No announcement yet.

Incomprehensible, baffling mess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm talking about the internal logic (such as it is) of the story, not how it's marketed. Yes, it is about Vampirella being shoehorned into Dracula's story, after-the-fact. The addition of Vampirella to the story (since she isn't cast in one of the existing "roles" in Dracula's story) represents a rogue element that has a better chance of breaking the never-ending cycle of Dracula's story. Dracula wants to break the cycle as well, and he seems to be the only one who's completely cognizant of what's really going on here. Vampirella wants to break the cycle by destroying Dracula permanently, whereas Dracula wants to be free of the cycle so he can be unbound from the plot of the story and become the master of his own destiny. If the story seems disorienting at first, it's because Vampirella herself is disoriented by what she experiences and remembers upon becoming part of Dracula's story.

This is the Dracula of Vampirella's universe, but this story serves as a way of incorporating and explaining how both Bram Stoker's classic novel and Alan Moore's modern Dracula story (and possibly, other iterations of the Dracula character in past Vampirella stories) can all be "true".

Come to think of it, Dynamite published a graphic story adaptation of Bram Stoker's novel too. And a fine adaptation it is, the best I've ever seen in comic form.

Having just read the 3rd issue of VvsD, it seems (at least to me) to be a bit more expository regarding the "logic" behind the metafiction. Hopefully this will be enough to mollify those who've been critical of the "baffling mess"... If you're still not "getting it" at this point, it's probably time to move on.
    Last edited by positronic; 04-14-2012, 04:24 AM.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Working...
    X