• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Magno and Davey ....

Comment

The Four Favorites.... return.

Well, I can't seem to edit the previous two posts ... so I just continue here.
        I've wanted Dynamite to hire Roy Thomas ... to write and to hire artists like Ordway, Machlan, Grummett, or Gamill to draw the interiors to those great Ace Covers of The Four Favorites.

It seems that Dynamite has no intentions of doing anything with Project Superpowers ... but at least, I wanted to pitch that idea again just in case they would change their minds and give the ACE heroes a go.!!

I would love to see Magno, The Unknown Soldier, Lash Lightning, The Raven--- and Davey... team up and fight crime in the Golden Age... under the banner of The FOUR FAVORITES.!!

Comment

I could swear they did appear in a brief group shot somewhere towards the end, although it may only have amounted to a panel or two, and I don't think the name "4 Favorites" was mentioned (seems pretty unlikely that any superhero group would dub themselves with that name -- sounds more like a male pop vocal group from the Fifties).
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
            I could swear they did appear in a brief group shot somewhere towards the end, although it may only have amounted to a panel or two, and I don't think the name "4 Favorites" was mentioned (seems pretty unlikely that any superhero group would dub themselves with that name -- sounds more like a male pop vocal group from the Fifties).
            I think that's right (pop group reference included). Probably the scene where the bomb's about to be dropped. Pretty sure they were among the back page pinups too.

Comment

CPR on Project Superpowers!! Please.

It may seem unlikely that they would dub themselves "4 Favorites" ... not a male pop vocal group from the Fifties ... but a super-hero book from the 1940's.

I don't think that should be the name of the Group ... but that was the name of Ace's magazine in which they appeared.
              Maybe they could call themselves .... 'The Fantastic Four'.!! Oh, wait.... maybe not.

I would like to see an Assistant Editor call up Roy Thomas ... and Jerry Ordway and see if they would like to 'revive' those 4 Favorites heroes from ACE. I think they would want to do a Golden Age book.
              Did you guys pick up Alter-Ego #144?? Informative ... and a fun read. Magno, Davey, The Raven, Lash Lightning, and The Unknown Soldier still have a lot of 'charm' as far as I'm concerned.

Why can't some enterprising editor at Dynamite call these guys up and get them to do some of these Golden Age heroes... and pump some life into "The Project.'

Can someone tell me why Project Superpowers is still 'dead in the water'.??

Comment

They still survive....

Comment

These are the Super-Mysterymen that I'm talking about...

Comment

The Return of 'The Super-Mysterymen.!!

Originally posted by Magno View Post

These are the Super-Mysterymen that I'm talking about...
                    Magno, (Davey-- not pictured here), Lash Lightning, Lightning Girl, Vulcan, The Unknown Soldier, The Sword, Captain Courageous, and Mr. Raven.

This artist is the artist to use for the series. --- Get a very competent writer like Roy Thomas -- and give us a DYNAMITE story. It can't be that hard to do.
                    And it could give a lot of Golden Age fans hope ... that the series would continue.
                    Come on, Dynamite. Start the ball rolling.!!

Comment

What can I tell you. There just aren't enough readers who care about these obscure Golden Age characters from long-defunct publishers. Maybe just enough to support a magazine like ALTER EGO, but the economics of that are somewhat different than standard floppy comic books. It's been decades since people just starting out as comic book fans had any interest and respect for the history of American comic books, and it is what it is. And the comic book industry runs through writers and artists like a couch potato eating Pringles. They all get a relatively brief period in the limelight, and the mainstream of comic book readers moves on to whatever the new flavor-of-the-month is.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

What can I tell you. There just aren't enough readers who care about these obscure Golden Age characters from long-defunct publishers. Maybe just enough to support a magazine like ALTER EGO, but the economics of that are somewhat different than standard floppy comic books. It's been decades since people just starting out as comic book fans had any interest and respect for the history of American comic books, and it is what it is. And the comic book industry runs through writers and artists like a couch potato eating Pringles. They all get a relatively brief period in the limelight, and the mainstream of comic book readers moves on to whatever the new flavor-of-the-month is.
                        pdHz45i - Imgur.jpg

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by positronic View Post
                          What can I tell you. There just aren't enough readers who care about these obscure Golden Age characters from long-defunct publishers. Maybe just enough to support a magazine like ALTER EGO, but the economics of that are somewhat different than standard floppy comic books. It's been decades since people just starting out as comic book fans had any interest and respect for the history of American comic books, and it is what it is. And the comic book industry runs through writers and artists like a couch potato eating Pringles. They all get a relatively brief period in the limelight, and the mainstream of comic book readers moves on to whatever the new flavor-of-the-month is

So, then--- Project Superpowers is REALLY dead.???
                          Stick a fork in it.... DONE!!??

Comment

That's about it in a nutshell. Most of those hardcore old-school fans of Golden Age (and Silver Age, for that matter) characters whose regular publishing history ended many decades ago just aren't buying new floppy comic books. Back issues, hardcover reprint collections, and TwoMorrows fan magazines and history books, YES... but new floppy comic books, NO.

I'm sure Nick Barrucci would count himself among those old-school fans of Golden Age and pulp heroes and would love to continue publishing those characters... but not if he's just going to lose money every time he does it. He's got to keep the company solvent if his employees are going to keep their jobs.
                            Last edited by positronic; 02-03-2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I think a 3rd volume of the original Project Superpower...project... is dead. I doubt we'll ever see any of the stories hinted at on the last pages of volume two ever take shape. That's dead.

But I also think that if someone came up with a pitch that Nick thought had potential for any of those characters, individually or as a group, he would pursue it. Like he did with Blackcross.

Comment

Try to look at it this way, Magno. If you want a snapshot or a cross-section of the core LCS consumer demographic whose tastes determine what succeeds or fails in the current comic book marketplace, it's readers who began reading comics in the early 2000s. Or to a lesser, but still significant extent, readers who began reading comics in the 1990s. That's as far back as those readers' memories of, or nostalgia for, comic book history extends. I'm talking about readers who have subscriptions with their LCS, or otherwise preorder their comics, who buy a dozen or more titles a month regularly, who are in the comic shop on a weekly basis. They are the determiners of mainstream reading tastes in comics today.

The number of readers out there still reading new comics who began reading in the 1960s, 1970s, or even the 1980s is diminishing all the time. Those readers are burning out or dropping out, or becoming exclusively readers/collectors of back issues or reprints. The styles of comic art and writing found in today's comics by and large don't appeal to them. Not enough to warrant a trip to the comic shop every week -- not even every month, or to maintain the effort necessary to scan solicitations and preorder their comics. And the "Wednesday Warriors", to use the vernacular, are those people that your friendly neighborhood comics retailer is totally dependent on to keep him in business. He doesn't have time to stock even 2 or 3 copies of the hundreds of titles being published every month, and let them sit on his shelves for one to three months, in the hopes that some guy will wander in and buy them. If a comic is not sold by a month after it's released, it's dead wood, and it's draining his already strained resources. And believe me, saying a month or three is generous. If we're being honest, more than half those retailers probably can't afford to have comics sitting on their shelves between one and three WEEKS.

So everything that the retailer does when guesstimating his preorders on each month's Diamond Previews catalog is based on what he knows about those Wednesday Warriors' ordering patterns, and their tastes in comics. That's the only reason some of these shops are still in business. If one guy comes in and asks the retailer if he has the newest Dynamite series featuring some old-time character, and that guy isn't a big spender who comes in at least monthly, he's not going to bother ordering it. Maybe if he gets five or six requests, he'll remember to order it. But guess what? The older guys who like those older characters, they're likely to be finicky sorts who only like a few comics that most other readers won't bother with, for the most part -- they're not big spenders, nor are they always the type who spend all their comic budget with one store. If there's more than one store in the area, an older guy may buy one or two comics here, one or two there.

Pullbox subscriptions are hardly worth the work involved for the retailer if the subscriber only gets a few books a month (even more so if the retailer offers a standing discount to subscribers). Special orders issue-by-issue are a pain to fill and keep track of, when the retailer sees a customer only asking for a couple of titles. He's only willing to provide that service if it encourages a customer to buy more titles, and buy all of his comics at that retailer's store, as opposed to his competitor's store in the city a few miles away. Ideally he'd like 20 subscribers that get 20 titles a week, not 200 subscribers that get 2 titles a week, and only one or two customers want the same titles, because the more different titles and subscribers, the bigger the headache it is to order and fill those subs. Oh, and I forgot that you have to multiply those hundreds of titles published every month by 2, since most of them are available now with at least one variant cover.

It's about to get a lot worse for people like us who like the old comic book characters, though. We are sitting on the crest of the wave of new readers who have been seeping into the mainstream demographic of comic shop consumers, younger still newbie fans who have only recently caught the comics buzz in the last 5 years or so. They are those people who are just discovering comicons, the fans of cosplay, videogaming, and mainstream blockbuster superhero and sci-fi movies who are gravitating towards comics as a source medium because of a perceived hipness. I guess you can use your imagination and think about what they might feel about the "hipness" of Golden Age comics and superheroes who are older than their great-grandparents. World War 2? Wasn't that, like, way back in the 1950s or something?? At the moment, those slightly older fans who started reading in the early 2000s and 1990s far outweigh them in consumer purchasing power, because they have more stable and better paying jobs, and there's also a tendency for a lot of those newbies to go straight to digital.
                                Last edited by pulphero; 02-03-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X