• "JT Krul, Alex Ross Resurrect "The Owl" At Dynamite"

If I may have the honour... :-)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=44690

Click image for larger version

Name:	OwlRoss.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	49528

The Owl returns to comics in his own limited series. Written by the critically acclaimed , J.T. Krul, with art by Heubert Khan Michael, and covers by Alex Ross and special Subscription Only Exclusive Covery Ardian Syaf, The Owl #1 hits stores this coming July!

In issue #1, lost for 50 years in an ethereal limbo, the Owl has come back to find a violent and desperate world of strangers. The woman he loved is gone, but he remains determined to continue his fight for justice. Can the Owl withstand the challenges awaiting him… or will this new reality crush his body and spirit?

"With a character like the Owl, I get to explore the heart of a true hero whose greatest threat seems to be the soul of the entire world around him," says writer J.T. Krul. "Nick Terry used to live in a golden age it seemed, but he now finds himself in our present day - and a world filled with greed, apathy, and utter desperation at every turn. It's the mark of a true hero, staying true to one's ideals when there is little hope to be found. In this story, he'll see what his mission and legacy has become and it will scare him more than anything else."

"We at Dynamite extremely excited to work with J.T. again, hot off his DC Comics Exclusive," adds Dynamite CEO / Publisher Nick Barrucci. "We hope that this is the first of many more projects with J.T. and we are all in such anticipation for The Owl to ‘take flight'! The Owl is a bridge series for more to come from Dynamite, and we couldn't be happier."

"LIKE" DYNAMITE'S FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!

http://www.facebook.com/dynamitecomics

Join the conversation on Dynamite Entertainment's twitter page at http://twitter.com/DynamiteComics.

To find a comic shop near you, call 1-888-comicbook or visit http://www.comicshoplocator.com/.

For art and more information, please visit: http://ww.dynamite.com/.

About Dynamite Entertainment:
    DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT was founded in 2004 and is home to several best-selling comic book titles and properties, including The Boys, The Shadow, Vampirella, Warlord of Mars, Bionic Man, A Game of Thrones, and more!

Dynamite owns and controls an extensive library with over 3,000 characters (which includes the Harris Comics and Chaos Comics properties), such as Vampirella, Pantha, Evil Ernie, Smiley the Psychotic Button, Chastity, Purgatori, and Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt.

In addition to their critically-acclaimed titles and bestselling comics, Dynamite works with some of the most high profile creators in comics and entertainment, including Kevin Smith, Alex Ross, John Cassaday, Garth Ennis, Jae Lee, Marc Guggenheim, Mike Carey, Jim Krueger, Greg Pak, Brett Matthews, Matt Wagner, and a host of up-and-coming new talent!

Dynamite is consistently ranked in the upper tiers of comic book publishers and several of their titles - including Alex Ross and Jim Krueger's Project Superpowers - have debuted in the Top Ten lists produced by Diamond Comics Distributors. In 2005, Diamond awarded the company a GEM award for Best New Publisher and another GEM in 2006 for Comics Publisher of the Year (under 5%) and again in 2011. The company has also been nominated for and won several industry awards, including the prestigious Harvey and Eisner Awards.
    Last edited by Captain Canuck; 04-03-2013, 12:12 PM.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    In issue #1, lost for 50 years in an ethereal limbo, the Owl has come back
    The "ethereal limbo" was called Pandora's Urn (it happened many years ago in a series called Project Superpowers).

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    The Owl is a bridge series for more to come from Dynamite, and we couldn't be happier."
    So why wasn't this posted in the PROJECT SUPERPOWERS forum, Captain? This is it. This is the news Nick has been hinting at about bringing back PSP for about 2 years or so.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Sorry, not trying to be ungrateful, Captain. It's just that the significance of this goes FAR beyond just "Dynamite adds another cool Golden Age/pulp revival character to its lineup" (even if Alex Ross is involved). Try to understand that people on the PSP forum have been tortured and frustrated for 3 years waiting for news of PSP's revival. Some are hopping mad, and some have given up hope. So it's pretty important just beyond the announcement of The Owl himself.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
          Try to understand that people on the PSP forum have been tortured and frustrated for 3 years waiting for news of PSP's revival.
          Yeah, I know. I was on those boards plenty. I don't have much of an explanation for you other than I was excited to post it, it seemed to me that it could fit on either board, and right here right now, it seemed to fit this one better. If admin wants to move it, they can go right ahead, I guess.

Comment

But to bring this discussion back to the main point:

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

And it sounds like it will be focused on one of the themes I was hoping PSP would cover: the culture shock of a hero from 50 years ago dealing with the current world. I am putting this on my order list. Or, phrased another way:

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm not going to move this to the PSP forums until I am 100% aware that this is going to be a Project Superpowers tie in. Most of the PSP tie in's say "From the pages of....." with the title listed on the top along with the PS logo. Time shall tell.
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                I'm not going to move this to the PSP forums until I am 100% aware that this is going to be a Project Superpowers tie in. Most of the PSP tie in's say "From the pages of....." with the title listed on the top along with the PS logo. Time shall tell.
                I'm not sure how it can not be a PSP tie-in. Even though the solicitation copy is being sort of coy about the connection - because PSP hasn't been seen for a number of years, and the comic-book buying public has a short memory, except when it comes to the die-hards - it's pretty clear from the reference to 'lost for 50 years in an ethereal limbo' that this is indeed the same Owl that appeared in Project Superpowers, and not some rebooted version. And I think that hint about a 'bridge' is evidence enough that this isn't intended to stand alone and apart from PSP. What's the difference between this and Black Terror and Green Lama appearing in MASKS? In that series, we are never really sure (at least so far) if they are in the same universe as the events of PSP or some parallel universe.
                Last edited by positronic; 04-04-2013, 01:18 AM.

Comment

I'm sure this will serve as the entry point into Superpowers chapter 3, but I wish they would just come out and say so. They may garner more interest that way. The general buyer who liked Project Superpowers probably won't know that this is the next step to a new chapter unless they're a die hard fan and I think before its released that Dynamite needs to come out and say so.

Comment

Thread moved for the time being.
                    Dynamite Entertainment
                    Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                      I'm sure this will serve as the entry point into Superpowers chapter 3, but I wish they would just come out and say so. They may garner more interest that way. The general buyer who liked Project Superpowers probably won't know that this is the next step to a new chapter unless they're a die hard fan and I think before its released that Dynamite needs to come out and say so.
                      I think the new perception at DE is the opposite. Slapping a PSP label on the book is not seen as a selling point. I think they know that PSP fans (of which there weren't enough to keep the series going) probably have their radar attuned to the characters and are watching for the first sign of a revival. They're unlikely to miss it.

Now, I think where DE realizes they went wrong in the past is in trying to do these big events (PSP, Green Hornet, Kirby Genesis) where they launch with an entire bundle of 4 books (or more). The comic book buying public may commit to 4 limited series for a short span of time, after which they want to move on to something else, or they may commit to one ongoing title, just until they have read it long enough to become dyed-in-the-wool fans of it. But launching a whole group of titles at once makes some people back off and pass entirely, even if you might have interested them in a single ongoing. I think Kevin Smith's Green Hornet largely escaped from this syndrome purely on the drawing power of the name "Kevin Smith". Thus, at this point, a discontinued series with several miniseries tie-ins like PSP that hasn't been seen in 4 years or so is perceived as a turn-off to the reader who may be open to a series like The Owl apart from its connection to anything else DE published in the past. Slapping a PSP label on it might well cause some people to think, "Well, I passed on PSP before, and I guess I'll pass on this one too". In short, we have to trick the unconverted into giving this book a try. Later on, when they decide they like it and realize its connection to previously-published DE series, they may or may not make the effort to seek out PSP back issues or TP collections.
                      Last edited by positronic; 04-05-2013, 01:33 AM.

Comment

I would bet that once we see the final cover for The Owl #1 that Dynamite will put the "From the Pages of Project Superpowers" branding at the top.
                        Dynamite Entertainment
                        Forum Administrator

Comment

I loved Project Superpowers and I wanted Dynamite to start an entire line and universe around it that would go up against Marvel and DC, and though they were well on their way it never quite happened. I did love the output that we got though and i look forward to The Owl and chapter three if we get to see it.

Comment

I really really hope this will mean another project superpowers chapter!!!! Please!!! I liked the owl in the last chapter, always felt he could rock it in his own book and nows his chance!

Comment

I don't know, with such a perceived bad reputation, Dynamite might want to move this away from PSP. But, they should give a wink and a nod to the die hard readers.

Comment

Working...
                              X