Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BRIAN WOOD & ALEX COX talk JOHN CARTER: THE END #2, on sale in March!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRIAN WOOD & ALEX COX talk JOHN CARTER: THE END #2, on sale in March!

BRIAN WOOD & ALEX COX talk JOHN CARTER: THE END #2, on sale in March from Dynamite!

BYRON BREWER: Brian and Alex, after the dozens of treatments both John Carter and Dejah Thoris have received at Dynamite, including a wonderful recent run by Ron Marz, how did you decide on the Go-Big-Kirby approach to this future saga?

BRIAN WOOD: Kirby wasnít my point of reference, but I did want to try and hit some of those 70ís Heavy Metal-esque points, in the imagery and the locations and weaponsÖ something that I know the material calls for but isnít automatically in my wheelhouse. Enter Alex Cox. That sort of thing is totally in his wheelhouse. He brings the authenticity.

ALEX COX: When you're writing the apocalypse, big seems like the only way to go! This is the punctuation at the end of a long sentence. With a character like John Carter, that needed to be a fat, bold exclamation mark.

BB: I know there were specific goals and desired looks for this book. How have you both worked with artist Hayden Sherman to make sure everything has that Burrows feel covered with Kirby Krackle?

AC: From the word 'go', we all had a very clear idea of what we wanted the look and tone of this series to be. The editors, the art team... everybody seemed to be in sync with exactly what this was going to evoke. It's been really great -- we've all shared some of the same touchpoint influences, and when you realize that the whole team is dipping into the same visual inkwell, it makes the shorthand when you're writing a lot easier. We know Hayden is probably thinking of the same French albums (or whatever) we are when it comes time to tip hats in those directions.

BB: From what I have seen, issue #1 looks and reads spectacularly. How do you both work with one another and Hayden to keep these adventures seamless? Can you tell us the process, and for such an iconic character?

BW: Like Alex said, itís that unity of vision. Itís also a bit of staying out of each otherís way and letting everyone do their thing the way they do it. That was a lesson I learned pretty early in my career Ė get out of the artistís hair. And when everyone is on the same page, it just works.

BB: In all my readings of John Carter, I donít believe I have ever not seen Dejah at his side. Why was their alienation of each other a desired story element for this iteration?

BW: Any relationship has its ups and downs, its periods of good times and bad. John and Dejah are no different. It wouldnít be realistic otherwise, and in giving them that strife, it allows us to follow different narrative paths and up the drama a bit.

BB: There were several mentions about John and Dejahís children missing from a few runs. That is certainly not the case here, eh?

BW: Well, to get too much into that would reveal more than we want to about the story at this early point.

AC: This is a pretty far-flung future weíre at, so thereís been several generations born and grown and so on. The son we reference in the early information regarding this series is more like a grandchild they raised. Again, weíre saying too much.

BB: Tell us the general state of Barsoom as this saga gets into its second issue in March.

AC: War, disease, decay, death. Not great. And the deeper John and Dejah look, the more toxic everything is. They have their work cut out for them.
Working...
X