Blackcross

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    But I also think that if someone came up with a pitch that Nick thought had potential for any of those characters, individually or as a group, he would pursue it. Like he did with Blackcross.
    It might have worked if handled something more like ABC's TERRA OBSCURA, but the Ellis version effectively ceased to be a superhero genre comic, which is the only reason anyone would be interested in PSP in the first place. That goes doubly so for anyone knowledgeable enough about superhero genre history to even be familiar with the PSP characters. BLACKCROSS seemed to try to appeal to two different audiences that were poles apart in their genre tastes, and so wound up pleasing no one.

Comment

Pulp hero is right.....

Damn.
      Well, I can't find fault with any of your logic....

but is there ANY way you think it would 'work'.??

How about a group book of Nedor heroes written by Alan Moore and illustrated by ... say ... Frank Quitely??
      With a low print order on cheap paper until the book would find an audience and good 'numbers'. ... say by issue #4.??

I guess I'm asking.... do you think there is ANY way the PSP would work??

DC and Marvel do it on a monthly basis.... but Dynamite can't find a way in???

Comment

Originally posted by Magno View Post
        It might depend on your definition of "work". Dark Horse had a Captain Midnight series for a couple of years. If that qualifies, I think it can be done.

I think they might want to use Black Terror as their central character. He doesn't come off as outdated and/or goofy as some other characters might nowadays. I think he can still be marketable without being completely re-designed to the point that fans of books from that era don't recognize him. Hydro and Pyroman, maybe not so much. But you can guest-star some of those characters.

Comment

Yes, ABC's TERRA OBSCURA was a good project that made those characters 'work' ...
          I really like that series.

It CAN be done.
          Maybe Dynamite should hire those writers and artists to take another 'crack' at the Nedor Heroes.... give Black Terror the lead... and build the other characters around him.
          Updating them from their Golden Age persona needs to be done.... and it can ... in the right hands ... succeed. (I think.) ...

I'll say it again and again... if Dynamite will only hire the 'right' writer and artist ... and give us good quality stories.... it could succeed .!!

And with the success of one book... another and another could be built on top of it.

But it's a visual medium ... and it needs an artist that can give us dynamic pages we can 'wow' over ... and a story that's exciting to read ... and reread.

Comment

Yes, ABC's TERRA OBSCURA was a good project that made those characters 'work' ...
            I really like that series.

It CAN be done.
            Maybe Dynamite should hire those writers and artists to take another 'crack' at the Nedor Heroes.... give Black Terror the lead... and build the other characters around him.
            Updating them from their Golden Age persona needs to be done.... and it can ... in the right hands ... succeed. (I think.) ...

I'll say it again and again... if Dynamite will only hire the 'right' writer and artist ... and give us good quality stories.... it could succeed .!!

And with the success of one book... another and another could be built on top of it.

But it's a visual medium ... and it needs an artist that can give us dynamic pages we can 'wow' over ... and a story that's exciting to read ... and reread.
            There's a publisher up here called Chapterhouse. They've taken the old Captain Canuck characters from the mid 70s and given them a jolt of modern that was desperately needed.

They started with an ongoing for the Captain but encountered scheduling issues (sound familiar, Dynamite fans?). Their approach has changed as a result. They are now issuing two 4-issue limited series at a time that run simultaneously. And those two books are part of their larger universe. Either it is about a specific member of the Canuck supporting cast, or it'll at least take place in the same world but be only marginally connected (at least for now). They mix established and little-known talent on the creative teams.

I'd like to see Dynamite try something like that, using my Black Terror example from earlier. Then maybe a mini about Masquerade and a team-up book for four issues. Then Green Lama gets his turn and say, a sidekicks book. Whatever. It keeps the whole PS universe moving, doesn't demand a huge commitment from fans, and if a book sells poorly, it's only four issues anyway.

Comment

Damn.
              Well, I can't find fault with any of your logic....

but is there ANY way you think it would 'work'.??

How about a group book of Nedor heroes written by Alan Moore and illustrated by ... say ... Frank Quitely??
              With a low print order on cheap paper until the book would find an audience and good 'numbers'. ... say by issue #4.??

DC and Marvel do it on a monthly basis.... but Dynamite can't find a way in???
              Both Marvel and DC are owned by huge media corporations with deep pockets, and their comic lines have both just experienced one of the worst slumps ever. DC is recovering slightly since its 'Rebirth' relaunch in September, but Marvel sales are still the worst in years.

I hate to say it, but you're seriously out of touch if you think Alan Moore's going to save PSP - or anybody, for that matter. He's retired from comics. The last thing he wrote was the third (of three) NEMO original graphic novels which came out in March 2015, and was a sequel to THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN. Even then, he was going back on his earlier statement that he'd retired from comics after TLOEG II. I guess he only did it as a favor for Kevin O'Neill, whom he enjoyed working with. NEMO, however, had underwhelming sales. Alan Moore just doesn't have clout any more. They can still sell WATCHMEN and SWAMP THING reprints, but that's about it. Marvel thought they'd have a huge hit with it's reprints of MIRACLEMAN, but by the time they'd dragged their feet long enough, worked out all the details, and released the comic, sales were tepid at best. The comics mainstream has moved on. Besides, why would Moore even be interested in working on someone else's characters after all these years?

Frank Miller's DARK KNIGHT III isn't doing all that great, either. The mainstream has moved on, and the old 80's icons just don't have the sales clout they used to. Frank Quitely is still doing all right, currently working with Mark Millar drawing his JUPITER'S LEGACY series. Once these guys move into creator-owned comics, there's little incentive for them to come back to sharecropping on company-owned characters until their careers begin to fade -- and then they'd have to work on Batman or one of the major iconic characters.
              Last edited by positronic; 03-10-2017, 07:31 AM.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                Both Marvel and DC are owned by huge media corporations with deep pockets, and their comic lines have both just experienced one of the worst slumps ever. DC is recovering slightly since its 'Rebirth' relaunch in September, but Marvel sales are still the worst in years.

I hate to say it, but you're seriously out of touch if you think Alan Moore's going to save PSP - or anybody, for that matter. He's retired from comics. The last thing he wrote was the third (of three) NEMO original graphic novels which came out in March 2015, and was a sequel to THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN. Even then, he was going back on his earlier statement that he'd retired from comics after TLOEG II. I guess he only did it as a favor for Kevin O'Neill, whom he enjoyed working with. NEMO, however, had underwhelming sales. Alan Moore just doesn't have clout any more. They can still sell WATCHMEN and SWAMP THING reprints, but that's about it. Marvel thought they'd have a huge hit with it's reprints of MIRACLEMAN, but by the time they'd dragged their feet long enough, worked out all the details, and released the comic, sales were tepid at best. The comics mainstream has moved on. Besides, why would Moore even be interested in working on someone else's characters after all these years?

Frank Miller's DARK KNIGHT III isn't doing all that great, either. The mainstream has moved on, and the old 80's icons just don't have the sales clout they used to. Frank Quitely is still doing all right, currently working with Mark Millar drawing his JUPITER'S LEGACY series. Once these guys move into creator-owned comics, there's little incentive for them to come back to sharecropping on company-owned characters until their careers begin to fade -- and then they'd have to work on Batman or one of the major iconic characters.
                Yeah, I must be a little out of touch if I thought Alan Moore would step in and try to save Project Superpowers. I thought he still might have some cachet in the marketplace. And I only mentioned both he and Quitely as big draws.
                I only wanted to suggest two big names that would draw potential readers to Project Superpowers that would actually make the title 'work'.
                It sounds like 'HEROKILLERS' might not be the trick, either.
                So, I was 'browsing' for possible writer/artist teams that would produce the kind of PS book some of us would like to see.

On a related note, --- does anyone know about the 'rules' of writing some of these heroes who are in the public domain. ???

Can one just take the hero or heroes and continue their adventures on .... from the already published stories.??

Why did Alex Ross have to make little changes of Black Terror to return him to comics.???
                Why couldn't Ross have portrayed Black Terror just as he had appeared in the '40's ... with the same background he had in EXCITING and BLACK TERROR books.??

Comment

On a related note, --- does anyone know about the 'rules' of writing some of these heroes who are in the public domain. ???

Can one just take the hero or heroes and continue their adventures on .... from the already published stories.??

Why did Alex Ross have to make little changes of Black Terror to return him to comics.???
                  Why couldn't Ross have portrayed Black Terror just as he had appeared in the '40's ... with the same background he had in EXCITING and BLACK TERROR books.??
                  When publishers attempt to resurrect these public domain characters, you need to take into account practical considerations from the standpoint of the publisher. Both PSP and TERRA OBSCURA took public domain GA characters and altered them in ways that made their specific versions of those characters unique and copyright-able for the respective publishers. If either series had just taken the same public domain characters and made no changes to them whatsoever, and either series had turned out to be successful and popular, that would have just enabled other publishers to cash in by publishing their own titles featuring those same public domain characters, in effect benefiting from the work that Dynamite or America's Best Comics put into the characters. It's just good business to protect your own interests as a publisher by making these characters your own.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Good explanation. I tend to refer to the example Nick used once in an interview: You can do Dracula, you just can't do Bela Lugosi.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                      Good explanation. I tend to refer to the example Nick used once in an interview: You can do Dracula, you just can't do Bela Lugosi.
                      Unless of course, you actually have a license from the Lugosi estate. Bela's name and likeness are not public domain (although, I guess if used in biographical format, it would be considered fair use). Monsterverse LLC published 4 issues of BELA LUGOSI'S TALES FROM THE GRAVE, in which Bela takes the part of the classic comic book horror host. I highly recommend these if you can find them. Dark Horse also published a licensed comic book adaptation of the Universal film Dracula, among other licensed Universal Monsters film adaptation which they did.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                        When publishers attempt to resurrect these public domain characters, you need to take into account practical considerations from the standpoint of the publisher. Both PSP and TERRA OBSCURA took public domain GA characters and altered them in ways that made their specific versions of those characters unique and copyright-able for the respective publishers. If either series had just taken the same public domain characters and made no changes to them whatsoever, and either series had turned out to be successful and popular, that would have just enabled other publishers to cash in by publishing their own titles featuring those same public domain characters, in effect benefiting from the work that Dynamite or America's Best Comics put into the characters. It's just good business to protect your own interests as a publisher by making these characters your own.
                        Thanks for the explanation. All the more understandable.

Comment

Of all the public domain characters out there, Magno, what you a fan of that one specifically?

Comment

Working...
                          X