Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackcross

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blackcross

    Read issue 1 and I'm not that thrilled.

    Art was okay, to gritty for me but really not that bad.

    The story seemed to have little (probably nothing) to do with what came before so I'm guessing a reboot. Not much seemed to happen. There was very little to grab my interest. I'll be back next issue but I'm not sure past there.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
    Read issue 1 and I'm not that thrilled.

    Art was okay, to gritty for me but really not that bad.

    The story seemed to have little (probably nothing) to do with what came before so I'm guessing a reboot. Not much seemed to happen. There was very little to grab my interest. I'll be back next issue but I'm not sure past there.
    Yeah, I agree. The art reminded me of the sort of thing going on in Archie right now with their Dark Circle work and Afterlife stuff: gritty/horror. Don't mind it myself.

    But the story felt like a zero issue or something other than a first issue. Such an abbreviated set up for the story that it really didn't satisfy. I don't mind the reboot of the characters, but it's got to have more meat to it than this. My fear is this is going to be really decompressed with a quick final issue wrap up that's meant to springboard into future books. But if it dissatisfies, none of that will matter.

    I like Ellis' work quite a bit; but he's going to have to step it up from this if this reboot's to succeed.

    Comment


    • #3
      My takeaway from the first issue is that the story in the town of Blackcross is taking place in the "real world" (for lack of a better term), and that the PSP universe characters are somehow crossing over with their "real world" counterparts. Remains to be seen whether I'm reading that correctly, but I guess the next issue will probably tell.

      BTW, BLACKCROSS #1 sold out at the distributor level before it even shipped, so we should probably be seeing a second printing solicited soon.
      Last edited by pulphero; 03-09-2015, 02:07 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        So....I'm confused to say the least. I mean, is Black Cross the much anticipated Warren Ellis book touted by Dynamite when he signed on? Is it a relaunch, reboot, or does it connect to what came before? Is this going to be it from Warren or is he doing a true chapter 3? So many questions and not enough answers.

        This is what pisses me off about Dynamite the most. They are always in the gray area and never shine enough light on what's going on, instead they allude, hint, or outright don't tell you at all. More people would be interested if they knew what was going on.
        Last edited by BslytheGamerGuy; 03-12-2015, 08:20 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Just read the first issue and it was good if not a little vague. I loved the art and the pacing but I still feel in the dark as to wheth or not this is a reboot or a new chapter in an existing saga that we've already been a part of. I hope the second issue can shed some light or someone in creative would just come out and say so.

          All in all a very good first issue.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've been reading reviews for this book and it appears as if it's almost universally considered a reboot with no apparent connection to what came before. It makes sense when you read it because of the way they make references to naming superheroes as if it's just catching on and that "their time is now". Very interesting....

            Comment


            • #7
              What an issue! Loved the silence at the beginning with the guy lighting himself on fire and loved the pacing of this story, so glad to have it back! This is just a mini tho, is this all we are getting for PS?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BslytheGamerGuy View Post
                So....I'm confused to say the least. I mean, is Black Cross the much anticipated Warren Ellis book touted by Dynamite when he signed on? Is it a relaunch, reboot, or does it connect to what came before? Is this going to be it from Warren or is he doing a true chapter 3? So many questions and not enough answers.

                This is what pisses me off about Dynamite the most. They are always in the gray area and never shine enough light on what's going on, instead they allude, hint, or outright don't tell you at all. More people would be interested if they knew what was going on.
                Simple answer: Yes, this is exactly what DE promised, Warren Ellis' version of PSP.

                Does it connect to what came before? I think it does -- if maybe not in a way you expect it to. Warren Ellis is not the type of writer to spell everything out for you in captions in the first issue. Keep reading, and I'm sure you'll have a better idea of what's what when it's all over.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  Simple answer: Yes, this is exactly what DE promised, Warren Ellis' version of PSP.

                  Does it connect to what came before? I think it does -- if maybe not in a way you expect it to. Warren Ellis is not the type of writer to spell everything out for you in captions in the first issue. Keep reading, and I'm sure you'll have a better idea of what's what when it's all over.
                  Project Superpowers: Blackcross #2 isnít a superhero comic - at least not yet. Warren Ellis, Colton Worley, and Morgan Hickman have taken the tried and true concept of Project Superpowers and molded it into something aimed at todayís comic reading populace. Blackcross may be Dynamiteís first made for tv drama and, of course, it was presented to us by Warren Ellis. Though the heavily serialized nature of the narrative may hurt its audience in the short term, Project Superpowers: Blackcross has the potential to be yet another blockbuster franchise for Dynamite Comics.

                  Lady Satan, The Flame, Black Terror, Daredevil and the American Spirit.... eeriely come together at Blackcross.!!
                  I'm finding it an interesting read and already hate the fact that Ellis is leaving after six.

                  I really like the story so far. (Just finished #2.) I had to smile about the "Formic Ethers", the explosion page, the symbolic skull and crossbones on "Benton". And the green mist on the page that, at first glance, seemed to show The Black Terror in his cave headquarters --- (and to turn the page upside down !!) --- in all of its eerie green mist just made it 'so cool.'
                  The 'glimpses' Mari is having of an eerie figure walking through that green mist... and of a walking man of flames in the woods-- Bart Hill waking up -- and ALL of the other stuff that happens in the issue is just plain fun.

                  This is, as far as I can remember, one of the best written stories from DE that I can remember reading.
                  The pacing is excellent. The art is really good. (usually one of my big complaints of DE books that I pick up.)

                  The hints at and the tantalizingly close proximity of our Golden Age heroes just puts a smile on my face that's hard to wipe off. The violent death of the Marshal was handled well, too. (except it seemed he was driving on the wrong side of the road which I couldn't figure out.)
                  Seems the 'jailer' doesn't want some of our heroes 'out'.
                  This is a good story so far. I hope our heroes escape into the 'real' world of DE. I'm along for the ride.
                  Thumbs up, so far, from me.
                  Last edited by Magno; 04-04-2015, 12:35 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Definitely liked this better than the first issue. There's a real mystery here going on as to why the heroes need to be reborn into the world - as well as why the American Spirit is trying to keep them out of it. It's suggestive of the first Project Superpowers series, but a really, really sinister and compelling take on things. Really interested in seeing how this plays out.

                    Anybody have any idea what the plans are for these characters after this series? I hope they take this bit of world-building Ellis is doing and develop it. I'd definitely like to see someone like Failkov or Jenkins develop what Ellis is setting up (if Ellis can't continue).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BslytheGamerGuy View Post
                      I've been reading reviews for this book and it appears as if it's almost universally considered a reboot with no apparent connection to what came before. It makes sense when you read it because of the way they make references to naming superheroes as if it's just catching on and that "their time is now". Very interesting....
                      Well, "apparent" would be the key word there. Whether it's apparent or not is completely subjective according to the individual reader.

                      My take on all this (after reading issue #2), and I may be wrong, but this is my reading of the situation thus far...

                      We're dealing with a situation of parallel worlds here, not unlike DC's old Earth 1/Earth 2. However, this tale is being told from the POV of a universe I will refer to as "the Real World" (for lack of a better term), and it is being told somewhat in the mode of an X-Files story. There exists a parallel universe to the Real World, one which (according to the solicitation copy in the "next issue" box) we will call "The Other World". The Other World is the PSP universe that we were previously familiar with, in the original series. The small town of Blackcross seems to be a nexus point between two realities, a place where the barrier between universes is thinnest, and stuff from The Other World is trying to seep through a permeable membrane separating the universes to align with its parallel counterparts in The Real World. We have already seen, in The Real World, the parallel counterparts of Bart Hill (The Death-Defying Devil), Bob Benton (Black Terror) and Gary Preston (The Flame). The American Spirit is already there in The Real World, but it seems he has been charged with keeping the two universes apart and distinct from each other, with keeping things from The Other World behind that barrier between universes.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                        Well, "apparent" would be the key word there. Whether it's apparent or not is completely subjective according to the individual reader.

                        My take on all this (after reading issue #2), and I may be wrong, but this is my reading of the situation thus far...

                        We're dealing with a situation of parallel worlds here, not unlike DC's old Earth 1/Earth 2. However, this tale is being told from the POV of a universe I will refer to as "the Real World" (for lack of a better term), and it is being told somewhat in the mode of an X-Files story. There exists a parallel universe to the Real World, one which (according to the solicitation copy in the "next issue" box) we will call "The Other World". The Other World is the PSP universe that we were previously familiar with, in the original series. The small town of Blackcross seems to be a nexus point between two realities, a place where the barrier between universes is thinnest, and stuff from The Other World is trying to seep through a permeable membrane separating the universes to align with its parallel counterparts in The Real World. We have already seen, in The Real World, the parallel counterparts of Bart Hill (The Death-Defying Devil), Bob Benton (Black Terror) and Gary Preston (The Flame). The American Spirit is already there in The Real World, but it seems he has been charged with keeping the two universes apart and distinct from each other, with keeping things from The Other World behind that barrier between universes.
                        I think that's a pretty good 'take' on Black Cross.!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Magno View Post
                          Project Superpowers: Blackcross #2 isnít a superhero comic - at least not yet. Warren Ellis, Colton Worley, and Morgan Hickman have taken the tried and true concept of Project Superpowers and molded it into something aimed at todayís comic reading populace. Blackcross may be Dynamiteís first made for tv drama and, of course, it was presented to us by Warren Ellis. Though the heavily serialized nature of the narrative may hurt its audience in the short term, Project Superpowers: Blackcross has the potential to be yet another blockbuster franchise for Dynamite Comics.

                          Lady Satan, The Flame, Black Terror, Daredevil and the American Spirit.... eeriely come together at Blackcross.!!
                          I'm finding it an interesting read and already hate the fact that Ellis is leaving after six.

                          I really like the story so far. (Just finished #2.) I had to smile about the "Formic Ethers", the explosion page, the symbolic skull and crossbones on "Benton". And the green mist on the page that, at first glance, seemed to show The Black Terror in his cave headquarters --- (and to turn the page upside down !!) --- in all of its eerie green mist just made it 'so cool.'
                          The 'glimpses' Mari is having of an eerie figure walking through that green mist... and of a walking man of flames in the woods-- Bart Hill waking up -- and ALL of the other stuff that happens in the issue is just plain fun.

                          This is, as far as I can remember, one of the best written stories from DE that I can remember reading.
                          The pacing is excellent. The art is really good. (usually one of my big complaints of DE books that I pick up.)

                          The hints at and the tantalizingly close proximity of our Golden Age heroes just puts a smile on my face that's hard to wipe off. The violent death of the Marshal was handled well, too. (except it seemed he was driving on the wrong side of the road which I couldn't figure out.)
                          Seems the 'jailer' doesn't want some of our heroes 'out'.
                          This is a good story so far. I hope our heroes escape into the 'real' world of DE. I'm along for the ride.
                          Thumbs up, so far, from me.
                          Totally agreed that so far it isn't a super-hero book; I would describe it as a supernatural thriller. And i can see your view of it as a template for a TV event series.

                          It doesn't feel like a blockbuster to me, and I am amazed at the number of variant covers - it is surely hard to say how successful it is given the vast number of those variants in issues 1 and 2.

                          The pacing seems to be predicated on putting the players and pieces in place, but given the source material behind this series, I think there is a risk in leaving the reveal of costumed characters for too long. I am in for the long haul, but where that goes I am unsure at present, or even how long the premise that Ellis is setting up will or can be sustained.

                          It reminds in some ways of Ellis' work on re-imagining the New Universe characters through newuniversal, and that has stood up to repeated re-readings for me. Hopefully this will be the same.

                          The art I am mixed on; at times I feel it conveys great atmosphere, at others I just find it quite rough. Not terrible, but not wowing me either.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Was Ellis' take on Supreme any good? How did it turn out?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                              Was Ellis' take on Supreme any good? How did it turn out?
                              I had no idea what you were talking about. So I did some checking, and found that the Image title SUPREME BLUE ROSE is actually some kind of weird reboot of Alan Moore's SUPREME... so in order to get some idea, I looked for the trade paperback on Amazon. Not out until mid-July -- so no reviews yet. However, the accompanying description of the collection sounds eerily similar to BLACKCROSS, almost like the stories could be Siamese Twins.

                              "You are not dreaming. We are trying to communicate with you. Local reality has been reinstalled. Things have gone wrong. The revision has corrupted. Finding Ethan Crane is your supreme priority. Do not trust Darius Dax. We are all going to die." Supreme: Blue Rose re-introduces the central Image Comics character Supreme, in a multi-layered and often hallucinatory mystery presented by New York Times bestselling writer Warren Ellis and acclaimed new artist Tula Lotay in her astonishing graphic novel debut.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X