Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warren Ellis relaunches Project Superpowers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another top writer choice would be James Robinson. He certainly has an affinity for golden-age characters in the modern day, and with the New Invaders series (unfortunately) ending, he might be available.

Comment

• I agree with... well, everyone over the last day or so. That's the kind of universe I'd like to see more of.

Comment

• James Robinson might be the ideal candidate for the writer of a new PSP series, if he were available, and the chances of him being available seem better than most other possibilities (with BOTH All New Invaders and Fantastic Four concluding their runs soon). He would bring a current fanbase of his followers with him, which in his particular instance would seem to be larger than some of the other quite capable old-school writers, and I think someone of Robinson's reputation would be about as close to a "superstar writer" as Dynamite could afford, that would also have a predisposition to write Golden Age characters.

I'm going to say... I think James Robinson might be the most practical suggestion (with all the specific qualifications for this particular job) that I've heard so far.
        Last edited by pulphero; 12-08-2014, 12:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          Another vote for Tom Grummett! One of the most underrated/underappreciated artists in the biz, and a consummate choice for the superhero genre.
          I'm on board with all those suggestions for writers, too -- and I'd add a couple more like Chuck Dixon and Tim Truman (better known as an artist, true... but a surprisingly capable writer, as well).

I think all these guys would do a great job, and probably make the audience that was drawn to the original PSP series happy. The bigger question is whether they'd draw NEW fans from the largely untapped potential audience of current comic book consumers. By my sensibilities all these guys are extremely talented, but unfortunately in today's marketplace, I don't think any of them have the "celebrity name" status to draw a mostly-younger crowd of readers not familiar with their previous body of work. In a perfect world, a quality product would sell itself, but in the real comic book marketplace there are more intangible factors necessary to lure in those readers not already predisposed to read a comic just because it features Golden Age superheroes, and ones that remain largely unknown to an audience not steeped in comic book history.
          Maybe getting Alex Ross to draw the first issue or two and making comicdom aware with a great ad campaign would help.!!
          Alex could be very presuasive in the marketplace.
          And if someone like Chuck Dixon was writing-- or even trying to get someone like Frank Quitely or some other big name to do a few issues (maybe a big name is between books/assignments and could squeeze out an issue or two).... AND ...get an artist like Grummett to continue the books so there wouldn't be a significant drop in art quality...I just think it could "work".

But we've offered suggestions to DE for years about PSP.... and Ellis is what they are going to give us.

...If we even get him. Things are still very quiet.

DE just doesn't listen to our pleas. We are ...very nearly...hopeless ...because they can't put this together.
          Is this some masterbational (made it up so it doesn't sound so bad) exercise we fans continue to do... ??

I don't think our suggestions are that far "out of order". I think there are always a segment of the comic fans ready to jump on a new line.... if that line gives them good stories and art.

How many years has it been?? And Nick won't ....

Comment

• Robinson a good choice!!

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
            James Robinson might be the ideal candidate for the writer of a new PSP series, if he were available, and the chances of him being available seem better than most other possibilities (with BOTH All New Invaders and Fantastic Four concluding their runs soon). He would bring a current fanbase of his followers with him, which in his particular instance would seem to be larger than some of the other quite capable old-school writers, and I think someone of Robinson's reputation would be about as close to a "superstar writer" as Dynamite could afford, that would also have a predisposition to write Golden Age characters.

I'm going to say... I think James Robinson might be the most practical suggestion (with all the specific qualifications for this particular job) that I've heard so far.
            Yeah, I would be perfectly fine with James Robinson. THE GOLDEN AGE is a classic.
            He struggled a bit with the New Invaders. (Sorry to say.)

(Action figure fans click on red letters.)

Yes, Nick...we love Daredevil, Black Terror and Silver Streak!!
            Last edited by Magno; 12-08-2014, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Despite the fact that All New Invaders featured relatively well-known and popular Golden Age characters (as compared to PSP), and the fact that it still couldn't generate enough sales to sustain itself as an ongoing series, there's a big difference between the kind of numbers Marvel has to sell to justify printing a comic book, and the kind of numbers Dynamite has to sell to do the same, so I think Robinson (and the sales he'd bring with him to DE) would still represent a relatively big fish in a small pond.

That's if the Ellis reboot is stalled, and isn't happening after all. Or maybe they have a particular artist in mind that they're pursuing, and are waiting for the schedules of Ellis and the selected artist to align. Or maybe there were a couple of tentative pairings that didn't work out in that area, and that's what's taking so long.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magno View Post
                Maybe getting Alex Ross to draw the first issue or two and making comicdom aware with a great ad campaign would help.!!
                Alex could be very presuasive in the marketplace.
                But how many people are turned off and drop titles when they get Alex Ross art for the first issue, then some less-than-well-known artists for the remaining issues?

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                  But how many people are turned off and drop titles when they get Alex Ross art for the first issue, then some less-than-well-known artists for the remaining issues?
                  That's why they need to be upfront and very apparent Ross is only doing a couple of issues. People who collect him would grab it and might stay.
                  Last edited by Ghornet2; 12-08-2014, 10:39 PM.
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Nick, what's up?? Where is Mr. Ellis?? what's happening with PSP??

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    Despite the fact that All New Invaders featured relatively well-known and popular Golden Age characters (as compared to PSP), and the fact that it still couldn't generate enough sales to sustain itself as an ongoing series, there's a big difference between the kind of numbers Marvel has to sell to justify printing a comic book, and the kind of numbers Dynamite has to sell to do the same, so I think Robinson (and the sales he'd bring with him to DE) would still represent a relatively big fish in a small pond.

That's if the Ellis reboot is stalled, and isn't happening after all. Or maybe they have a particular artist in mind that they're pursuing, and are waiting for the schedules of Ellis and the selected artist to align. Or maybe there were a couple of tentative pairings that didn't work out in that area, and that's what's taking so long.
                    Somehow, I would think that Nick should give us (the hard-core PSP fans) a little information on what's happening.
                    ...to give us a little hope that things are still moving forward.

Comment

• Just checking in seeing if there's any updates with PSP. Also I really hope there isn't a full reboot.... I want Black Terror to still have his ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                        That's why they need to be upfront and very apparent Ross is only doing a couple of issues. People who collect him would grab it and might stay.
                        That's our hope. Thanks, Ghornet.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishX View Post
                          Just checking in seeing if there's any updates with PSP. Also I really hope there isn't a full reboot.... I want Black Terror to still have his ship.
                          No real updates except there have been no updates, so the end of the year target suggested by DE has been missed. We have no indication of the extent of reboot that will occur.

Comment

• Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
                            No real updates except there have been no updates, so the end of the year target suggested by DE has been missed. We have no indication of the extent of reboot that will occur.
                            Or if or even when.

That's the most frustrating part. There seems to be some support for this but they are leaving us in the dark.
                            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                              Or if or even when.

That's the most frustrating part. There seems to be some support for this but they are leaving us in the dark.
                              Indeed. No doubt I will be criticised by some for voicing this opinion, but to me it seems pretty representative of the ad hoc approach that DE takes as a whole.

Comment

• Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
                                Indeed. No doubt I will be criticised by some for voicing this opinion, but to me it seems pretty representative of the ad hoc approach that DE takes as a whole.
                                Nah . . . I'm pretty frustrated by several projects Dynamite announced and then there was nothing more about them. Masks II was also mentioned as "end of 2014", but . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X