Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warren Ellis relaunches Project Superpowers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
    Unfortunately, I have no idea about what happened with the MC Forum. I have messaged Rik, whose site it is, but I have had no response, so I will try an email to him soon.
    Let me know here, will you.?? Strange it just disappeared.

    Yeah, I hope they are using the same calendar we are.!!
    I hope DE lets us know SOMETHING soon. I really am looking forward to Ellis' take on those great heroes.
    Fingers crossed he does them right. The project, if it is still coming, is, at least, four months away.

    (Oh, and I hope Magno and Davey get some major parts to play in the epic drama.)

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Magno View Post
      Let me know here, will you.?? Strange it just disappeared.
      Will do.

      Comment


      • Release date

        As it is November now it feels odd that we have heard nothing yet. I was interested in putting in a subscription order at my local comic book store, but without a date or even a name this tends to be quite difficult. When will we know?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Stoughe View Post
          As it is November now it feels odd that we have heard nothing yet. I was interested in putting in a subscription order at my local comic book store, but without a date or even a name this tends to be quite difficult. When will we know?
          If I new the answer to that right now, I'd also be at the store buying the winning Powerball ticket.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Magno View Post
            Let me know here, will you.?? Strange it just disappeared.

            Yeah, I hope they are using the same calendar we are.!!
            I hope DE lets us know SOMETHING soon. I really am looking forward to Ellis' take on those great heroes.
            Fingers crossed he does them right. The project, if it is still coming, is, at least, four months away.

            (Oh, and I hope Magno and Davey get some major parts to play in the epic drama.)
            I have had contact with Rik and he is working on it.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
              I have had contact with Rik and he is working on it.
              Working on getting the site back up or .... a new site to cover Dark Circle??
              I called in to Archie about my subscription to New Crusaders and wanted to transfer it to The Black Hood but the woman I was talking to didn't know anything about The Black Hood, or The Shield. I thought "Great. Now they are not coming out." Got on net to find out Black Hood was scheduled for February. So, I can find out little of nothing.
              Dynamite has got the Atlas ...what??
              I liked some of their books and if The Scorpion by Chaykin returns --- that would be great!!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Magno View Post
                Working on getting the site back up or .... a new site to cover Dark Circle??
                I called in to Archie about my subscription to New Crusaders and wanted to transfer it to The Black Hood but the woman I was talking to didn't know anything about The Black Hood, or The Shield. I thought "Great. Now they are not coming out." Got on net to find out Black Hood was scheduled for February. So, I can find out little of nothing.
                Dynamite has got the Atlas ...what??
                I liked some of their books and if The Scorpion by Chaykin returns --- that would be great!!
                The Forum is back up and running; I cannot answer for the Archie subscriptions department however!

                However, those new Dark Circle comics are still coming.

                I suspect that with regard to the Atlas situation, that things may not be as clear as they seem if this is just based on picking up a trademark...
                Last edited by leonmallett; 11-24-2014, 04:20 PM.

                Comment


                • I've got a feeling that since neither Dynamite nor anybody else has mentioned anything new on Project Superheroes under Ellis in a while that it's probably not happening at this point.

                  (Masks II by Cullen Bunn may be in the same boat, which is probably sinking deeper and deeper . . . )

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                    I've got a feeling that since neither Dynamite nor anybody else has mentioned anything new on Project Superheroes under Ellis in a while that it's probably not happening at this point.

                    (Masks II by Cullen Bunn may be in the same boat, which is probably sinking deeper and deeper . . . )
                    I think if DE made an official announcement (which they did) then contracts must have been signed. I can think of several instances in the past with DC and Marvel where an announcement was made far in advance of when the product actually materialized. Admittedly, there were a few that never happened as well, but it doesn't feel like it's beyond the realm of still happening. Patience is not a distinguishing virtue of fandom.

                    When did it become Project SuperHEROES?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                      I think if DE made an official announcement (which they did) then contracts must have been signed. I can think of several instances in the past with DC and Marvel where an announcement was made far in advance of when the product actually materialized. Admittedly, there were a few that never happened as well, but it doesn't feel like it's beyond the realm of still happening. Patience is not a distinguishing virtue of fandom.

                      When did it become Project SuperHEROES?
                      Typo on my part . . . I meant Superpowers. And, again, having something they originally were planning to have for "late 2014", but we're already into the February 2015 solicitations without any further word, doesn't sound very likely to be going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

                      Comment


                      • If it never happens, I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I've enjoyed quite a bit of Ellis' previous work. On the other hand, I'm not sure if, as a writer, he's the right man for this project, based on what I know of his predilections for thematic material. I'm not really sure who would be the prime viable candidates for retooling these characters, assuming that they're starting over from square one. Obviously it needs to be a name with some pulling power in the current marketplace. That would let out a number of the old-school writers, whose work would suit me fine, but would not really draw the numbers needed to make PSP a sales success. I would rather see additional time pass to find the RIGHT writer for this project, than to see it retooled and fail again, or become something unpalatable to the people who originally got excited about this idea (regardless of what their criticisms of the execution of the first iteration of PSP may have been). Above all, I would consider the number one requirement in "the RIGHT writer" to be an innate understanding of the attraction of these Golden Age characters in the first place. I don't deny Warren Ellis' skills as a writer, but that last bit gives me pause to doubt whether "he's the guy" for the job. Nevertheless, I was trying to maintain an open mind and reserve judgment until reading the actual story he produced. It's always possible a writer may reveal a new facet of himself to readers not evident in his prior work. If the PSP reboot never happens with Ellis, there are a number of writers that I could distinctly identify as having "the right stuff" (i.e., a demonstrated love and affection for Golden Age superheroes), but the problem then becomes which of these is capable of drawing the sales numbers needed to keep the title going? Perhaps somewhere out there is a rising star working on indy/creator-owned characters who has developed some sort of momentum in the marketplace, and unknown to his current fans has some great love for Golden Age comics characters? None of the current fan-favorite writers that have "drawing power" as far as sales go seem "gettable" by DE, or the ones who are don't seem suited to the subject material the way some of the old-school (and no longer "in vogue" among current readers) writers do.

                        My suspicion is that Warren Ellis was retained with the idea that he would lay the groundwork down for a rebooted PSP universe in a miniseries which (if sales allowed) would then be followed up by one of DE's less-expensive, more typical writers, hoping to retain the new readers brought onboard by Ellis. It's hard to say if this is actually a viable scenario that would work, or if the Ellis fans would just disappear as soon as he left the writer's position. Even tougher to predict whether Ellis' rebooted vision of the characters would prove satisfying to previous fans of the PSP series, or fans of the characters in general.

                        My greatest concern would be that a second failure to gain any traction in the marketplace might well put the final nail in the coffin of PSP as a concept.
                        Last edited by pulphero; 11-27-2014, 05:57 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Ellis relaunches PSP??

                          Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                          If it never happens, I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I've enjoyed quite a bit of Ellis' previous work. On the other hand, I'm not sure if, as a writer, he's the right man for this project, based on what I know of his predilections for thematic material. I'm not really sure who would be the prime viable candidates for retooling these characters, assuming that they're starting over from square one. Obviously it needs to be a name with some pulling power in the current marketplace. That would let out a number of the old-school writers, whose work would suit me fine, but would not really draw the numbers needed to make PSP a sales success. I would rather see additional time pass to find the RIGHT writer for this project, than to see it retooled and fail again, or become something unpalatable to the people who originally got excited about this idea (regardless of what their criticisms of the execution of the first iteration of PSP may have been). Above all, I would consider the number one requirement in "the RIGHT writer" to be an innate understanding of the attraction of these Golden Age characters in the first place.

                          I agree, pulp. That would be the number one requirement for "the RIGHT writer" ...that he had an innate understanding of the attraction of these Golden Age characters in the first place. Absolutely key.



                          '
                          "I don't deny Warren Ellis' skills as a writer, but that last bit gives me pause to doubt whether "he's the guy" for the job."
                          I, too, have some doubt that "he's the guy." Like you said, he does have skills as a writer but if he doesn't really understand them, the period of time they're from and/or fan affection for them.... I have concerns.


                          "Nevertheless, I was trying to maintain an open mind and reserve judgment until reading the actual story he produced. It's always possible a writer may reveal a new facet of himself to readers not evident in his prior work. If the PSP reboot never happens with Ellis, there are a number of writers that I could distinctly identify as having "the right stuff" (i.e., a demonstrated love and affection for Golden Age superheroes), but the problem then becomes which of these is capable of drawing the sales numbers needed to keep the title going? Perhaps somewhere out there is a rising star working on indy/creator-owned characters who has developed some sort of momentum in the marketplace, and unknown to his current fans has some great love for Golden Age comics characters? None of the current fan-favorite writers that have "drawing power" as far as sales go seem "gettable" by DE, or the ones who are don't seem suited to the subject material the way some of the old-school (and no longer "in vogue" among current readers) writers do."

                          I keep wondering why DE doesn't contact Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway. I can't think of anyone who loves the Golden Age characters quite as much. On those grounds alone, I would have, at the very least, thought that Roy would be on the short list. He's said he's interested in doing something like this.
                          If I was DE, I would have contacted Roy to edit the first (abortion) PSP run. To me, in was almost unbelievable of DE to want to establish these heroes as their "Universe" and have such a shoddy project.
                          PSP could have been the FOUNDATION of the DE Universe. (but I repeat myself.)


                          "My suspicion is that Warren Ellis was retained with the idea that he would lay the groundwork down for a rebooted PSP universe in a miniseries which (if sales allowed) would then be followed up by one of DE's less-expensive, more typical writers, hoping to retain the new readers brought onboard by Ellis. It's hard to say if this is actually a viable scenario that would work, or if the Ellis fans would just disappear as soon as he left the writer's position. Even tougher to predict whether Ellis' rebooted vision of the characters would prove satisfying to previous fans of the PSP series, or fans of the characters in general".

                          I agree with you on every count. Good points, all. But if Ellis' rebooted vision would satisfy the previous fans and the fans in general with the "right" artist and exciting ads....and then, maybe someone LIKE Roy Thomas (or even Thomas himself) might catch the baton and make things "work".
                          (See how delusional one can get after waiting all this time for PSP to be successful??)

                          "My greatest concern would be that a second failure to gain any traction in the marketplace might well put the final nail in the coffin of PSP as a concept."

                          I'm with you. My greatest concern, also.

                          To me, it would really be a shame. Such potential gone to the boneyard of comic book history.!!
                          Last edited by Magno; 12-06-2014, 09:31 PM.

                          Comment


                          • No disrespect to Ellis, but I'd rather see someone who writes superheroes more mainstream, as opposed to Ellis's darker take. I'm thinking someone like Kurt Busiek or Roger Stern or Mark Waid. John Ostrander would be another good pick.

                            Regarding artists, I'd go with a veteran like Darryl Banks, Sal Velluto, or Tom Grummett.

                            Comment


                            • Writers and artists!!

                              Originally posted by DamonO View Post
                              No disrespect to Ellis, but I'd rather see someone who writes superheroes more mainstream, as opposed to Ellis's darker take. I'm thinking someone like Kurt Busiek or Roger Stern or Mark Waid. John Ostrander would be another good pick.

                              Regarding artists, I'd go with a veteran like Darryl Banks, Sal Velluto, or Tom Grummett.
                              I would be HAPPY with your choices. I would especially like Grummett but that's just me.

                              Comment


                              • Another vote for Tom Grummett! One of the most underrated/underappreciated artists in the biz, and a consummate choice for the superhero genre.
                                I'm on board with all those suggestions for writers, too -- and I'd add a couple more like Chuck Dixon and Tim Truman (better known as an artist, true... but a surprisingly capable writer, as well).

                                I think all these guys would do a great job, and probably make the audience that was drawn to the original PSP series happy. The bigger question is whether they'd draw NEW fans from the largely untapped potential audience of current comic book consumers. By my sensibilities all these guys are extremely talented, but unfortunately in today's marketplace, I don't think any of them have the "celebrity name" status to draw a mostly-younger crowd of readers not familiar with their previous body of work. In a perfect world, a quality product would sell itself, but in the real comic book marketplace there are more intangible factors necessary to lure in those readers not already predisposed to read a comic just because it features Golden Age superheroes, and ones that remain largely unknown to an audience not steeped in comic book history.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X