No announcement yet.

Owl #3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed it (issue 4 and the series) on the whole, with a few caveats.

The Owl felt like a good guy to me in the sense of a man out time. I am glad that Krul attempted to graft on a new life outside of the costume, although I do not buy him walking into a Police detective's job with no clear credentials or known references or employment history. It just stretched suspension of disbelief a bit too much for my liking, and if there had been some kind of assistance from a peer or interested party that would have made it work better.

I was okay with the way Owl Girl's coup was handled at the end, and how threads have been dangled for the future.

Tonally this fitted with what i recalled of the previous Project Superpowers books so that was good too.

And it shipped month after month which was unexpected by me to be honest given DE's track record (sorry to say).

I would have liked some hint at the next Project Superpowers series or mini, assuming there will be more, but that is only a minor gripe.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
      The Owl felt like a good guy to me in the sense of a man out time. I am glad that Krul attempted to graft on a new life outside of the costume, although I do not buy him walking into a Police detective's job with no clear credentials or known references or employment history. It just stretched suspension of disbelief a bit too much for my liking, and if there had been some kind of assistance from a peer or interested party that would have made it work better.
      Well, I know if I was in charge of a police department, and a guy showed up who didn't have his paperwork, I'd hire him anyway if I was really that understaffed. Hey, if he's not going to complain about not being paid, it's not my problem. Nothing the least bit suspicious about that that would make me want to check into it. RIGHT....

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
        Back when we met the new Owl Girl I wrote that I hoped they wouldn't go the trite route of having her be the Owl's granddaughter. Well, they didn't do that exactly, but they did make her the original Owl Girl's granddaughter. Boring and predictable! We have seen that "plot twist" so many times that it doesn't even count as a plot twist.
        I was actually OK with that. It's in a long tradition of "legacy" characters. There can be a fine line between tradition and cliche. I don't mind seeing familiar tropes trotted out now and then, it's a little nice to have a few things that are long-established conventions in the history of comics: the secret headquarters, the customized vehicle, the youthful sidekick. But you've got to throw SOME originality into it, you can't just pull bits and pieces from plots and character bits we've seen dozens or even hundreds of times and assemble a complete script out of it. You might as well buy a script-writing app if you're going to do something that robotic.

A good example of the way familiar tropes and conventions can be combined and contrasted with a whole new way of seeing things is J. Michael Straczynski's new series from Image, Sidekick. Another outstanding example is Kurt Busiek's Astro City.
        Last edited by pulphero; 10-13-2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

As an aside, has there been any mention of collecting the Owl into tpb form at all?

Comment

Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
            As an aside, has there been any mention of collecting the Owl into tpb form at all?
            Don't see any reason that they wouldn't - seems to be SOP for Dynamite.

Comment

Working...
            X