X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone Ranger movie confirmed!

This just in from MTV News:

“Hi-Ho Silver, away!”
    A modern movie hero who doesn’t curse, doesn’t use slang, who doesn’t drink or smoke or visit saloons, who believes in God and country and a strict moral code, who only uses guns when he has to, and even then never shoots to kill? The American West is about to get a dose of reserved cowboy justice, as super producer Jerry Bruckheimer has confirmed to MTV News that he’s developing a “Lone Ranger” series of films.
    “It’s being written, well it’s not being written now, but it’s about to be written,” he said of the rumored project. “We were just working out the story before the strike and hopefully that will end soon and we can continue on.”
    We, in this case, means “Pirates of the Caribbean” writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio. But don’t think that means the titular hero will be anything like Captain Jack, cautions Bruckheimer, who revealed that the story wouldn’t be an update, but instead something of an origin story. That means adhering to the strict moral code laid down by “Lone Ranger” creator Fran Striker.
    “I wouldn’t say it’s an updating of the tale, I would say it’s kind of getting back to the roots of the tale,” Bruckheimer confessed. “Where it originated from — it’s about Texas Rangers, so we’re going to take it to how the characters are created.”
    It would be a somewhat fitting next step for Bruckheimer and crew, considering that fifteen years ago the two genres that were universally acknowledged to be dead were pirate movies and westerns. When you’ve conquered one, why not go for the other?
    On the future of that first lucrative franchise, meanwhile, Bruckheimer said the time isn’t yet right to discuss “Pirates 4.”
    “Not yet, not yet,” he said, smiling. “We’re still counting the money from the last one!”

Great to hear that the movie is confirmed now - I can't wait to see it.

I have the utmost faith in Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio - they did a wonderful job in creating The Mask of Zorro - I'm certain they'll justice to the Lone Ranger.

[Please keep in mind that they had nothing to do with 2005's abysmal Legend of Zorro. That was all Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman's doing, and to think that Paramount is letting them do a Star Trek movie now ... ]

Comment

I wonder if it will be based on the DE Ranger comic?
      Comic2read

Comment

Originally posted by Comic2read
        I wonder if it will be based on the DE Ranger comic?
        I don't think so. Of course, since they're starting with the origin, I'm sure there will be similarities to the first arc. They will be the same similarities shared by the radio origin, the TV origin, The Legend of the Lone Ranger, and the comic. Texas Rangers, ambush, lone survivor, etc.

I am really looking forward to see how this turns out. I really enjoyed the Pirates of the Carribean movies. I like how they were sure to mention Striker's name. That gives me hope that this adaptation will strive to remain true to the character. Hopefully it doesn't end up being another fiasco like that WB abomination.
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
        PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
        PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

on a related subject I have 17 of some of the best episodes of the old radio series in MP3, from 1937 to 1954 if anyone wants to open me an hosting acount somehere, or you can listen to them on steam real player format here

http://www.otr.net./?p=lone

the episode list I judge best:

- Lone Ranger 1937-05-10 Crooked Banker and Sheriff
          - Lone Ranger 1938-01-24 Silver Mine Susprise
          - Lone Ranger 1938-04-18 King Of The Country
          - Lone Ranger 1941-03-05 A New Leaf
          - Lone Ranger 1941-04-25 Dodge City Or Bust
          - Lone Ranger 1943-03-29 Aztec Mystery
          - Lone Ranger 1943-03-31 The Temple Of The Sun
          - Lone Ranger 1943-04-02 Murder Blooms At Night
          - Lone Ranger 1943-04-05 Dan Goes to Jail
          - Lone Ranger 1943-04-07 Dan's Horse
          - Lone Ranger 1943-04-09 Death Comes to El Mundo
          - Lone Ranger 1943-10-15 The Man From the East
          - Lone Ranger 1944-04-10 Calamity Jane
          - Lone Ranger 1946-06-05 The Saddle
          - Lone Ranger 1948-06-30 Origin Of The Lone Ranger
          - Lone Ranger 1953-08-31 Drought
          - Lone Ranger 1954-07-14 Boots And The Rodeo

total = 111 mb

Some episodes unfortunately are stuck in a never ending arc story so I avoided those; and the funny thing is the name Bush is very well known in the Lone Ranger Texas history and in one episode associated to crime and corruption, just like in today's politics, how about that
          Last edited by Renaud; 02-28-2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X