
          Maybe a Golden Age-set Black Terror series (Nick B. stated "there is a reason Black Terror is appearing in MASKS") is a segue to continuing with PSP Chapter 3 (although I doubt they'd use that title now, and I would presume some sort of one-shot summarizing events of the first 2 PSP series and the 3 spinoff series would be needed to bring new readers up to speed).
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I don't know what to expect by the appearance of Black Terror in Masks, but I would be stoked if it led to a new series or somehow connected to the 3rd volume of Project Superpowers. I guess time will tell if it means anything at all but I'm pretty sure something awesome will come out of this in the end.
            Dynamite Entertainment
            Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

PSP has to be dealt with!!

Somebody is NOT going to be happy here.
              I won't go with almost anything other than a reboot.
              The writing (and the art) was really disappointing for me.!!
              To see the GOLDEN AGE HEROES return was really great.
              The art and the writing was waaay disappointing.

Do I want them to try again.?? Yes, of course. I would love to see those GOLDEN AGE HEROES return.
              Same heroes...same cover artist. (Ross) ...different writer...different artists!! Someone who makes them look strong and heroic... with clean, beautiful lines.

Sometimes you wonder why fans drop some of the Dynamite titles.
              I know when PSP "FAILED" ....AND did not improve as it went along.... I continued to buy the issues... but when it was cancelled, I was "way leary" of Dynamite.
              I did Not buy into the Kirby-thing because of the way PSP was handled. (And I'm a BIG Kirby fan.)

So, if Dynamite (and Nick) try to build their Super-hero Universe on the PSP that's out there (with NO REBOOT), I don't think I'll be on board.
              That PSP was badly written and badly drawn.

DC had Carmine Infantino, Gil Kane, Joe Kubert, Murphy Anderson,Mike Sekowsky, Benard Sachs,...and a small handful of others.

Marvel had Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Don Heck, Dick Ayers, and a small handful of others.

Tell me who Dynamite had for PSP??? And please don't say Alex Ross. He did a wonderful job on those PSP covers.
              If you can't....or won't ....establish your super-hero universe, you're going to have a very hard time establishing yourself on the racks.

If you don't have good to great artists who can deliver exciting pages month after month....Good Luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by magnoanddavey View Post
                So, if Dynamite (and Nick) try to build their Super-hero Universe on the PSP that's out there (with NO REBOOT), I don't think I'll be on board.
                That PSP was badly written and badly drawn.
                I fully disagree with your opinion and I found Project Superpowers to be illustrated quite nicely and written even better. But again, that's just my opinion.

Comment

I think the art was okay, not great. The problem with the writing was that there were to many characters and the plot got rather conveluted. They should have gone with maybe four to six regulars with others making one and to issue guest apperances. There would have been room to flesh out the main characters and touch on others. Bring on the Bad Guys could have been a nice side piece if it was done as a team up book or the way DC is doing thier one tilte (DC Universe?) as a series of story arcs featuring different characters or groups of characters.

One way to look t it is that it was very successfull because we're still talking about it.
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                    I think the art was okay, not great. The problem with the writing was that there were to many characters and the plot got rather convoluted.
                    That's pretty much my take on it as well. You have to build complexity into a comic book universe over time, not try to just toss out something comparable in complexity to the Marvel or DC universes from the get-go, with new and unfamiliar (to most readers) characters.

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                    One way to look t it is that it was very successful because we're still talking about it.
                    There is that. That must count for something. Cult status, at least.

Comment

I was a fan of the art in chapter 1 on PSP, but the art in chapter 2 was much improved. As far as the story goes, I absolutely loved it despite too many characters being used at once. I just really fell in love with the entire package and PSP brought me to Dynamite in the first place, so I'm hoping to see them continue the story rather than reboot it, but I'll take these characters any which way I can get them.
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

PSP is one of my favorite titles. I thought the art was really strong in both chapters. I agree the cast got a bit crowded at times. I really hope PSP Chapter 3 picks up where 2 left off and we resolve the whole Claw issue.

One suggestion would be to have another PSP line of some of the secondary heroes. Let them have thier own title and chance to shine. But here I am asking for ANOTHER PSP title when we havent even gotten the promised one yet.

Comment

Title

See, my thing is that I'm not buying Project Superpowers because I'm a fan of Golden Age characters. I don't give a crap about the Golden age really. I just really enjoyed the PSP story and the characters presented there. To me, those are new characters and they are as they were portrayed.

Bring me a Black Terror without the glowing chest, white eyes, and doctor pirate motiff and I'm not that interested. I want my Green Llama teleporting and controling plants. I want those changes or else these characters aren't the ones I fell in love with. If the book was rebooted in any way the characters I loved would be gone, replaced with look alikes that, while likey more similar to the originals, are not the ones I want to read.

It isn't that I'd throw a hissy fit, I just don't really have the interest or finances to start yet another genre or series based on characters I know little about. I'm invested in the PSP line... that's what I want to see continue.

Comment

I enjoyed the writing and art on PSP chapters 1 and 2.

I don't think the art and writing were the problem. Maybe the number of characters and density of plotting were off-putting for some, but thee are other books with large casts, or dense plots, or both.

No, to me I wonder how much the seemingly sporadic publication hurt sales and building a readership? Add to that that as well as keeping the main book coming out on time, other books needed to be equally timely.

Comment

yep

The only flaw, in my opinion, was an oversaturation of characters without much story about who they are. By the end of Chapter two I had a good grasp of a majority of the characters but that's a long time to have characters we barely know. I mean, issues 0-7 of Chapter 1 and I only really knew Green Llama, Fighting Yank, Dynamic Man, and Black Terror. Minis and most of Chapter 2 finally helped me get a better grasp on the other characters but I still don't feel confident that I KNOW a lot of them.

It was just a bit overwhelming going in. Fortunately I stuck with it.

Personally, I was really hoping for some more minis before Chapter 3 so we can get to know more of the secondary characters. The Ghost and the Flame were the two I really wanted to see more of. I even considered submitting a oneshot or mini for the Flame dealing with the aftermath of Chapter 2.

Now I'm just really eager to hear what this announcement is.

Comment

The only flaw, in my opinion, was an oversaturation of characters without much story about who they are. By the end of Chapter two I had a good grasp of a majority of the characters but that's a long time to have characters we barely know. I mean, issues 0-7 of Chapter 1 and I only really knew Green Llama, Fighting Yank, Dynamic Man, and Black Terror. Minis and most of Chapter 2 finally helped me get a better grasp on the other characters but I still don't feel confident that I KNOW a lot of them.

It was just a bit overwhelming going in. Fortunately I stuck with it.

Personally, I was really hoping for some more minis before Chapter 3 so we can get to know more of the secondary characters. The Ghost and the Flame were the two I really wanted to see more of. I even considered submitting a oneshot or mini for the Flame dealing with the aftermath of Chapter 2.

Now I'm just really eager to hear what this announcement is.
                                What announcement? Any link to hints? Please.

Comment

Working...
                                X