Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Writer’s Commentary: Shawn Aldridge on Hack/Slash vs Vampirella #2, on sale NOW!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Writer’s Commentary: Shawn Aldridge on Hack/Slash vs Vampirella #2, on sale NOW!

A Writer’s Commentary: Shawn Aldridge on Hack/Slash vs Vampirella #2, on sale NOW from Dynamite!

The Blood Red Queen of Hearts continues her quest to win the love of the Mad-god Chaos by sacrificing innocents. Cassie Hack and Vampirella have teamed up to put a stop to it by any means necessary. Including a good, old-fashioned baseball bat beating.

Share it all here with writer Shawn Aldridge. Buy the book, read the book, come back here for some behind-the-scenes fun!

Shawn Aldridge ….

Pg 1-4

Picking up where we left off with issues #1, Cassie and Vlad are battling a demon. Here I wanted to establish that Cassie isn’t necessarily in a situation she’s unfamiliar with, not a fish out of water. She’s just doesn’t care for the water. Demons ain’t her thing. Another element is seeing that Cassie and Vlad know how to fight together. They’re a team.

Pg 5

Things look lost for our heroes. Cassie’s stabbing the demon in the balls is a way to show she’s a bit of a dirty fighter. Rapha’s angles and perspective really help sell the kinetic energy of the fight.

Pg 6

Speaks for itself.

Pg 7-8

Again, stressing the difference between Vampirella and Cassie’s relationship vs Vampirella and Vlad’s. The other thing I try to accomplish with this transition scene is give a little more bits of character definition. Info that makes the characters feel a little more real and layered.

Pg 9

The Blood Queen. A simple scene. Just giving a little more character to Blood Queen. Her hate for Vampirella.

Pg 10-11

A scene that’s told more through Rapha’s art than the writing. There’s a lot of body language that’s selling who Cassie is – Cassie’s impatience.

Pg 12-13

If you have to do an info dump, in this case, the origin of the Blood Queen, you try to find an interesting way to do it. I like doing scenes where the info is overlaid on a scene where the action matches but only in a metaphorical way.

Pg 14-15

Intro the classic costume. This is one of my favorite scenes in the book. The reactions of Cassie and Vlad convey so much of who they are.

Pg 16-17

Vampirella has no time for Cassie’s attitude or opinions on her attire. Cassie and Vlad get a moment. Fist bumps are never bad.

Pg 18

I poke a little fun at myself with the abandoned warehouse line. I really like Vampirella’s last line.

Pg 19-20

We finally get to see all three in action together.

Pg 21

Cassie makes a mistake and the tension mounts.

Pg 22

Leave them wanting more. Also, you knew the Cassie vs. Vampirella fight was coming.

Working...
X