Tom Strong & The Plaent of Peril

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Strong & The Plaent of Peril

Just read this one and Tom is going to Terra Obscura the 'earth' that features the golden age characters. More set up then anything else but it ws still a good read and the artwork was solid. P:SP fans might want to check it out.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

This was my Book of the Week (although Captain Midnight #1 was also a strong contender).

Mostly set-up, as you say, but what a great set-up. With Tom's daughter Tesla hovering at the brink of death due to her pregnancy, only a trip to Terra Obscura to retrieve Tom Strange's secret invulnerability formula, Alosun, can save her. But when they get there, it won't be so easy, since Black Terror has taken over the planet and instituted martial law.

I liked all the ABC titles, but Tom Strong and Terra Obscura were my two favorites. Tom Strong and the Planet of Peril is like having them both back.

Thank grud they're still allowed to publish titles like Astro City and Tom Strong over at DC, because the rest of the line is looking pretty thin. Marvel is only marginally better; the only Marvel titles worth reading this week were FF and Daredevil.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      I liked all the ABC titles, but Tom Strong and Terra Obscura were my two favorites. Tom Strong and the Planet of Peril is like having them both back.
      They were two of my favorites. Jonni Future was a close third because there seemed to be a lot going on. I'll admit part of it was the 'jiggle factor' but we got to see her learning to be a hero and learning about her uncle. Then there was the relationship between her and her leopard man partner and the universe in general.
      Last edited by Ghornet2; 08-01-2013, 05:51 PM.
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

The anthology titles (Tomorrow Stories and Tom Strong's Terrific Tales), although interesting, never seemed as strong to me as the others. I didn't find Steve Moore particularly compelling as a writer, and after reading the first few segments, I thereafter routinely just scanned the artwork in Jonni Future to look at the boobies. In fact, I got the distinct impression that Steve Moore was tasked with scripting from the finished pages by Art Adams (who Alan graciously indulged, as a showcase to draw whatever the hell he felt like, mostly T&A). The anthology titles seemed to be mainly about having a place for Alan Moore to give some work to his friends.

Peter Hogan is great, though. He wrote a few issues of Tom Strong, then The Many Worlds of Tesla Strong one-shot, both Terra Obscura miniseries, and the 2010 Tom Strong and the Robots of Doom miniseries. Doesn't feel like a bit of a drop in quality since Alan Moore left his creations behind. Hogan's Resident Alien series for Dark Horse (with artist Steve Parkhouse) is well worth checking out, too.
        Last edited by pulphero; 08-02-2013, 01:55 AM.

Comment

I some holdinmissed the Robots of Doom but have my LCBS holding the TPB.

Comment

Where have we seen those heroes before??

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            This was my Book of the Week (although Captain Midnight #1 was also a strong contender).

Mostly set-up, as you say, but what a great set-up. With Tom's daughter Tesla hovering at the brink of death due to her pregnancy, only a trip to Terra Obscura to retrieve Tom Strange's secret invulnerability formula, Alosun, can save her. But when they get there, it won't be so easy, since Black Terror has taken over the planet and instituted martial law.

Thank grud they're still allowed to publish titles like Astro City and Tom Strong over at DC, because the rest of the line is looking pretty thin. Marvel is only marginally better; the only Marvel titles worth reading this week were FF and Daredevil.
            I really agree with you.... on almost ALL of your points. Especially Tom Strong and Terra Obscura.

This "Planet of Peril" was my "book of the week", too. The "money page" was the 2-page spread of the Golden Age Heroes.

Geee, it would be great to see them under a DE banner.

Now the second issue of TOM STRONG and the planet of peril ....is out.

And, again, I thought it was great. Black Terror returns with Tim's brain... and Tom is in another great adventure.

Just what I like in a comicbook... GREAT ART.... GREAT STORY...and GREAT CHARACTERS.

DE has great characters....and GREAT COVER ART (Ross)..... but in my humble opinion, they need GREAT ARTISTS and GREAT (writers) STORIES.

It's painful to see such potential and not see it used.

I'm REALLY looking forward to KING'S WATCH. The art looks pretty good and they have wonderful characters in THE PHANTOM, MANDRAKE, and FLASH GORDON.

I hope the story is a good one.
            Last edited by magnoanddavey; 08-30-2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X