Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Superpowers: Can we maybe get a Prequel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Superpowers: Can we maybe get a Prequel?

What I'd really love to see is a prequel book to Project Superpowers. A book set back in the Golden Age, before all the heroes were trapped in the jar and maybe had their powers go wonky or their minds changed / controlled.

I doubt the chances of this are any good, but it would be even better if we had issues that focused on individual characters with both a new story set in the past and a Golden Age adventure reprinted to round out the issue.

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What I'd really love to see is a prequel book to Project Superpowers. A book set back in the Golden Age, before all the heroes were trapped in the jar and maybe had their powers go wonky or their minds changed / controlled.

I doubt the chances of this are any good, but it would be even better if we had issues that focused on individual characters with both a new story set in the past and a Golden Age adventure reprinted to round out the issue.
    Doubt we'll see that seeing as how the new book is a reboot that will focus on a new origin and whatnot, it would appear what we loved and knew before is all lost.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
      Doubt we'll see that seeing as how the new book is a reboot that will focus on a new origin and whatnot, it would appear what we loved and knew before is all lost.
      Consider the fact that the original PSP was actually a "reboot" of public domain Golden Age characters. SOME of the events of that series took place during the Golden Age, so I imagine that Ellis' "reboot 2.0" will likely do the same. You're correct that they've been pretty unequivocal about the fact that this is a reboot, so there wouldn't be any continuity (pre- or post-) with events of Chapter 1 and 2.

Comment

I kind of like what they did with Twelve over at Marvel. A small group of heroes (20 at most) get thrown into suspended animation. One of the problems with P:SP was the incredible number of heroes involved. Maybe Black Terror never gets put in Suspended Animation, maybe the process that gave him his powers lengthened his life?

I'd like to see them touch on a couple of things like meeting relative who though they had died and meeting relatives (or just heroes) who have carried on their name/beliefs and maybe perverted them.
        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

...and you say this even knowing that a standard-format comic with Golden Age reprints is like a Kiss of Death in today's marketplace?

That's Dynamite straying into AC Comics territory, and AC Comics sales levels. You should probably just comb through AC Comics' website for those Golden Age reprints you're looking for. They'll be pretty pricey on a per-page basis for black & white reproduction, but people that really really really want those stories have to foot the going rate. Or wait and see if somewhere down the line Dark Horse Archives follows up on its Golden Age reprints of Green Lama Comics, Captain Midnight, Silver Streak Comics, and Daredevil Comics, with reprints of the Black Terror or other PSP characters.

Comment

Honestly, what put me off of PSP was ... the basic premise of the heroes being trapped in suspended animation till now. I'm missing the classic "Golden Age heroes had their adventures, got older, had legacy heroes or kids, inspired others, world more or less like ours but with super-heroes, and now heroes in the present day" concept that DC used to do very much right now.

That doesn't mean I expect Dynamite to do it my way just to suit me, as lots of people loved PSP.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
              Honestly, what put me off of PSP was ... the basic premise of the heroes being trapped in suspended animation till now. I'm missing the classic "Golden Age heroes had their adventures, got older, had legacy heroes or kids, inspired others, world more or less like ours but with super-heroes, and now heroes in the present day" concept that DC used to do very much right now.

That doesn't mean I expect Dynamite to do it my way just to suit me, as lots of people loved PSP.
              The Legacy route is the "DC standard" of dealing with Golden Age heroes in the modern age. The "Suspended Animation" route is used just as frequently, by almost everyone else. I guess you could call it the "Marvel standard" by virtue of Captain America being the first to use that trope, but it's been used by plenty of other companies and characters as well. I guess the one problem with the Legacy trope is it's a lot less convincing if not established over a long span of publishing time. That Legacy thing wasn't in evidence when DC brought back the JSA in the Silver Age after not having published them for a decade. They were older, mostly retired and gotten married in the interim, but not so much time had passed (on Earth-2, that is) that other younger people had taken on their identities. When DC melded its universes together post COIE, now you had a "generational inspiration" thing going on that was retroactively analogous to the "next generational" aspects of the JLA-Titans relationship; Geoff Johns really expanded on that concept beyond the old Gerry Conway "All Star Super Squad" pre-Crisis idea. If you just start a series based on Golden Age characters, then just reveal that they've all been around for decades, got married, had kids and grandkids and various proteges carrying on their heroic identity into the present, it doesn't work as well the suspended animation "sudden return" approach because the latter has that "so THAT's what really happened to them; why they disappeared for all those years!" factor to evoke verisimilitude. That other "oh yeah, all this stuff has been going on all these decades, you just weren't paying attention" doesn't play with the idea of a wide gap in these characters' publishing histories.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                The Legacy route is the "DC standard" of dealing with Golden Age heroes in the modern age . . .
                WAS a DC standard . . . all that pretty much got thrown under the bus with the New 52 (though there are maybe a couple of exceptions).

Comment

WAS a DC standard . . . all that pretty much got thrown under the bus with the New 52 (though there are maybe a couple of exceptions).
                  No, you're absolutely correct. Past tense. The only "exceptions" I can think of involve Batman, Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, and Damian. I think Tim Drake has been deleted from the "Batman protege" list. Still, none of these has anything to do with a "Golden Age" or historical first wave of heroes in the past.

The Stargirl thing is vague, but I'm betting she turns out to be the stepdaughter of an Earth 2 refugee.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 06-03-2014, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Which is why I'd love to see it somewhere.

Of course, it might be nice to just have a series starring these characters in the past, without reference to their future (our present) for a while, and see where it goes, but, well, I'm assuming that's not part of the plan.

Comment

...and you say this even knowing that a standard-format comic with Golden Age reprints is like a Kiss of Death in today's marketplace?

That's Dynamite straying into AC Comics territory, and AC Comics sales levels. You should probably just comb through AC Comics' website for those Golden Age reprints you're looking for. They'll be pretty pricey on a per-page basis for black & white reproduction, but people that really really really want those stories have to foot the going rate. Or wait and see if somewhere down the line Dark Horse Archives follows up on its Golden Age reprints of Green Lama Comics, Captain Midnight, Silver Streak Comics, and Daredevil Comics, with reprints of the Black Terror or other PSP characters.
                      By the way, considering how short many of those Golden Age stories were, that's why I suggested a new story and a Golden Age story. The issue would be mostly new material, with a maybe 8-or-9 page back-up.

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                      Which is why I'd love to see it somewhere.

Of course, it might be nice to just have a series starring these characters in the past, without reference to their future (our present) for a while, and see where it goes, but, well, I'm assuming that's not part of the plan.
                      They don't have a past anymore . . . it's been erased / deleted by the New 52.

And, honestly, I don't know if I'd trust DC to do a book with the JSA / Golden Age heroes back in WWII the right way anymore . . . only a few old-time writers would be likely to pull it off in a way I'd appreciate.

Comment

They don't have a past anymore . . . it's been erased / deleted by the New 52.

And, honestly, I don't know if I'd trust DC to do a book with the JSA / Golden Age heroes back in WWII the right way anymore . . . only a few old-time writers would be likely to pull it off in a way I'd appreciate.
                        Major, I think the context of Chast's comments was that he'd like to see the Legacy thing "somewhere" (since it isn't possible at DC any more); i.e. he'd like to see it at Dynamite with that Project Superpowers reboot.
                        Last edited by pulphero; 06-04-2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

By the way, considering how short many of those Golden Age stories were, that's why I suggested a new story and a Golden Age story. The issue would be mostly new material, with a maybe 8-or-9 page back-up.
                          Well, they tried that with THUN'DA. Doesn't seem to have helped sales much on that series. The only other GA reprints I can remember from DE were in Green Hornet Golden Age Remastered. It sold horribly.

You don't see Marvel and DC doing Golden Age reprints in regular comics any more, you don't see Dark Horse or IDW or Image doing it, either (regardless of the many public domain stories available). It should occur that there is a reason for this. In fact, it isn't Golden Age reprints specifically that are not wanted, it's all reprints from any time period. They are segregated to the hardcover collections, and less often, to trade paperbacks.

The average comic consumer today wants to buy only new (or quite recent, within the last 10 years) material.
                          Last edited by pulphero; 06-04-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Major, I think the context of Chast's comments was that he'd like to see the Legacy thing "somewhere" (since it isn't possible at DC any more); i.e. he'd like to see it at Dynamite with that Project Superpowers reboot.
                            Exactly.

10char

Comment

Working...
                            X