Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ROB WILLIAMS talks PROJECT SUPERPOWERS #2, out in SEPTEMBER!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROB WILLIAMS talks PROJECT SUPERPOWERS #2, out in SEPTEMBER!

ROB WILLIAMS talks PROJECT SUPERPOWERS #2, out in SEPTEMBER from Dynamite!

BYRON BREWER: Rob, like many comics in the Dynamite stable, Project Superpowers had an epic intro Zero Issue. As a writer, how does that change how you structure in your mind that story and those going forward. Is it a prelude of sorts, or is PS #2 coming in September in your mind really your Issue #3?

ROB WILLIAMS: As the zero issue is 16 pages and Dynamite was willing to back it with a 10c price tag, itís the perfect chance to get new readers into this world and the new story, but to do so in a way thatís not just exposition and an info dump. We needed to do a quick summary of who these characters are but set up an enticing mystery for the series to come too. And to showcase the strengths of our series artist, Sergio Davilla, who does big superhero visuals. Hopefully weíve done those things.

BB: Youíve said the Devil has a huge role going forward in this series. Can you be more specific without hitting Spoilers Country?

RW: Not really, sorry. But the man who wore that costume is dead, so how, exactly, is the costume running around the place, changing shape and desperately trying to warn Green Lama about something big thatís coming? Heís a cool visual is The Death Defying Devil, so it seemed the right thing to do to make him core to the series.

BB: I donít know why, but the name ďPandoraĒ keeps going across my mind when thinking of your PSP iteration. Anything you can say, sir?

RW: I donít know what youíre talking about! But the Project Superpowers characters came to this time in a a magical urn that was actually Pandoraís Box. Thatís interesting, isnít itÖ

BB: What can you tell us, if anything, about someone called ďAmaniĒ? (Címon!)

RW: Sheís a brand new character. An African-American girl from Auburn who, when we meet her in #1, is traveling to New York to meet her estranged father. Sheís never flown before. Never seen Manhattan in person before, and she has a big part to play in our tale. Superheroes are so much about a sense of wonder, not cynicism. And Amani provides our wonder, letís put it that way.

BB: What is the biggest challenge in day to day life these World War II heroes have had to cope with, do you think? Will you be touching on their rather binary mindset at all during this series? Fascinating stuff.

RW: Yeah, thematically thatís a big part of whatís going on here. Theyíre heroes from another time. A more simple time when they knew who the bad guys were. Now, no oneís sure. Your neighbor could be the bad guy. Thatís why they feel like they donít belong here. Part of the series is asking if they can have a role in modern times. Are superheroes this old-fashioned thing?

BB: Which of these heroes, at least at this point (July, with #0 publishing), would you like to take into a solo series (even if itís a villain)?

RW: Iím kind of enjoying them as a group, to be honest. I think Amani, and what happens to her, could have its own series, definitely.

BB: Rob, you were silent last month on coming projects for you. Anything you can share with our readers this time Ďround?

RW: Iím currently writing Suicide Squad for DC, Roy of the Rovers young adult graphic novels for Rebellion and Judge Dredd for 2000AD. Plus a top secret thing thatís really exciting, but I canít talk about that here. Annoying, isnít it?

BB: Yes. (laughs)
Working...
X