"FROM THE PAGES OF...PROJECT SUPERPOWERS COMES HERO KILLERS"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "FROM THE PAGES OF...PROJECT SUPERPOWERS COMES HERO KILLERS"

Good news, Project Superpowers is returning!

Bad news, Dynamite is reinventing the wheel again!

https://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfi...DFN02221781201

...Dynamite welcomes aboard the incredible team of Ryan Browne (God Hates Astronauts) and Pete Wood (Robin, Deadpool), two creators who dare to deliver an altogether unexpected, satirical take on the classic superhero mythos with Project Superpowers: Hero Killers.

Welcome to Libertyville, USA... home to too damn many superheroes! When all crime is soon eradicated, a handful of heroes leave for greener pastures, but most stay for the affordable housing, hoping to rise to the top and become the legendary hero who saved the world's greatest metropolis. Captain Battle Jr., Sparky, and an unfortunate crime-fighter named Tim try to stand out, but it's hard to do in a city full of capes stopping every misdemeanor with a spandex-wrapped flourish. Things get weird when these three lad companions try to get to the criminals before their bosses do!

Ryan Brown says, "These ain't your great-great-granddaddy's superheroes... unless your great-great-granddaddy is super-cool and has a wonderful sense of humor. Then these actually are your great-great-granddaddy's superheroes."

"We're taking characters and concepts that have been around since the beginning of comics and turning them upside down," says Pete Woods. "This is going to be a fun ride for the readers and the creators alike. I'm having a blast."

"One of the things we pride ourselves on with Project Superpowers is the ability to bing in top creators and give them the ability to tell exactly the kind of superhero story that suits their tastes," says Dynamite CEO and publisher, Nick Barrucci. "When Ryan and Pete came up with a story to poke fun at superhero tropes with a witty take on the genre, we thought, 'Why not put it in the context our own universe for something wholly original?' This series is guaranteed to entertain any fan of superpowered storylines!"

"Taking a storied property and looking at it in a completely different way is always exciting, and doing it from a truly demented perspective is what helps me get out of bed in the morning. I'm up!" says Matt Idelson, Senior Editor.

Project Superpowers: Hero Killers #1 will be solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors' March 2017Previews catalog, the premier source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market, and slated for release in May. Comic book fans are encouraged to reserve copies with their local comic book retailers. Project Superpowers: Hero Killers will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Dynamite Digital, iVerse, and Dark Horse Digital.
    None for me, thanks. If you want to have a look at the covers, click on the link above.

[QUOTE=Captain Canuck;37433]Good news, Project Superpowers is returning!

Bad news, Dynamite is reinventing the wheel again!

I am really underwhelmed by this solicitation. I thought they took PSP way to the dark side with Blackcross, but are now going 180 degrees to the goofy side. It's too bad. PSP was one of my favorites and often find myself re-reading volumes 1 and 2. Would love to see a true chapter 3 but as others have posted in other forum threads, the economics don't support it.

Just a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
      Would love to see a true chapter 3 but as others have posted in other forum threads, the economics don't support it.
      I think they support this kind of thing even less. I guess we'll wait to see how they do.

Comment

What a disappointment....

Boy, I really got my hopes up when I saw the ad in PREVIEWS.

LET DOWN, AGAIN.

I still think a Super-hero Group ... like BLACK TERROR, DOC STRANGE, PYROMAN, FIGHTING YANK, MISS MASQUE, and THE LIBERATOR would work.

You would need a big name writer and artist ... and maybe cheap paper and a low production number... until the book found an audience and good 'numbers' ... but ....

DC and Marvel do it month after month.... and Dynamite can't????

Unbelievable......

Comment

Originally posted by Magno View Post
          Boy, I really got my hopes up when I saw the ad in PREVIEWS.

LET DOWN, AGAIN.

I still think a Super-hero Group ... like BLACK TERROR, DOC STRANGE, PYROMAN, FIGHTING YANK, MISS MASQUE, and THE LIBERATOR would work.

You would need a big name writer and artist ... and maybe cheap paper and a low production number... until the book found an audience and good 'numbers' ... but ....

DC and Marvel do it month after month.... and Dynamite can't????

Unbelievable......
          If you can take anything more or less positive away from it is that the characters aren't being ignored altogether. They even still make reference to Project Superpowers specifically (though at this point, I kind of wish they wouldn't...)

Comment

Let me add this:

When I started in comics.... it was when I picked up FF #4.... and that issue wasn't very good looking.
            It wasn't like the slicker DC comic... and it didn't have very good distribution... Marvel was having all kinds of problems at the time...

It just wasn't that impressive of an issue. Yet, I loved the fact that the heroes had personalities ... and didn't get along .... and the art ... the art was kind of strange ... but there was something very endearing about it. I was hooked on buying the next issue without a doubt. Many of those early Marvels were hardly an indication that it would become such a 'powerhouse giant'.

So, ... I keep thinking there must be a way for Dynamite to get into the Super-hero business ... with these wonderful Golden Age Super-Heroes.

Pass them off as contemporary heroes.... give them a low print run ... until the book can find an audience... but most of all .... Quality... Quality... find a Writer that loves Super-Heroes and can write them.
            Find an Artist ... that can draw great super-hero adventures....

I know there probably will never be another Stan Lee and Jack Kirby duo..... but there should be a talented team that could bring these heroes to the racks and make them sell enough to keep the book in 'good numbers'. .... and possibly grow circulation.

Like I said, .... DC and Marvel... and other companies do it all the time... every month... it's just so hard to believe Dynamite can't.!!

Although, I always admit, that Pulp Hero makes a very valid case. Great points and reasoning... and insight. I have NO ISSUE with his diagnosis of the problems.

There just MUST be an answer to overcome this. (OK, maybe there's not... but I digress. LOL!!)

Comment

I was looking forward at one point to Dynamite trying again with this franchise.

But after seeing cover art and reading the solicitation description . . . I think I'll just save my money and skip this.

(I'm getting so disappointed with Dynamite's output these days.)

Comment

MAD presents a Golden Age superheroes parody??

Comment

The hilarity continues in June.

PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: HERO KILLERS #2
                  Cover A: Pete Woods Cover B: Ryan Browne Writer: Ryan Browne Art: Pete Woods

Oh man oh man oh man! Okay! Everybody cool out! We just need a second here and we will figure this out. Or not. I donít know. Tim and the gang messed up pretty big and Iím not sure how they are going to handle it. And not just them. How are the superheroes gonna deal with this? Captain Battle doesnít seem too easy goingÖnot with a name like CAPTAIN BATTLE! Letís just think about this logically. Maybe Sparky, Captain Battle Jr., and Tim can turn this monumental screw-up to their advantage. I mean, they have a lot of inside information and maybe a town without crime isnít so great after allÖ

Comment

Ahead of the release of Project Superpowers: Hero Killers #1, ComicsAlliance chatted to Browne and Woods about their take on beloved characters and their influences in applying satirical tropes to an established superhero universe.

ComicsAlliance: Firstly, I have to ask, did Dynamite come to you and suggest a send-up of its Project Superpowers line, or is it the kind of story youíve been looking for a home for?

Ryan Browne: Matt Idelson at Dynamite was looking to do something darkly humorous with Project Superpowers as a 180 to the way the line was produced before. Iíve known him for a little while, and he is a fan of God Hates Astronauts (which happens to be a darkly humorous superhero book) so he reached out to me to see if Iíd be interested in pitching something using those characters. I wasnít super familiar with this cast of folksy superheroes from yesteryear, but these characters did seem to have an inherent silliness about them which is something I love to play off of with darkly serious stories. so I did a little bit of research and came up with something reasonably off-color ó thinking that it might not go over well ó but Dynamite was all about it!

Pete Woods: Iíve known Matt Idelson for almost as long as Iíve been working in comics. When he contacted me about trying something at Dynamite in the Project Superpowers universe I figured that it would be something a little off-kilter. When he suggested Ryan as writer I was sure of it.

CA: Is there a different sense of appeal in using established Golden Age heroes and subverting them for a story like this, as opposed to designing and making up your own heroes to lampoon?

RB: A lot of the jokes are already there with how goofy some of these characters are. It really was a lot easier than starting from scratchĖ and most of their personalities are completely different from how the characters were portrayed before. I think of it as sort of an alternate reality to what youíve seen in previous Project Superpowers. Like a What If? or an Elseworlds thing.

PW: When doing something like this itís difficult to communicate the type of humor weíre going for with brand new characters. Thereís a history and a sense of propriety that comes as part of the package. That gives you a lot more to play off.

CA: What can you tell us about the three would-be heroes that decide they want to get into the cape and cowl business?

RB: When I think of dark humor, I think of Coen Brothers films. So I set that up as my template ó seemingly innocent characters that see an easy chance at fame and fortune and immediately get in over their heads. Drastic solutions to overwhelming problems. that end up just causing more problems. That sounds like a job for three wholesome, all-American sidekicks! Sidekicks are inherently nonsensical so this was just an easy layup to find the comedy in their desperation.

CA: Visually, does the series follow Alex Rossí lead established in Project Superpowers, but with your own spin or have you re-interpreted the characters to suit your style?

RB: Pete has a wonderful, clean-line style that gives this book a unique look. As for the design decisions on the world and the heroes uniforms, I left it entirely up to Pete. I always prefer that when I am drawing a book and I think Pete agreed.

PW: I have a great deal of respect for what Alex did with these characters and the time and energy he invested in them. That said, Iím not Alex. I donít want to try and emulate what he is a master of. I went back to the original designs and for the most part decided to run with those. I wanted to keep the characters in these sometimes outlandish costumes and have them live in a world where thatís not seen as weird.

CA: Have you two been looking for a project to work on together for a while, or did Dynamite match you up due to similar sensibilities?

RB: Iíd been a big fan of Peteís work for many many years but I had never met him. It was really Matt Idelson that brought us together to make sweet comic magic.

PW: Matt has a great sense of who would work well together. While Ryan and I have never met, I think our sensibilities mesh really well.

CA: Superhero comics often have hardcore fanbases, even with characters you might not expect. Are you expecting any pushback, or have you received any, from die-hard fans of, say, The Black Terror?

RB: Just with the nature of comedy, this is going to be a polarizing book. I think that has to be accepted by anyone who works in humor. My hope is that old fans will be open to some humor in a universe that is usually told in a serious fashion and that we bring in a whole new audience to the universe that has never heard of The Black Terror.

PW: No matter what you do there are always people who think youíve done something you shouldnít have. As Ryan said, thatís the nature of comedy, but I also think itís the nature of most entertainment. Whenever you do something that pushes characters out of the status quo people react. I hope that in the end readers realize that we love these characters and respect their histories. Weíre just trying to tell a fun story and maybe get more people interested in these gems.

Preview material here: http://comicsalliance.com/brown-wood...ers-interview/

Comment

Browne went from "I wasnít super familiar with this cast of folksy superheroes from yesteryear..." to "we love these characters and respect their histories" in the space of however many minutes it took to complete this interview. You'll have to pardon my skepticism.

He might as well have answered that last question with "Yeah, but they can all go f### themselves, we're going to do what we feel like." At least that would have sounded more authentic.

Comment

Correction, that was Woods who claimed to "love" these characters, although he spoke for Browne who admitted earlier that he wasn't familiar with them.

I would have just edited my post but evidently that function doesn't work any better than the image-posting feature does. This forum somehow manages to be a bigger mess than Dynamite's comics line.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                          Correction, that was Woods who claimed to "love" these characters, although he spoke for Browne who admitted earlier that he wasn't familiar with them.

I would have just edited my post but evidently that function doesn't work any better than the image-posting feature does. This forum somehow manages to be a bigger mess than Dynamite's comics line.
                          Yes, that editing button doesn't work well. Thanks for your posts.

Comment

Can you like superhero comics, yet still like a comic book about superheroes written & drawn by creators who (it seems fair to say) might have diametrically-opposed feelings than your own about superheroes?

Sure, why not?

MARSHAL LAW was a great, fun comic, "taking the piss out of" superheroes. It's fair to say that creators Pat Mills & Kevin O'Neill may not see quite eye-to-eye with me with respect to their attitude towards superheroes. In the end it's just a comic book, though. The most important question at the end of the day to me is "But was it a good comic?", not "But was it respectful towards the superhero genre?"

Now, I may get pissed at Marvel Comics for what they're doing to their core superheroes, but that's an entirely different deal. Why? Because the existence of Captain AmeriHydra is effectively cock-blocking the existence of a potentially viable "classic" Captain America comic book. It's not that the audience for a classic Captain America comic book somehow ceased to exist, or never existed in the first place. That, in a nutshell, is the difference between a Marvel comic like Captain America and Dynamite's Project Superpowers. If a viable audience existed for a 'straight' PSP comic book, then HERO KILLERS would not have come into existence in the first place. There's no conflict here for me in being able to enjoy both a straight and a satirical version of PSP, assuming that Hero Killers turns out to be good comic, irrespective of whether it's the PSP comic a minority of consumers would like to buy. That said, I don't know if an audience for the Hero Killers type of satirical PSP comic exists either, but I guess Dynamite and everyone else will discover that at the same time. The superhero genre is a tough row to hoe for any publishers apart from Marvel and DC.
                            Last edited by positronic; 04-03-2017, 07:48 AM.
                            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by Magno View Post
                              Yes, that editing button doesn't work well. Thanks for your posts.
                              You can right-click on "Edit Post" and select "Open in new tab" and the editing function will work.
                              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Working...
                              X