Who Else Is Using These Characters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be up soon!!

Word is that Barry just doesn't have it posted up on the site, yet.
    He will do it soon. He just hasn't had the chance ...yet.

Soon.!!

Comment

UH, Oh.... change of plans.!!

Uh, oh.!!
      Just got word from Barry that he's planning on a 'Remastered Edition'...with "new scene and more extras."
      He said he probably wasn't going to reprint the SDCC Edition.

... So, ... I'm not sure what that means as far as availability... and when.
      I'll try to keep you informed, Pos, ... as soon as I know something.

Comment

I could swear someone posted about this before, but there's a role-playing game Kickstarter campaign just launched today which involves some of the public domain types.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Miss Masque, Miss fury, Domino Lady, The Black Bat, Black Terror, Dare-Devil, etc. Not typically my kind of thing, but I wouldn't getting my hands on a couple of the minis.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
          I could swear someone posted about this before, but there's a role-playing game Kickstarter campaign just launched today which involves some of the public domain types.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Miss Masque, Miss fury, Domino Lady, The Black Bat, Black Terror, Dare-Devil, etc. Not typically my kind of thing, but I wouldn't getting my hands on a couple of the minis.
          I doubt this will be funded. Several generic superhero RPGs already exist (Champions, Villains & Vigilantes, GURPS Superheroes), where it would be possible to adapt public domain heroes as player characters. The only PD hero miniature I see as part of a rewards package is Domino Lady. If you're willing to pledge $299, go for it. Not me. Setting the game world in 2044 doesn't seem conducive to the Golden Age characters, anyway. If the game world setting was 100 years earlier, it might be the kind of thing that interests me.

I don't think I'm buying into publisher Mark Thompson's arguments for why previous superhero RPG systems haven't become as big as some of the fantasy and science-fictional RPGs -- essentially, that there was always something wrong with the game world setting, or the mechanics of the rules in prior game systems. Most of the existing generic superhero RPGs are functional, and if there was really a crying need by a large group of gamers for this kind of setting, prior games would have been modified to iron out whatever kinks were in the rules systems, and the background of the game setting would have been added to in greater detail. D&D might be a richly-envisioned game world now, but the earliest version of the game was comparatively sketchy in terms of a lot of background details. That only got added over time, as the game began to catch on in peoples' imaginations. I'm going to say that if superhero RPG games aren't as popular as fantasy & SF game settings, it's because more people want to role-play in those genres than in a superhero universe, or that there's not any general agreement among superhero gamers for what kind of background tone the game universe should establish. For example, I don't want to play a superhero RPG set in some 2044 future setting, like the one Thompson's game takes as its starting point.
          Last edited by positronic; 08-17-2017, 06:43 AM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

No, I don't plan on participating and certainly not at that price point. If they offered the minis separately and individually I might look into it though. I only posted it because it's somewhat relevant to the thread and because, again, I thought it would had been mentioned earlier so as something of an update to those who may be interested.

Asking for $100,000 for this is pretty bold and I find some parts of it a little unclear but my RPG days are well behind me so that may be why. And when I checked it yesterday, some parts of the campaign seemed incomplete. So I don't think it'll fly either. I do find it cool that they'd include Domino Lady and the Black Bat and so on, but I recognize that I could have, you know...done that myself.

Comment

Sounds like what you're really looking for, Captain, is a Kickstarter where you can get some plastic figures of public domain superheroes. I've seen a few out there.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                Sounds like what you're really looking for, Captain, is a Kickstarter where you can get some plastic figures of public domain superheroes. I've seen a few out there.
                I'm not actively looking but it was the aspect of that particular campaign I found most interesting. They had said there would be a card game too and I might have like to see what those looked like.

I do try to remember to check on Fresh Monkey Fiction from time to time too in case they produce something I really like but I haven't bought anything of theirs.

https://freshmonkeyfiction.ecwid.com/#

Again, it's more to share with whomever else might like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                  The All-American Victory Legion is based on characters from Centaur Comics, a publisher that closed its doors in 1942. In 2010, Alan Kupperberg was commissioned by a fan to create stories based on these public domain characters. Done as if these Golden Age heroes were in the middle of a Silver Age revival the stories were found among Alanís files after his death in 2015. Alanís brother, Paul Kupperberg has taken up the editorial mantle and is helping to get Super Gorillas vs the All-American Victory Legion to print.
                  http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/im-go...ictory-legion/
                  Did anybody get and read Super Gorillas vs the All-American Victory Legion #1?
                  Is it in full color, black-&-white, or done with limited coloring?

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                    Did anybody get and read Super Gorillas vs the All-American Victory Legion #1?
                    Is it in full color, black-&-white, or done with limited coloring?
                    Seems to be full color, unless the print version is different than the Kindle version. Apart from the price, which is 8 bucks print ($10.94 CDN), or 3 bucks for the ebook ($4.08 CDN) which is not bad for 40 pages. There's an Amazon link (and "Look Inside" preview) in that article. Kindle version has more preview pages to look at.
                    Last edited by positronic; 08-20-2017, 06:55 AM.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Working...
                    X