RYAN BROWNE talks PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: HEROKILLERS #1, on sale in MAY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RYAN BROWNE talks PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: HEROKILLERS #1, on sale in MAY

RYAN BROWNE talks PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: HEROKILLERS #1, on sale in MAY from Dynamite!

BYRON BREWER: Ryan, this is a very different kind of Superpowers Universe story. Can you tell us how this came about?

RYAN BROWNE: Yeah, sure! Matt Idelson (who edits the book) is a friend and a fan of what I did on my other book, God Hates Astronauts. He brought me in to pitch a book that was intentionally opposite of what Dynamite had done with Project Superpowers in the past. Using the dark absurdist humor of GHA to turn PSP on its head!

We figured out a way to create a world full of dark humor where the ridiculousness of having 100 superheroes running around is fully acknowledged. Itís dark and itís funóand itís certainly not your dadís Project Superpowers.

BB: Tell us about the three teen heroes who star in the book. Were they all sidekicks? Can you give us a description of each, including their powers if any?

RB: Hah! Yeah, these three kids are the best. Captain Battle Jr., Sparky, and, uh, Tim. They are all sidekicks to other Project Superpowers characters: Big Blue, Captain Battle, and Black Terror. Captain Battle Jr. can sort of punch hard and has a jetpack, Sparky can shoot dinky little sparks, and Tim, well, heís just Tim.

The main concept of the story focuses around the fact that Black Terror, a mysterious and dark hero, has a sidekick that they didnít even bother to give a secret identity to. Treat a kid like crap for long enough, and somethingís got to give!

BB: I know one of the goals is to poke fun at the different tropes of the superhero genre (sidekicks being one?). Did you sit and make a list of the tropes that you have seen and/or used in tales of the capes? Can you give us a few to look for by way of example?

RB: This book focuses on what motivations heroes have behind doing their daily heroing work. They must all be thrill-seeking egomaniacs, right? Well, they are in the world of Project Superpowersówell, at least in my version.

Herokillers is also about the loss of innocence for your wonderfully naÔve super sidekicks. They make a bad decision early on and the lies just keep piling on top of lies on top of lies. Weíve never seen a sidekick story quite like this one.

BB: Tell us about Libertyville.

RB: Libertyville is actually named after my wifeís hometown of Libertyville, Illinois. What a great superhero town name! In the book, though, the name Libertyville had become synonymous with the word CRIME! In order to combat said crime, the mayor of Libertyville created tax and housing benefits for Superheroes if theyíd fly into town and clean it up. This resulted in waaaaayyy too many heroes and a city where crime is completely eradicated.

This is where we find Libertyville. A bunch of egomaniacal superheroes desperate to stand out in an over-crowded hero marketplace.

BB: How does it feel to be working with artist Pete Woods on this book? How closely are you guys collaborating here?

RB: Oh, itís truly awesome. Iíve never been so excited to get pages from an artist. Pete has such a handle of ever aspect of comics art and storytelling that itís been nothing but a joy to work with him!

BB: Ryan, are there any projects current or near-future youíre working on that youíd like to tell us about?

RB: I am currently co-creating a fun series at Image called Curse Words with Charles Soule. Itís filled with the same sort of black humor of Herokillers, but with slightly more wizards and koalas. Other then that, if you are curious about the tone and sense of humor of Herokillers, Iíd recommend checking out my other book God Hates Astronauts. Word!

https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/v...13025837301011

Originally posted by Byron View Post
    ...itís certainly not your dadís Project Superpowers.
    Or mine. The unfortunate thing about this is I would have enjoyed a more straight book about those various sidekicks. Dynamite's Teen Titans, as it were. It could have included healthy doses of humour, of course, but it would have been a good way to blend history with new aspects.

Comment

I wonder how much this will be like the old Rick Veitch comic book Brat Pack?

http://static3.comicvine.com/uploads...-brat-pack.jpg

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/bratpack-1/4000-33066/

Comment

Ryan Browne's GOD HATES ASTRONAUTS was one of the funniest comics I've read in modern times. With that in mind, this strikes me as more likely to entertain me than BLACKCROSS, so... whatever. I guess they could just do nothing at all with PSP. Couldn't be any worse than James Robinson's AIRBOY, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
          I wonder how much this will be like the old Rick Veitch comic book Brat Pack
          It's been years since I read it, and maybe I need to go back and refresh my memory about it, but I don't recall Brat Pack as being particularly that funny. It was sort of darkly satirical when you analyze it, I guess, but I'm not sure if it was satirizing superheroes so much as it was satirizing (but not really parodying) the then-current zeitgeist of deconstructionism in superhero comics. Or at least that's my memory of it now.

Comment

Working...
          X