No announcement yet.

Who Else Is Using These Characters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, that sounds pretty damn enjoyable. I love when one's long-time fanhood is rewarded, of course, (similar to the description of the Scooby-Do team-up book elsewhere) and the real-time story telling thing is pretty unique.

I don't even mind the lack of jump-on points. When I was a kid, if I was picking up an issue of Detective Comics, I'd just have to figure things out as I went along. The constant relaunches that were supposed to make things so much simpler had the opposite effect. Good on Larsen for keeping to the old style.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
      Actually, that sounds pretty damn enjoyable. I love when one's long-time fanhood is rewarded, of course, (similar to the description of the Scooby-Do team-up book elsewhere) and the real-time story telling thing is pretty unique.

I don't even mind the lack of jump-on points. When I was a kid, if I was picking up an issue of Detective Comics, I'd just have to figure things out as I went along. The constant relaunches that were supposed to make things so much simpler had the opposite effect. Good on Larsen for keeping to the old style.
      Just to add: Erik Larsen is a great supporter of creator-owned comics. Savage Dragon has had crossovers with Eastman & Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Mike Mignola's Hellboy, Don Simpson's Megaton Man, Steve Gerber's Destroyer Duck, Pat Mills & Kevin O'Neill's Marshal Law, and Mike Allred's Madman (in addition to the expected Image stable-mates like Spawn, Shadowhawk, & Youngblood), plus DC's Superman, and even fought the Martians of Topps' MARS ATTACKS! I think the list seems to weigh heavily in favor of "supporting" as opposed to "exploiting" in most of these cases. Other notable guest-appearances (besides the Golden Age characters) might include President Obama, Saddam Hussein, and the infamous issue #31, where God & The Devil fought a not-to-be-missed pitched battle - later reprinted, but in a censored version (which proclaims "God Is Good" in the Image logo corner box). Larsen also co-created the character Vanguard (who has also occasionally appeared in SD) along with Gary Carlson (of BIG BANG COMICS), another fan of Golden Age and Silver Age comic characters.
      Last edited by positronic; 03-25-2017, 07:33 AM.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Black Terror Kid #1.

http://www.indyplanet.us/product/146508/

Comment

Green Lama / Sherlock Holmes from Moonstone in August.

http://majorspoilers.com/2017/04/14/...s-august-2017/

Of course, with Moonstone, it may be worthwhile to ask in August of what year, but good luck to Lama fans.

Comment

As we're discussing this, I'm reminded that Gallant Comics has six issues of its John Aman Amazing Man book available for free download on IndyPlanet.

http://www.indyplanet.us/gallant-comics/

Partial solicitation to the final issue:

By Barry Gregory and Steven Butler. Fun books.
            ... And I have always liked Steven Butler's art. He did some of the art on characters of the MLJ ... and I was impressed with his stuff.

Comment

Magno, I've stumbled across a small publisher that is preparing to release a book called All-New Super Mystery Comics and Magno is his cover subject. If this link doesn't work, search for Roger Keel on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/roger.keel....WSFEED&fref=nf

Very indie, clearly, but thought you might be interested.

Comment

The All-American Victory Legion is based on characters from Centaur Comics, a publisher that closed its doors in 1942. In 2010, Alan Kupperberg was commissioned by a fan to create stories based on these public domain characters. Done as if these Golden Age heroes were in the middle of a Silver Age revival the stories were found among Alanís files after his death in 2015. Alanís brother, Paul Kupperberg has taken up the editorial mantle and is helping to get Super Gorillas vs the All-American Victory Legion to print.
                http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/im-go...ictory-legion/

Comment

Pix-C Comics is webcomics-based, and has been doing these kind of comics for a few years now, along with publishing Charlton Neo comics. The publisher is Mort Todd, formerly of Marvel and Cracked Magazine. Print-on-demand services allow for a number of these to have some print version.

Comment

Thank you, Captain Canuck...!!

Hey, I can't seem to post. what's going on??
                    Last edited by Magno; 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

thank you, Captain Canuck...!!

Comment

Thank you, Captain Canuck...!!

Magno, I've stumbled across a small publisher that is preparing to release a book called All-New Super Mystery Comics and Magno is his cover subject. If this link doesn't work, search for Roger Keel on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/roger.keel....WSFEED&fref=nf

Very indie, clearly, but thought you might be interested.
                        Thank you, very much, .. Captain.
                        I posted on his site and I'm trying to get a copy of his book.
                        I liked my artist when I was doing comics a little better--- but I'm glad to support Roger's take on Magno ... and The Clown.
                        Thank you, again.

Comment

Comics I didn't know existed.

http://www.drivethrucomics.com/brows...5/Lucky-Comics

They have BLACK BAT, BEETLE GIRL (Danni Garrett), FOXFORCE (Fox's Big 3 including Samson & The Flame), GIRL COMMANDOS (including Beetle Girl, Miss Fury, Flame Girl), and others, including Ron Fortier's BROTHER BONES.
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

As we're discussing this, I'm reminded that Gallant Comics has six issues of its John Aman Amazing Man book available for free download on IndyPlanet.

http://www.indyplanet.us/gallant-comics/

Partial solicitation to the final issue:

By Barry Gregory and Steven Butler. Fun books.
                            I picked this TPB up ... the collected story ... and think it's quite good. Barry Gregory's story is pretty well written ... and Steven Butler's art is exciting and 'fun'.
                            This TPB is one of the best attempts to bring back the Golden Age, Public Domain characters that I've found.
                            If someone finds something better, --- Please let me know.
                            It was great to see the characters so well handled ... especially Amazing Man ... and the Blue Beetle. I really enjoyed it ... Two thumbs up ... from me.!!

Comment

Originally posted by Magno View Post
                              I picked this TPB up ... the collected story ... and think it's quite good. Barry Gregory's story is pretty well written ... and Steven Butler's art is exciting and 'fun'.
                              This TPB is one of the best attempts to bring back the Golden Age, Public Domain characters that I've found.
                              If someone finds something better, --- Please let me know.
                              It was great to see the characters so well handled ... especially Amazing Man ... and the Blue Beetle. I really enjoyed it ... Two thumbs up ... from me.!!
                              I didn't see any Amazing Man TPB listed on the Gallant Comics page at Indy Planet that Captain Canuck posted the link to, so where did you get it? I prefer print comics to digital.

Comment

Finding "How Sharper tun A Dragon's Tooth..."

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                                I didn't see any Amazing Man TPB listed on the Gallant Comics page at Indy Planet that Captain Canuck posted the link to, so where did you get it? I prefer print comics to digital.
                                Pos, ... I had a friend who was going to the San Diego Comic Con pick one up for me. It was signed by Barry Gregory.
                                I'm with you about a printed copy.
                                I think it will show up on that Indy Planet site ... soon... I hope.
                                I texted (?) Barry this morning about a couple of things. I will check and see where you can get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X