No announcement yet.

Blackcross

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Between an ending that made the previous five issues seem sort of pointless and the fact that this doesn't seem to be setting anything up for any future possibilities, all I can wonder is "What the hell was Dynamite thinking here?"

(I also think I'll probably stay away from any other comic books written by Warren Ellis.)

Comment

Originally posted by jsf View Post
      Wow, that was a crappy ending to a series that promised to be a reboot of the franchise. It was if they decided to tell the fans "FU" for not supporting the series.

So here's what we wound up with:

* No real explanation of the why the characters were exiled from one world to the other

* The suggestion that the "heroes" aren't really heroes, but villains who apparently did something bad enough to deserve their banishment (while American Spirit is certainly an unreliable narrator, Black Terror seemed to confirm it by his own words)

* Several of the characters being killed (which really seems to defeat the point of the reboot, doesn't it?)

* A bleak ending suggesting despair and weariness, and that suicide is the appropriate response to such things (but hey, it makes for a nice moment that parallels the open scene in the first issue, right? Life and death and all that, right? Ugh. Heavy handed and more suggestive of Ellis' lack of interest in this project than anything else).

The ONLY thing about this that was even remotely worth praising was the art -- Colton Worley really did turn in some amazing and moody pages.

But overall, this was horrible. So much so that I'm pretty much uninterested in whatever Dynamite might have in mind for these characters in the future. I love the golden age -- and I've always been interested in the public domain heroes -- but this was rubbish, to the point that it seems Dynamite poisoned the well on their own iterations of these characters. No way would I be interested in a sequel to such a pessimistic and cynical take on these characters.
      I totally agree with pretty much every point, except the art - I found that confusing and unclear at times.

A very poor end to an ill-conceived book and reboot premise in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
        Between an ending that made the previous five issues seem sort of pointless and the fact that this doesn't seem to be setting anything up for any future possibilities, all I can wonder is "What the hell was Dynamite thinking here?"

(I also think I'll probably stay away from any other comic books written by Warren Ellis.)
        Indeed; what was the goal for DE? That seems very unclear.

This nihilistic take just did not delver anything really.

The heroes oo villains thing just seemed dropped in there with little real context for what passed before the crossed over.

In essence, 6 issues to tell a very sketchy story with a lot of gaps in it, where nothing happened, and that delivered a pretty poor (IMHO) pay-off.
        Last edited by leonmallett; 12-19-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
          I totally agree with pretty much every point, except the art - I found that confusing and unclear at times.
          While I'm not quite a fan of the art, it was appropriately dark and moody and helped set the tone for this murky tale.

That said, it was also a problem for the last issue, where dark, shadowy art doesn't help tell what's happening in a dark, night-time setting . . . it was hard to know who was who and what happened to who in several of those scenes.

Comment

While I'm not quite a fan of the art, it was appropriately dark and moody and helped set the tone for this murky tale.

That said, it was also a problem for the last issue, where dark, shadowy art doesn't help tell what's happening in a dark, night-time setting . . . it was hard to know who was who and what happened to who in several of those scenes.
            Agreed; tonally right for the mood, but the dark colours and at times unclear delineation was what I struggled with.

Comment

Up to issue 5 this felt very much like it was setting a framework for new PSP stuff (albeit terminally slowly); after further thought, issue 6 felt to me like they (DE) abandoned that as a lost cause and simply let Ellis end it however he wanted to, as if no future related material will be published. I may be wrong, but that is how it feels to me.

Comment

Up to issue 5 this felt very much like it was setting a framework for new PSP stuff (albeit terminally slowly); after further thought, issue 6 felt to me like they (DE) abandoned that as a lost cause and simply let Ellis end it however he wanted to, as if no future related material will be published.
                I hope there are no future issues that are related to this . . . unless somebody is going to write a story clarifying what the hell happened in this muddled mess and why it really matters.

Comment

I suspect this was the last roll of the Project Superpowers dice and our future concerns may be moot. I could be wrong, but my gut tells me DE are not going to try again.

Comment

I suspect this was the last roll of the Project Superpowers dice and our future concerns may be moot. I could be wrong, but my gut tells me DE are not going to try again.
                    You're probably right. I just wish some of the characters, like Miss Masque / Masquerade, would show up again elsewhere some time in the future.

Comment

You're probably right. I just wish some of the characters, like Miss Masque / Masquerade, would show up again elsewhere some time in the future.
                      I think that is a possibility, with the likes of the Masks series; I just don't expect the Project Superpowers collective to be attempted again.

On another note, two iterations in and neither has really had an adequate explanation for why it is called Project Superpowers....
                      Last edited by leonmallett; 04-06-2016, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I wished that DE didn't give up on these Golden Age Heroes, yet.!!

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                        Warren Ellis was probably just not the right guy for PSP. He's certainly capable of some good work, but at heart, he's just really not a superhero guy (nor are other Brit writers like Garth Ennis or Pat Mills). That's just not their roots, where they came from. To write a PSP series requires a writer who's an unabashed superhero fanboy at heart, because that's basically the only real audience for these characters.

They should go back to first principles on this thing, and get Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek to co-plot a new series (with Busiek dialoguing), picking a solid somewhat-retro traditional superhero artist like Tom Grummet or Paul Pelletier or Carlos Pacheco, someone like that. What's needed here is counterprogramming to all the heavy downbeat sturm und drang superhero comics out there, something essentially more upbeat and hopeful. That's your basic audience for PSP, older superhero fans that Marvel and DC has pretty much left out in the cold, the only ones left who care much about Golden Age superheroes. It may be too late at this point, with BLACKCROSS they might have staked it to death.

If that's not a viable model sales-wise, then just let it die, rather than try to turn it into something it's not.
                        Yeah, I agree with your points.
                        I certainly agree with your choice of writer(s) and artists ... especially Tom Grummet.
                        I think you hit some very solid points.
                        Probably the only point I'd disagree with is that it's 'too late.'
                        If they followed your suggestions, ... I think Dynamite could make the idea of returning 'some' of the Golden Age Heroes a reality.
                        Or maybe ... I'm just too blinded by the fact that I think there are a lot of stories left in these old Golden Age Heroes ... yet.
                        Last edited by Magno; 03-03-2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I took advantage of Dynamite's holiday sale on Comixology to complete this. I was missing the last two issues.

It did feel like they were leading up to something and even though the series had ended several months before, I was excited to see what might be hinted at. But then it all hit the ground with a big thud in the last issue. Being that precious little about these characters has been said since the end of this series, you're probably right that Project Superpowers as we knew it is officially dead.

Too bad this didn't come out better. Interesting attempt though. Felt the same about Masks 2. There have been some good ideas but they haven't quite been able to hit the landing.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                            . . . It did feel like they were leading up to something and even though the series had ended several months before, I was excited to see what might be hinted at. But then it all hit the ground with a big thud in the last issue. Being that precious little about these characters has been said since the end of this series, you're probably right that Project Superpowers as we knew it is officially dead.
                            On the other hand, the four-issue The Owl series is (supposedly) coming out in a tpb collection in 2017.
                            So, who knows if there's still some potential life for PSP in the future?

Comment

On the other hand, the four-issue The Owl series is (supposedly) coming out in a tpb collection in 2017.
                              So, who knows if there's still some potential life for PSP in the future?
                              I think there are no grand plans as such. We've heard about Nick approaching writers and asking them who they'd love to work on. If someone were to blurt out Black Terror or Green Lama, then there'd be no reason for Dynamite to say no, but I doubt they're seeking anyone out.

Speaking of Lama, Adam Lance Garcia writes short stories for that character for Moonstone. Never read any of it, only have heard good feedback. Wonder if he'd ever take a stab a comics?

Comment

Alter-Ego #144 and The 4 Favorites

Just wanted to give a 'heads-up' to those of you that love the Golden Age heroes.

Alter-Ego #144 (out soon) features Ace Comics: The Far-Flying Heroes of Golden Age
                                ...with articles about MAGNO LASH LIGHTNING- THE RAVEN UNKNOWN SOLDIER -VULCAN THE FLAG MR. RISK -CAPTAIN COURAGEOUS... and a Group that I was certainly hoping DYNAMITE would bring back in Project Superpowers: THE 4 FAVORITES!!

I haven't given up on Project Superpowers... and really hope that DYNAMITE hasn't given up on 'The Project', either.

We just need someone who loves these Great Golden Age Heroes like we do -- to write
                                and we need someone like Tom Grummet to draw .... these guys back in action again.

It's really hard to give up on these Golden Age heroes ... ...for anyone who thinks they still have potential.

Comment

Working...
                                X