Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Superpowers: What do you hope is next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Superpowers: What do you hope is next?

Well, we had Volume One of Project Superpowers for 2008, then we got Project Superpowers: Chapter Two during 2009 and 2010.

About five years later we get Project Superpowers: Blackcross, a six issue ... something ...with a few characters who at least share their names with previous Project Superpowers characters, but beyond that, . . . ?

What do you think Dynamite should do / should have done with this franchise for the future?
    Continue on from where Warren Ellis leaves off
    12.50%
    Ignore Ellis' Blackcross work and continue on from PSP Chapter Two
    37.50%
    Ignore Blackcross and just try another, different reboot
    25.00%
    Have a pre-urn PSP prequel set during the 1940s
    25.00%
    just leave the Project Superpower franchise alone for the future
    0.00%
    other (please explain)
    0.00%
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 08-10-2015, 10:41 AM.

As much as I think Blackcross is a huge mis-step, I also think it is pretty much the only game in town, so building on it makes most logical sense to me.

I don't think we will ever see Chapter 3 as originally intended which is disappointing, as is the fact that we won't see the Ghost series: am I mistaken in thinking that work was supposedly done on that mini that has never seen print?

The fact that the Owl has never been released as tpb makes me think there is no hope of going back.

Comment

My vote is wrong; I meant to choose the top option.

Comment

If any of these options happen, it will probably involve a lot of waiting on the part of fans of the characters.

Fortunately we can help pass the time by reading those same characters' original Golden Age comics over at the Digital Comics Museum.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          If any of these options happen, it will probably involve a lot of waiting on the part of fans of the characters.

Fortunately we can help pass the time by reading those same characters' original Golden Age comics over at the Digital Comics Museum.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php
          Since I don't do digital comic books (major reason being that I don't feel like dealing the desktop anytime I want to read) I wish they were put together into some tpb collections. (I know AC Comics does a bunch of Golden Age reprints, but they're expensive and aren't carried in any stores I've been to.)

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
            Since I don't do digital comic books (major reason being that I don't feel like dealing the desktop anytime I want to read)
            Yes, emphatically. That's why I used the money I could have spent on say, 2 Marvel Masterworks ($75 each, in the current economy) to buy a 10" tablet. OK, technically it cost me $159 (wow, just think, I could have had forty Marvel comic books), and that was without any accessories like an SD memory card, and other little amenities that it's nice to have. It's a little bit smaller than I'd like, ideally, (it's nearly exactly the page size of a Dark Horse Omnibus) but presumably larger screens will become cheaper in the near future. The point is I was no longer tied to sitting in an office chair, staring into a desktop monitor -- and THAT turned out to be the game-changer to opening up the world of free online public domain comics for me. I've barely actually bought a thing when it comes to digital comics, there is such an amazing variety of FREE stuff to be had out there (and that's not even considering the "bootleg" torrents of scanned comics). Worth every penny I spent for that tablet.

And you know what the real beauty of this turned out to be? Instead of me sitting in my chair (as a did a couple of years ago) grumbling about the way Dark Horse Archives handled its reprints in Green Lama Archives and Silver Streak Archives & Daredevil Archives, I can now go and "cherry pick" just the stories and characters I'm interested in, and compile them into file folders that make up my own personal "digital archives collection". SO, in the example mentioned, JUST the Green Lama and Silver Streak stories in their own Archives, and JUST the Daredevil stories in another Archive. So there's a slight bit of work involved in my part in paging through each individual published comic scanned online, but the DIY is kind of fun. Dark Horse's two volumes of Captain Midnight Archives weren't even chronological, merely "the best of" collections. Now I can have ALL of the Golden Age Captain Midnight stories, in order.

Right now I'm involved in going through each of the MLJ titles (and there were only BLUE RIBBON, TOP-NOTCH, PEP, ZIP, JACKPOT, SHIELD-WIZARD, HANGMAN and BLACK HOOD... less than 250 individual comic books), and sorting each superhero into his own chronologically-organized collection of stories. I then break the longer-running collections (like Steel Sterling, who was in all 47 issues of ZIP, and all 9 issues of JACKPOT) down into smaller folders of around 150-200 pages each. But most of the characters ran in a lot fewer issues... Steel Sterling, The Shield, The Black Hood, Hangman, and The Wizard were the top characters, while most of the others appeared in no more than 30 stories.

But you know what they say about "If you want something done right, do it yourself"... that applies to Golden Age comics in spades. Gee, IF ONLY someone would reprint them, and do them exactly the way I'd like to see them, and make them super-cheap to fit my budget, and... and... If wishes were horses, then beggars could ride. The way I look at it, someone else has already done the REALLY hard part of obtaining these comics, scanning them, and posting them online. It's a relatively simple job to be the guy harvesting the crop someone else went to the trouble of planting.

Well, you can wait around for someone else to do it. I'm just going to READ these comics while you're waiting.
            Last edited by pulphero; 08-10-2015, 05:42 PM.

Comment

The only complaint I have about DCM is that you can't search by character, at least I haven't figured out how.
              I'm using the Grand Comic database at http://www.comics.org/ to compile a list of the appearance of the characters I want to grab.
              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
                My vote is wrong; I meant to choose the top option.
                But instead you wound up voting for . . . ?

Comment

But instead you wound up voting for . . . ?
                  2nd option.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                    The only complaint I have about DCM is that you can't search by character, at least I haven't figured out how.
                    I'm using the Grand Comic database at http://www.comics.org/ to compile a list of the appearance of the characters I want to grab.
                    You can search a character's name on DCM, and it will show up if the character's name is mentioned in the description or notes section on the comic. That's up to the person that uploaded the comic, though. It helps to know exactly where to look for things, so you use every resource you have available to you. TwoMorrows' ALTER EGO magazine did a few issues indexing stories and characters from MLJ, Nedor/Standard/Pines, and Fox, and they published books like The Fawcett Companion and The Quality Companion, all of which are very helpful, as is comics.org, and even the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. Sometimes you can discover things just by browsing the online scans that you didn't know existed, which is always nice. I am still poking around trying to make a list of every appearance of Dick Ayers' Ghost Rider in various ME comic books -- there are turning out to be a lot more of them than I thought.

Comment

Well, the final issue is currently expected to be available on October 7th (not quite a full two months later than the original August 19th date https://dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewP...13022852906011), but has anybody heard anything on if / when more Project Superpowers may be coming in the future?

Comment

Well, the final issue is currently expected to be available on October 7th (not quite a full two months later than the original August 19th date https://dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewP...13022852906011), but has anybody heard anything on if / when more Project Superpowers may be coming in the future?
                        Not heard anything about any future plans. I suspect this was the last chance.

Comment

As much as I hate to say it, I think SuperPowers is done. I think it was a case of to much to fast (to many heroes to quickly) and to little to late (Not enough mini series to hold readers attentions). Then we had the delays and problems.
                          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Ironically, the coda to the first era (Chapters one and two), the Owl mini series, is exactly the kind of thing I think they should have done more of, and sooner (and totally agreeing with Ghornet2 that more minis would have better held attention).

DE wanted to build their own superhero universe, but regular releases are part of that.

Comment

An annoying thing is that Masquerade (Miss Masque) is getting exposure as part of Gail Simone's Sword of Sorrows event, but she's not even showing up in Warren Ellis' Project Superpowers: Blackcross or anywhere else.

(You would think another Masquerade mini-series or something else with Masquerade in it would have been useful around now.)

Comment

Working...
                              X