No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you break into comics? When did you decide you wanted to do this as a career?

I have enjoyed drawing comic book characters since I was small, but it was just for fun. Later I met Ed Benes, who had a studio near my home, and I was fascinated by the process of drawing comics. Then I realized I could make a living at drawing, and I started drawing more seriously, until I got my first professional job.

Who has been the biggest influence on you and on your comics career?

Ed Benes has been a huge influence, and has had the biggest impact on my career. I also really enjoy the work of Pasqual Ferry, Ivan Reis and Olivier Coipel.

What projects have you worked on in the past? Any favorites?

I have drawn Superman for DC and Darkness for Top Cow, as well as Warlord of Mars for Dynamite. I take great joy in seeing progress in my work, and I am really enjoying Pathfinder, which I like to think is some of my best work so far.

Do you typically work by yourself? What do you do to recharge your creative batteries? What do you find relaxing / enjoyable in your spare time?

I do most of my work at home or at Ed's studio. In my free time I enjoy hiking and watching movies.

Can you describe a typical day at work for us?

I start work at around 8am and go until noon, then break for lunch. I resume work in the afternoon, and often work into the evening.

Do you use computers at all in your work or is it all drawn by hand? Have you had any professional training as an artist?

My art is all drawn by hand, I use the computer only for reference. I have spent several years as a member of the Ed Benes studio, where I have worked directly with Ed on improving my skills.

What element of your work gives you the most personal satisfaction?

I really enjoy seeing my work as it is published. It is always exciting to see the final product in color!

You have a great handle on drawing fantasy. Were you into RPG (role-playing games - games like Pathfinder, Dungeons & Dragons, Final Fantasy) when you were younger? If you did not play these types of games, were you exposed to fantasy material in other ways?

I played very little RPG, but always liked the look of the characters and their universe. I enjoy watching fantasy movies when I have time.

Are there any particular Pathfinder characters that you're enjoying drawing the most? If so, who?

All characters have their quirks, and are fun to work with for different reasons. I'm really enjoying Ezren right now, as I think I identify most with this character (ha!). It is also fun to work with Harsk.

Do you have a top list of favorite characters or stories you'd like to tackle drawing in the future? Can you name a few?

My favorite characters are Batman, Captain America, and Green Lantern, and I hope I have an opportunity to work with them in the future. I would also enjoy working on Westerns.